hey ive been taking singing lessons for about a year and a half now and ive made a lot of improvement but i still dont like the sound of my voice when i sing. Its gotten better than when i started but lately i havent seen it go anywhere.

how would i continue to improve the sound of my voice when i sing?

████████████████████

███████████████████████
███████████████████████

█████████████████████

███████████████████████

█████████████████████

█████████████████████

███████████████████

█████████████████████

████████████████████
you cant change your voice, only how you use it. i hate my voice as well, its something you need to get over. learn to control it, thats all.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Quote by TK1
you cant change your voice, only how you use it. i hate my voice as well, its something you need to get over. learn to control it, thats all.

this. people that try and change their voice end up sounding fake and robotic, just be true to yourself.
Quote by TK1

well then how do i control it better?

████████████████████

███████████████████████
███████████████████████

█████████████████████

███████████████████████

█████████████████████

█████████████████████

███████████████████

█████████████████████

████████████████████
You hate the sound of your voice because you haven't listened to it enough. Every week tape yourself singing and listen back to it regularly. It's best to do it this way instead of hearing through a foldback on stage infront of 200 people.

As for improving, you've been taking singing lessons for a while now, so you should have some idea.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Yeah, there are a few factors here.

You're not used to the sound of your voice, or does it actually not sound good? There is a significant difference there.

Let's use this as an analogy..... It is true that a Les Paul will never sound like a Strat, and it is true that I will never sound like Bruce Dickenson or Tom Waits.

BUT!! Let's say you have a Les Paul. Plug it into an off-brand 10W practice combo. Sure, it sounds like a Les Paul, but.... you know.... it's just not that great somehow. Now plug it into a vintage hand-wired Marshall. WOW!! Now THAT is the business!! That is what voice lessons - assuming you are learning technique and not just pitch control, diction and repertoire - will do for your voice.

If your voice has not 'opened up' significantly, with your tone taking on greater richness and resonance after a year and a half, it might be time to try another voice teacher.

If it has developed greater richness and resonance, but still isn't there yet, then I wouldn't worry about it. For me, it took quite some time. Everyone is different. I have absolutely NO natural ability to sing. The only reason I can sing anything is because I learned how to do it correctly. If that is the case, maybe you're just one of those people who take longer than the next person.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.