OK, I am looking to buy a Laney VH100R, as the title says. Now, even after reading the stickied thread in this section of the forums I am still a little confused about heads and cabs. When I buy this am I right in saying I only get the head? and I have to buy the cab separately? if so, what cab should I buy and what price am I looking at paying for both of these? I don't need a ridiculously large cab or anything btw.

EDIT:
Can anyone recommend me any reliable online retailers that sell this amp? I live in Australia, so a retailer from here would be preferable. But I may look at importing from America if buying it in Australia is not possible.
Last edited by Saike at Oct 23, 2009,
Yeah if your buying from an online site new you just get the head. I believe they are about 1600$ USD. You would need a cab and that's all preference. I liked the one i played thru my buddies Vader cab. He has a Vader 2x12 cabinet. It sounds great. So thats really up to you. If your not looking for a 4x12 i'd recommend the 2x12 Vader cab. It has 240 watts of handling and is built real well. Again like i said cabs are all preference. The VH100R is a hell of a good head though man.
Thankyou, I didn't realise you could mix and match, still on the look out for good online retailers though :P
Ebay.Seriously,whilst that guy said it's $1600 USD it will be ALOT more in a shop in Australia.
I think there's a VH100R sitting on ebay for something like $1700 with a cab.Importing is always an option,but I beleive you would have to change the fuses for it to work over here.And even after you've paid to get it posted over here,anything imported to the country over $1000 in value gets a 15% tax on it.But you'll still probably end up getting it cheaper by doing that than buying at a shop here.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Damn, didn't think about the fuses, I found one on UK ebay for a nice price, just the head though, how much work would changing all the fuses and power stuff take?
Not that much at all I don't think.Fuses are only a few dollars,but I don't know what else you would need to do.A new kettle plug I know that.
How much is it to ship it here?
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Quote by Saike
OK, I am looking to buy a Laney VH100R, as the title says. Now, even after reading the stickied thread in this section of the forums I am still a little confused about heads and cabs. When I buy this am I right in saying I only get the head? and I have to buy the cab separately? if so, what cab should I buy and what price am I looking at paying for both of these? I don't need a ridiculously large cab or anything btw.

EDIT:
Can anyone recommend me any reliable online retailers that sell this amp? I live in Australia, so a retailer from here would be preferable. But I may look at importing from America if buying it in Australia is not possible.

If you import you would still need a step-down transformer or to replace the power transformer to play it on our electric systems. Those are costly.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Quote by TOMMYB22
If you import you would still need a step-down transformer or to replace the power transformer to play it on our electric systems. Those are costly.

Gaah, how come Australia has to fail in a trillion different ways. Does anyone know any Australian retailers (online or not) that stock Laney amps, so far I've found none. Obviously if I go Australian I won't be able to get the VH100R, because it will most likely be over 9000 dollars so what other laney heads are cheaper but awesome still?
Ive never owned a head before, so forgive me, but does the head even connect to the power supply? or does it just plug into the cab which then goes into the power supply?
Quote by Ian hawkins
Ebay.Seriously,whilst that guy said it's $1600 USD it will be ALOT more in a shop in Australia.
I think there's a VH100R sitting on ebay for something like $1700 with a cab.Importing is always an option,but I beleive you would have to change the fuses for it to work over here.And even after you've paid to get it posted over here,anything imported to the country over $1000 in value gets a 15% tax on it.But you'll still probably end up getting it cheaper by doing that than buying at a shop here.

man the exchange rate is awesome at the moment, getting stuff from america to australia is the cheapest its been for a long time
Quote by samlocke14
man the exchange rate is awesome at the moment, getting stuff from america to australia is the cheapest its been for a long time

The main problem is converting the power supplies, or doesn't that apply to US -> Australia?
Quote by Saike
The main problem is converting the power supplies, or doesn't that apply to US -> Australia?

oh yeah, australia is 240, america is 110 i think.
randall amps have voltage selector switches but most amps from amaerica yes you would need a step down transformer to avoid blowing it up
Looking into it, step - down transformers aren't that expensive compared to how much I'm saving by buying from America, and it's only a minor inconvenience to take around with me.
Quote by Saike
Looking into it, step - down transformers aren't that expensive compared to how much I'm saving by buying from America, and it's only a minor inconvenience to take around with me.

I'm pretty sure the VH100R has a switch for voltage, but I could be wrong. I never used the switch and I sold the Laney ages ago tbh.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.