I'm thinking about getting an acoustic/electric, hollowbody, semi-hollow or solidbody electric 12-string to play in my church, and I posted this thread in the Electric Forum. One poster thinks I might have more luck posting in this Forum.

Instead of just reposting the whole thread, here's the link.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1219771

Thanks in advance for whatever advice you can give me!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
One thing I'm not trying to do is get the 12 to the fore of the sound. With 3 pros already in the band, I'd far and away be the last to be the focal point. Heck, most of the solo work falls on the pianist!

Of the electrics, I'm leaning less towards solidbodies and more towards hollow or semi-hollow, overall. I haven't seen too much of the solidbody 12s that impressed me.

But the acoustics aren't out of the running, to be sure.

I've owned a Caddy Green Ovation Elite (deep bowl) for...jeeze...15 years? And I love it- bright, resonant, etc., and I came close to buying a Seagull some years ago for its warmth. The only reason I bought a Yamaha instead is that the particular Seagull I wanted was backordered more than 6 months, and the Yamaha was reeeaaaaly what I needed at the time.

In part, I'm concerned about the size of the acoustics- I'm a bit hefty- but also about tone. An acoustic 12 might sort of blend in too much with the other acoustics- a hollow or semihollow 12 would blend in a little but still add a different tonal character to the mix.

Here's a question- the space I'd be playing in, if I do this, is HUGE. The 2 guitar players use acoustics- a Larivee and (I believe) a Taylor- through the system, but since we're going through a system to serve the space, wouldn't an electric handle it better?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Just out of curiosity- do you (or anyone else, for that matter) have any idea as to how other guitars in the Godin family of instruments stack up to the Seagulls? I mean, I love the Seagulls, but are there any other 12s in Godin's line I should consider?

Personally, I wish they'd never recovered Mr. Blunt from his dive...

Nothing personal JB!- you're just too wussy for me.

But the guitar might be interesting.

Did you ever get the feeling that God was giving you a sign?

I was just looking around online and found this just a few miles from where I live:

http://www.musicgoround.com/product.aspx?id=737744

Well, my aforementioned Ovation is one of those leaf-hole models, albeit a 6-string.

They're bright and very articulate- personally, I've not heard a muddy note on mine, and I tuned that thing to Robert Fripp's NST (C/G/D/A/E/G). I've had it for 15+ years and it has never let me down.

Well, that 12-string Ovation wasn't "The One." It was overall in good shape, but had a couple of condition issues that I didn't want to deal with. It was also a thinline, which I'm not sure is best for an Ovation- they can get a bit shrill.

The search goes on...

After trying out the used Ovation 12, I tried out a new one at GC (of a lower-level model- the only one they had in stock), checked out the price of a "leafy" Ovation 12 and also tried out a Breedlove.

The Ovation was a nice full-bowl design, and it may sell me on the line...but if I'm buying an Ovation, dammit, I want one that looks like an Ovation! And that means some kind of whacky sound-holes!

The Breedlove was a beauty, and it and the "leafy" Ovations are about the same price, between $700-900. The Breedlove had a nice warm sound, but its treble notes didn't ring out quite the same way as the Ovation's did.

Still, didn't make any decisions because, honestly, I didn't have the opportunity to give them a fair run-through. The little test rooms were both occupied, and the main acoustic room was being dominated by a guy giving an excellent impromptu concert that I had no desire to disrupt. (Plus I had to get my little cousin home...)

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Oct 26, 2009,

I'm generally a slow & methodical shopper- it took me 3 years to pick a new car at one point in my life. Similarly, it took me forever to pick out a Cored Cherry Jon Kammerer guitar- I'd been looking at them since I met the guy, and I bought one for myself for my birthday this year- a span of about 2 years.

However, if/when I find "The One" (of whatever), I'll strike like a viper.

If that Ovation had been in better shape, I'd be practicing on it right now!