Poll: Who give Metallica "the sound"?
Poll Options
View poll results: Who give Metallica "the sound"?
Lars
21 25%
Hetfield
65 76%
Cliff
32 38%
Dave
24 28%
Kirk
26 31%
Voters: 85.
Do you even pay attention to lyrics on songs where you can NOT understand them (by looking them up in the internet) or they just smoked pot and wrote pretty much anything?

I think that growl-singing is really degrading IMO, and is only done to make the song sound like… br00tlz.

And poll was just random.
Growling is used to add atmosphere. Try to imagine most death metal with a different vocal style. You don't like it, that's cool. Others do.

If lyrics are badly written, though, I tend not to like the song much at all.
It sounds good to a lot of people like me. Don't get me wrong, it's not perfect, but like Akerfeldt, some singing, some "RAAAWRRR"

It's awesome.
The playground of the world
Quote by Fiire
I think that growl-singing is really degrading IMO, and is only done to make the song sound like… br00tlz.

It's supposed to be br00tlz, hence the growling in the first place. How's it degrading if it's supposed to be like that? That's like saying that in rap songs, rapping is only done to make the song sound like... hip-hop.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.

You don't like Death Metal, don't listen then. No one is making you. Just like I don't choose to listen to Lesbian Singer-Songwriters.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
Quote by Fiire
Do you even pay attention

Quote by Fiire
on... where you can NOT... smoked pot and... anything?

No, I can't say I have

Quote by Fiire
I think

Quote by Fiire
growl-singing is.. and is only... the sound like

Swollen with liquid
Ready to burst
A load of my lymph
Will quench this dead body's thirst
One month in the grave
twisted and half decayed
She turned a putrid yellow
I pisse din her maggot filled asshole

****ing the rotting
My semen is bleeding
The smell of decay
Seeps from her genital cavity

The smell was unbearable
As I unburied her
I cum blood from my erection
I feel it run
down her throat, swallow

Eyes glassy and vacant
body dug up to play with
Skin greasy and naked
tounguing her rotted anus

I need a live woman
to fill with my fluid
A delicate girl, to mutilate, **** and kill
her body exceptional
she thought I was normal
but I wanted more

I came blood inside of her
chocking on the clot
gagging on the snot
gushing blood, from her mouth
bloody gel leaking out
Body buried in a shallow grave
Unmarked for none to find
The sickness I have left behind
Undetected go my crimes
The greatest thrill of my life

Violnet, climax
Serging serum
on my skin

Back from the dead
I am resurrected
to spew, putrefaction

Its beutiful...
Quote by darkcheef
Sometimes I wish Death Metal was purely instrumental

Listen to some Blotted Science

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Quote by KeepOnRotting

same. Ex: Skeletonwitch
lyrics suck, so i like them way less than I would if they were meaningful
Tool
Sleep
Gojira
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread
Quote by Zaphikh

No, I can't say I have

I dont feel like writing okay atm, its friday afternoon and nothing else to do.
Quote by Necrophagist777
Listen to some Blotted Science

Thank you SO much, I have been trying to find one especially a progressive one for so long.
IDGAF about the lyrics as long as there's a good chorus to yell out.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Quote by darkcheef
Thank you SO much, I have been trying to find one especially a progressive one for so long.

Blotted Science is amazing. Glad you like em.

Even though it's more neo-classical, Jeff Loomis solo album has some really heavy riffs.

Quote by chaos13
same. Ex: Skeletonwitch
lyrics suck, so i like them way less than I would if they were meaningful

You list disturbed in your favorite bands, and you say skeletonwitch has bad lyrics?

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Last edited by Necrophagist777 at Oct 23, 2009,
TS you fail sooo hard. i love it.
Quote by Briyan_15
I think this man has a reputation to defend and "poop head" is not in that reputation.

Quote by omegasus
RUSSELL! WHAT THE ****!!!!
Clicked all of them.

(But it's Hetfield.)
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by jeremessmore
Then Listen to the Black Dahlia Murder. I mean sure they are meaningless as well but they actually have something to do with something.

They aren't meaningless, the music is extreme and very "Metal", in my opinion the lyrics should be too. IMO lyrics about Vampires sucking children's blood is more relevant to the music as opposed to a song about how your mommy makes you eat 3 servings of fruit a day.

Even if someone wants lyrics that relate to real life then they should write them in a semi-dark/poetic way that relates to the music as opposed to be direct about your girlfriend or your parents divorce or your cat being youthanized when you were a child.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
I like growling in some songs, and good job to whoever said death metal wouldnt be the same without it, and he's right, but I prefer WORDS, and I can actually make out 95% of most growled lyrics, but I actually hate like, "BREEEEEEEEEE BREEEEEEEEE BREEEEEE, *pig squeel* in like ALL of deathcore, That to me just isnt metal and serves no purpose. just IMO.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Quote by Necrophagist777
They aren't meaningless, the music is extreme and very "Metal", in my opinion the lyrics should be too. IMO lyrics about Vampires sucking children's blood is more relevant to the music as opposed to a song about how your mommy makes you eat 3 servings of fruit a day.

Even if someone wants lyrics that relate to real life then they should write them in a semi-dark/poetic way that relates to the music as opposed to be direct about your girlfriend or your parents divorce or your cat being youthanized when you were a child.

I guess you're right, I just thought that the black dahlia murder pertained to this thread.
Quote by jeremessmore
Then Listen to the Black Dahlia Murder. I mean sure they are meaningless as well but they actually have something to do with something.

All Shall Perish also write really good music and have great lyrics but they're like REAL subjects, you know?
Quote by Briyan_15
I think this man has a reputation to defend and "poop head" is not in that reputation.

Quote by omegasus
RUSSELL! WHAT THE ****!!!!
It's ok up to a point, when they pitchshift it down to 7 octaves under middle C, it's too much.

Otherwise, even random raaaaaaawrls or let's go's are added for a cooler sound.
Quote by BobDetroit
Directions:
Unplug keyboard.
Place it in your butt so you can't post anymore.

Quote by Fadetoblack5:03
You deserve some form of awesome reward, but I'm to lazy. Imagine the rest of these:

Quote by Fiire's favorite bands
AC/DC, Metallica & Megadeth, Weezer, Queen, Green Day (Am. Idiot), The Fray, etc.

I'd rather have bad lyrics I can't understand than bad lyrics I can understand.
Another topic coming from a closed-minded idiot... not liking something doesn't make it bad, you know?

If you don't like it, don't listen to it, it is as simple as that. Do you hear me complaining about Metallica fans? No.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

Quote by TheBigProjekt
It's ok up to a point, when they pitchshift it down to 7 octaves under middle C, it's too much.

Actually generally growlers take pride in NOT pitch shifting their vocals and I can't think of any band I listen to on a regular basis who does so.

For the record, I love a good growl and also a good black metal shriek, the only type of extreme vocals I don't really like are inhales (including pig squealing) but even they can be good if used well.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by TheBigProjekt

Growlers don't do that (generally). Growls don't even have a discernible pitch anyway.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by Fiire
I think that growl-singing is really degrading

I hate things that are degrading.

Ummm....what is growl-vocals degrading again?
epic7734
Thats what makes it good, and is also why people dont like heavey metal, its always cause of the screams....but thats what makes it so powerful and awesome
------------------------------------------------------------------------
your insane, but reasonable
Quote by KeepOnRotting
Growling is used to add atmosphere. Try to imagine most death metal with a different vocal style. You don't like it, that's cool. Others do.

This, Also Opeth is by far my favorite band. They are the only band I listen to with growls and I think it fits the music extremely well. Their music far surpasses it though.
We sailed through endless skies...

Quote by King Twili

if someone sigs this i will be fairly displeased.

Lady Gaga has a penis! >>EVIDENCE<<

i¯i▀▀▀i¯i‾°δ‾‾Pך]█████████████████████████
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
Growlers don't do that (generally). Growls don't even have a discernible pitch anyway.

Every noise in the world has a pitch and there are a lot of quite easily dsicernable difference between different people's growls including the basic pitch.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Okeefe Is Legit
1) No, it's not degrading.

2) I usually tend to only be put off by a band with bad lyrics if the vocals are what the band focuses most on. If it's more of an instrumental band with vocals, it really doesn't take away from the music.

this, its like necrophagist, nobody give a fvck about the lyrics, its all about the guitar, bass and drums
Quote by Minkaro
I''d congratulate him.

To be fair, he's done amazingly well to punch my hand when it's usually in my pocket.