Page 1 of 2
Anyone who knows about these amps? Thinking about getting the full stack. I am trying to get a tone like Randy's but I don't want a huge stack that can blow the roof off of my house. Can anyone help? Thanks.
Everyone hears and judges tone differently. Try the damn thing and find out what it sounds like.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Also, if it has not enough gain or something< what can i do to get the correct tone?
It's said to sound somewhat like a JCM 800 especially with a decent cab (which the Haze cabs are not) I'd recommend an Avatar or Lopoline 212 instead, or if you're in Canada, a Saxon cab.

I tried the 40w combo and it could certainly get Randy tones with an OD.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I was a bit surprised by this one myself. The combo is cool for the price, but $1000 for a Haze full stack...to me it wouldn't be worth it. I can think of better ways to spend $1000 than a Haze. For instance, a Mesa Express 5:25 1X12. It runs on EL34's and sounds AMAZING, for not much more than the Marshall. Haze isn't going to get you Randy's sound anyway. Not saying the Mesa will, but it's a SWEET little amp, that Express.
Mesa/Boogie Roadster Head (custom finished)
Mesa 2 X 12 Rectifier cab (matches head)
Ibanez Prestige S 1625 Bubinga
MXR Carbon Copy
Boss NS 2
Boss TU 2
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Well, I really want an all tube Marshall and I was thinking about getting only one cab and later buying the other. Also I wanted to change the speakers to the 100 watt celestions but I dont know if that would work.
It would be fine as long as they matched the impedance required, but I wouldn't do that because the Haze cabs are overall said to be pretty bad. You can always buy a Marshall logo and put it on a different cab if you really want to.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by house212
Well, I really want an all tube Marshall and I was thinking about getting only one cab and later buying the other. Also I wanted to change the speakers to the 100 watt celestions but I dont know if that would work.

You haven't really thought this out. Unless you get a 1959 SLP or another Marshall
Plexi, very few Marshalls will give you that Randy tone. There are better alternatives out there than the Haze.
Actually he did not use the 1959 SLP but I want to do something to mod it to get more gain.
Yeah, but its the only one Randy used to get his tone,and I really want a Marshall.
Quote by house212
Yeah, but its the only one Randy used to get his tone,and I really want a Marshall.

1. The above part in big text makes you sound like:

a) My 14 year old brother
b) A dumpling - just like my 14 year old brother.

2. http://www.marshallamps.com/product.asp?productCode=1959RR

That is a 1959 SLP. The same idea applies to amps like the 2203KK - it's still a JCM 800.

Also,

Randy Rhoads' Amplifiers

Marshall vintage Super Lead Plexi 100w amp heads (2)
Marshall 4x12 White cabinets with Altec Lansing speakers (2)
Marshall 4x12 Black cabinets with Altec Lansing speakers (2)
Marshall Plexi MKII Super Lead 100 watt amp (modded with cascade mod)
Ampeg 4x12 cabinet with Altec Lansing speakers
Peavey standard 130 watt amp
Fender Harvard 1x12 amp
Last edited by greggybhoy at Oct 23, 2009,
Check out the new MA series. I would strongly advise you to not get a Marshall cab, however, because they're not that great.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Ok i've read around online and people say that the haze cabs sound horrible. is this because of their construction or the speakers?
I'd say a combination. The Haze cabs are made very cheaply in a third world country with cheaper speakers to cut costs, which is why I was recommending Avatar cabinets.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
well if i get the avatar cab it wouldnt look awesome like a mini marshall HS. thats the look im looking for. maybe i could have one built to the same size of the haze cab and just buy the head only.
Quote by house212
Also Randy may have used the 1959 SLP. some people dont think he used it because they think it couldnt achieve such a high gain tone. Randy was smart and knew exactly how to fix that issue. but he changed to the newer Two channel JCM MKII

You obviously know nothing about Marshalls, and neither does anyone who says a Plexi can't get enough gain for RR. With a few tweaks, a Plexi can get as much gain as just about any modern high gain amp. And the two channel JCMs didn't come out until after he died. He used Non Master Volume Marshall heads almost exclusively. With Ozzy, it was mostly a late JMP with a cascaded gain stage, still with no MV.

Quote by house212
well if i get the avatar cab it wouldnt look awesome like a mini marshall HS. thats the look im looking for. maybe i could have one built to the same size of the haze cab and just buy the head only.

Please just stop.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
You are very correct about the setup of Randy's super leads, however, the earliest 2203s and 2204s were actually the same late '70s super leads and 50 watt jmp with the gain cascade. Later JCM800 models changed a little bit but in general is still similar in tone.
1) Randy Rhoads's amp was not a plexi. It was a late '70s super lead. The plexi era was from 1965 to 1969. When people talk about "plexis" they mean these amps, a "plexi" is not necessarily a specific model, it is just a nickname people give for these class of amps that were released during this era. As you get later into the '70s you get more and more modern sounding amps. A late '70s super lead will sound different from a plexi era super lead. It will be brighter, have more gain and sound more aggressive.

2) What Randy Rhoads amp did was take the bridging concept a step further, instead of running both channels in parallel into the cathode follower, his amp was modded to cascade the first gain stage of the normal channel into the bright channel, basically adding another gain stage. This results in a lot more gain than you would get from a stock super lead. And more importantly, this was also the setup that you had in the two input master volume JMPs, which were essentially late '70s super leads and 50 watt JMPs with the gain cascade.
Yeah. thats the name they were given because the inside was built from plexiglass.
look into peavey jsx, orange rocker 30, mesa express, and ceriatones

you can probably snag a few of those used for under a grand

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Quote by house212
Yeah. thats the name they were given because the inside was built from plexiglass.

They're called Plexis because the front/back panels were made of plexiglass. It has nothing to do with the guts of the amps. And you just said he did not use a Plexi, but a late 70s Super Lead. He used both, along with a slew of other amps, however a Plexi and modded MK II were typically his main ones. And I'd say his Altec Lansing speakers had a huge effect on the tone as well.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

yeah they were 100 watt speakers. and by the inside i did not mean the whole cicuit board and guts. just the casing
I said he used a 1959 SLP to which you replied...

Quote by house212
Actually he did not use the 1959 SLP but I want to do something to mod it to get more gain.

Okay, but then you say...

Quote by house212
1) Randy Rhoads's amp was not a plexi. It was a late '70s super lead.

You are pretty clueless.

Also, you would choose a "look" as you said already before even thinking about how you want to sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRbPWcLode0

15 seconds in - clearly a white 1959 SLP.
Quote by house212
yeah they were 100 watt speakers. and by the inside i did not mean the whole cicuit board and guts. just the casing

The casing was not made of plexiglass, the only thing made of plexiglass was the panels.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

I have never actually SEEN Randy Rhoads use a plexi before apparently he used them at some point but, all I've ever seen him use are late '70s super leads. His signature amp is also a late '70s super lead. Cascading the gain stages on those essentially give you JCM800s.

And house212: the casings are NOT plexiglas. I have a plexi, The only thing that is plexi is the front panel and back panel which have pieces of adhesive plexiglas that are laid over the chassis.
Last edited by al112987 at Oct 24, 2009,
ok look. the 1959 SLP looked the same as the one im talking about. but the insides were different.
Quote by al112987
I have never seen Randy Rhoads use a plexi before, all I've ever seen him use are late '70s super leads. His signature amp is also a late '70s super lead. Cascading the gain stages on those essentially give you JCM800s.

And house212: the casings are NOT plexiglas. I have a plexi, The only thing that is plexi is the front panel which is a piece of adhesive plexiglas that is laid over the chassis.

I've seen a video or two where it's clearly a Plexi due to the headbox appearance and I've heard stories about a Plexi being used in the studio and all that jazz.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by al112987
I have never seen Randy Rhoads use a plexi before, all I've ever seen him use are late '70s super leads. His signature amp is also a late '70s super lead. Cascading the gain stages on those essentially give you JCM800s.

And house212: the casings are NOT plexiglas. I have a plexi, The only thing that is plexi is the front panel and back panel which have pieces of adhesive plexiglas that are laid over the chassis.

You are correct. they werent plexis. they just looked like them.
Quote by house212
ok look. the 1959 SLP looked the same as the one im talking about. but the insides were different.
all I'm saying is that you're wrong about the casing being plexiglas. The only "casing" I can think of is the aluminum chassis or the wooden headbox.
Quote by house212
You are correct. they werent plexis. they just looked like them.
I mean, supposedly they were, it's always reported that he used plexis. It's impossible to tell if it was a metal panel or plexi panel from photos or videos unless they're taken up close.
Last edited by al112987 at Oct 24, 2009,
I get you though, people calling all super leads "plexis" is something that sometimes bothers me.
Quote by al112987
I get you though, people calling all super leads "plexis" is something that sometimes bothers me.

It doesn't bother me as much as the fact that Marshall tries to call the 1959SLP reissue a Plexi when it's based off of a 73 they had on hand.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Exactly! Finally Someone Who Understands! But Its Just The Nickname People Give It Because It Looks Like Them.
Quote by mmolteratx
It doesn't bother me as much as the fact that Marshall tries to call the 1959SLP reissue a Plexi when it's based off of a 73 they had on hand.

yeah, little things like that bother me too, but if Marshall actually did a good job on reissues, we wouldn't have high end clones.
Page 1 of 2