i'm drunk rght now, im sorry.

anywayy, i play slapbass with electrical tape on my thumb. someone told me that that's bad technuque, but i know bassists like Mark King do this.

so whos right???
i don't see how its bad technique...i feel its up to the player how they wanna approach it...some players are just more traditional in their playing style than others. (not an insult)

imagine what people thought when Keith Moon was like, "Yo, F*ck Hi-Hats!"
do it the way you wish to. If people didnt try the things they wanted all music would still be soley based on percussion and vocals
*lust list*
Vox tone lab
Vox ac50
satchurator
satches time machine
vintage phase 90
Money towards this gear = $0.00

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Yeah I dreamt I was fighting Master Hand, but then I woke up to realize I was jackin' it in my sleep.
Quote by TechnoLp
do it the way you wish to. If people didnt try the things they wanted all music would still be soley based on percussion and vocals

true- slap bass itself was an experiment.
I believe Mark actually uses some sort of ring, not tape.
But it's whatever floats your boat. As long as the tape actually serves some sort of purpose.
"It often happens that I wake up at night and begin to think about a serious problem and decide I must tell the pope about it. Then I wake up completely and remember that I am the pope."

---Pope John XXIII
Last edited by Hobble at Oct 24, 2009,
wait you put electric tape on your thumb when you slap?! that seems odd, what is it used for? to dull the pain, that seems wimpy. when I play slap I do it in the style of Victor Wooten which allows you to go much faster and clearer slap notes that sound much better than going crazy with your thumb, but I have never heard of electric tape before...
That's too thick to be tape...

TS, do what works for you. However, if you slap hard enough that you need electrical tape to protect your thumb, then you might need to work on your technique a bit. It doesn't take a lot of force.
Nope, no sig here.
Fassa--open one more thread like this and you are going to be warned. Seriously. Closing thread.