Page 1 of 2
First post, so don't shoot me if I missed something in the rules.

Ok, so I have a Crate GX-15, and I play a Epiphone Junior through it (which I should be upgrading within a year.) It's not the best rig, so I'd like to upgrade it. I'm pretty happy with my guitar, but I'd like to get an amp that sounds better. My budget is $200-300, so I'm kinda limited. I play mostly bluesy stuff, classic rock, and a bit of metal. The amp needs to sound good, last several years without any degradation in quality, and be able to get pretty loud.

So, here's my request: what amps would you recommend? Should I get a modeling amp, or get a amp I like and upgrade with pedals? Tube or SS?

Thanks,

Virx67

Edit: I've been playing for about 8 months, for those who wanted to know. Also, how often do you have to replace tubes/what's the process? And what's the difference between 15w, 30w, 75w, and 120w?
The guitar makes music. The man makes the guitar.

Gear:
Epiphone Junior
Crate GX-15
Deltalab chorus pedal

Money sucks.
Last edited by virx67 at Oct 24, 2009,
are you going to be jamming with friends or just practicing on your own?
if satan lived in heaven, he'd be me
Are you gigging? Or just home practice?

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
I'll be mainly practicing at home, but I do play with friends occasionally. Haven't gigged before, so I'm not really worried about that right now.

Gear:
Epiphone Junior
Crate GX-15
Deltalab chorus pedal

Money sucks.
A Good Amp For You Within Your Price Range Would Be A Line 6 Spider. These Are Good For The Styles Of Music You Play.
Well for that money, you really have 2 choices-
1. Low wattage tube amp
-Better sound quality
-Better reliability
-Slightly higher maintenance

2. Modeling amp
-More effects
-Cheaper parts
-Inferior sound quality

But really, If you don't have a well-developped ear, you won't tell much of a difference between tube and SS.

It really boils down too.
Do you want something that sounds better, or something thats bigger and has lots of effects.

Maybe go down to a local guitar store and try some of these in your price range-
Modelling/SS
-Peavey Vyper
-Vox Pathfinder

Tube
-Vox AC4
-Epiphone Valve Junior

If you look used you may be able to find a Peavey Classic 30 for $300. Take a look on your local Craigslist.

Oh, and welcome to UG

edit- I do not recommend a Marshall MG or a Line 6 Spider. People have had reliability issues with them, and they are NOT seen as good amps.
imo the Spider is ok, you could do better with your money.

-Gibson LP VM
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Last edited by jc349 at Oct 24, 2009,
house212=fail.

TS doesn't need another practice amp (spider III), he's already got a practice amp. He specifically asked for something that sounds BETTER.

my $0.02 goes toward the Peavey classic 30 as well.
Ok U Can Say That But He Can Get A Higher Wattage One And It Wont Be A Practice Amp Anymore.
@house212: been playing for about 8 months.

I've played around on Line 6's, and haven't really been to impressed with the quality of the sound. Sure, it sounds ok, but it isn't that customizable and it sounds fake after a while.

The vyper and the pathfinder both look promising, so I'll look into that. Anymore suggestions?

edit: it doesn't need to be able to shatter windows. I'm just looking for something that has great sound, and can be loud enough to hold its own when playing with other people.

Gear:
Epiphone Junior
Crate GX-15
Deltalab chorus pedal

Money sucks.
Ive Been Looking Into The Marshall Haze Series. They Look Really Cool But I Still Need To Try It Which I Am Going To Do Tomorrow
My First Amp Was A Peavey Rage 15 Watt. I Still Have That Amp To This Day. I Later Got A 120 Watt Line 6 Spider Ii. I Soon Got Tired Of It Sold It And Bought A Marshall. The Bad Thing About It Is That Its A Solid State With One Tube. Now Im Looking To Buy A Haze But I Need To Try It Out. And Ive Been Playing For Around 2 Years Now.
The Difference Between The Wattage Is The Loudness Of The Sound, The Higher The Wattage The Louder The Sound.
edit button. use it (as opposed to multiple post hell).

virx: only 8 months and you can already tell how fake a spider III sounds? you must have a good ear. the spider valve series is not bad... very love/hate on here, as is the vypyr tube. plus, i believe they recently dropped the sticker price on the SV's. IMO, the classic 30 sounds better, but you should give as many a test drive as you can and let your ears decide. you seem to have a general idea of what you want, so don't let any salesmen who need to meet their quota try to sell you something you don't like.

EDIT: oh, and by the way, while wattage does make a difference when comparing extremes (i.e., a 100w head will be consierably louder than a 30x combo in most cases), the main difference you'll encounter is in regards to clean headroom. a 50w combo will only be modestly louder than a 30w, but will have significantly more clean headroom.
Last edited by GrisKy at Oct 24, 2009,
Quote by house212
The Difference Between The Wattage Is The Loudness Of The Sound, The Higher The Wattage The Louder The Sound.

Please dont type every word with a capital at the start.. Its given me a headache and might give someone else a seizure...

Your probally better off with a modeling ss amp for that budget. The vox ac4 and epi valve junior only have voluime knobs and wont give u much versatility ( which is what a beginner guitarist needs).
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

So it looks like a modelling amp is probably going to be the best bet for me. So which one sounds the best (I know this is purely on opinion, but I'd like some reccomendations.) Also, is there an amp where I could change the eq myself? I perfer doing that to using what the manufactures give me.

Gear:
Epiphone Junior
Crate GX-15
Deltalab chorus pedal

Money sucks.
Quote by virx67
So it looks like a modelling amp is probably going to be the best bet for me. So which one sounds the best (I know this is purely on opinion, but I'd like some reccomendations.) Also, is there an amp where I could change the eq myself? I perfer doing that to using what the manufactures give me.

I'd suggest the Peavey Vypyr or the Vox VT series.

When you say change the EQ... all the patches' and models' can be changed. After selecting a amp model or preset patch, just dial the EQ to how you like it to sound.

I know its kinda out of your budget, but a nice alternative if you have the money is a Line 6 Pod with an Atomic Reactor amp http://www.atomicamps.com/products-112-18.html.

Alternative, look at the Blackheart ministacks - Killer Ant or Little giant.

house212: I have this compulsive urge to break the shift and caps lock key on your computer. As well as the finger you press the shift key with.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by house212

*reported for multiple posting*

Don't listen to this guy TS.

I'd suggest going for a small tube combo, maybe an Epiphone Valve Junior.

What JC said is very correct, take a look at some of the things he's said.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Last edited by LezPaulEpiphone at Oct 24, 2009,
Quote by jc349
Well for that money, you really have 2 choices-
1. Low wattage tube amp
-Better sound quality
-Better reliability
-Slightly higher maintenance

2. Modeling amp
-More effects
-Cheaper parts
-Inferior sound quality

But really, If you don't have a well-developped ear, you won't tell much of a difference between tube and SS.

It really boils down too.
Do you want something that sounds better, or something thats bigger and has lots of effects.

Maybe go down to a local guitar store and try some of these in your price range-
Modelling/SS
-Peavey Vyper
-Vox Pathfinder

Tube
-Vox AC4
-Epiphone Valve Junior

If you look used you may be able to find a Peavey Classic 30 for $300. Take a look on your local Craigslist.

Oh, and welcome to UG

edit- I do not recommend a Marshall MG or a Line 6 Spider. People have had reliability issues with them, and they are NOT seen as good amps.
imo the Spider is ok, you could do better with your money.

+1

I would also add that another bonus with the modellers is that they'll be more versatile- they'll cover a much wider range of music. those cheaper tube amps tend to be one-trick ponies- awesome if you only want that trick, not so much if you need a wider variety.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by house212
sorry I had caps lock on and it does that.

I THOUGHT CAPS LOCK MADE EVERYTHING CAPS..... LIKE THIS :CONFUSED:

LIKE THIS.....

I HAVE CAPS ON RIGHT NOW.

-Gibson LP VM
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
This Is Not Caps Lock Unless You Have A Bad Computer.

So it appears that the recommendation would be a modeling amp. Now, sometimes the sound quality isn't very good. Which modeler has the best bang for the buck? I don't need something that has hundreds of worthless effects, I'd rather have something that has a few quality effect/amp models. What amp would fit this? (the vypyr 75w looks really good right now)

Gear:
Epiphone Junior
Crate GX-15
Deltalab chorus pedal

Money sucks.
haven't tried the vypyr, generally the cube is recommended more for heavier music, the vox valvetronix is recommended for more classic stuff.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well, right now it looks like the vyper might be my choice. Any ss amps anyone reccomends that aren't modellers?

Gear:
Epiphone Junior
Crate GX-15
Deltalab chorus pedal

Money sucks.
take a look at the vypyr tube and spider valves... both are love/hate around here (i prefer vt), but word is their prices have taken a nose-dive in recent weeks.
a roland cube 60 is where my two cents goes. i had the volume at about 3 and it was fine playing to my school hall.

comparing the cube to the vypyr, the vypyr sounded very thin to me (this is comparing the rectifier channel of the cube).
the vypyr, also, im pretty sure is very metal orientated, whereas the cube has specific channels for blues and does a reasonable job, so i think that would be the better bet.
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
TC Corona/Vortex/Dreamscape
If you want a real tube amp and don't care about effects (or are happy to invest in them down the track - good quality ones, not dinky effects like on cheapo amps) grab a Bugera V22 or V55.

They are cheap, loud enough to jam/gig with and use tubes.

They sound really good too.

They will nail classic rock, blues etc and have really nice cleans...will do metal with a pedal.

They are dirt cheap and don't listen to the knockers, just as reliable as cheapo Marshalls (Haze for example) and the like.

For metal try a Bugera 6262 212 or 333XL.

A good modeler is 'ok' but you need a PA or powered tube cab...expensive ultimately

Check Bugera out, they sound so much better than the amps you are considering...this is brand new rather than second hand...

Note: don't buy any cheapo amps second hand...like spiders and MG Marshalls etc...simpler to buy a brand new amp with a warranty...Peavey classic is a good amp second hand though
behringer is behind bug amps... and the concerns ove their reliablility were completely legit. sound-wise, they're not bad clones.
Quote by house212
A Good Amp For You Within Your Price Range Would Be A Line 6 Spider. These Are Good For The Styles Of Music You Play.

!

I really hope you are some kind of troll.

My opinion says try one of the small tube amps, but that's just because I hate modeling amps. I always find them far too complicated, I just want an amp that I can plug into and go rather than messing with presets and the like. But that's just me

If you were going to go the tube direction, I'd advise saving a bit more and getting something like the Blackstar HT-5 or the Marshall Class 5.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by GrisKy
low-wattage tube amps are so "in" right now.

You aren't a people person are you GrisKy?

I merely suggested some amps TS might like because I have tried them and thought they were pretty damn good. I am not a casual band wagoner if I haven't tried it I'm not recommending it.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Let me suggest the Line 6 Flextone III.

Also a very good modelling amp.
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
Quote by house212
sorry I had caps lock on and it does that.

.............Troll?
Quote by SimplyBen
You aren't a people person are you GrisKy?

I merely suggested some amps TS might like because I have tried them and thought they were pretty damn good. I am not a casual band wagoner if I haven't tried it I'm not recommending it.

relax dude, it's a joke (with sprinkles of truth). i love the ht5.
If I was going to get a tube amp, how often would I need to replace the tubes? Also, could someone link me to a page that describes everything about tubes?

Thanks,

virx

Gear:
Epiphone Junior
Crate GX-15
Deltalab chorus pedal

Money sucks.
depends, really. if you can find that rca tube manual online, it's badass, but gets really complicated really quickly. The aitken amps tech section is great, too, but again gets complicated.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by GrisKy
behringer is behind bug amps... and the concerns ove their reliablility were completely legit. sound-wise, they're not bad clones.

Behringer don't make Bugera amps...they do distribute and own the name though.

There 'were' issues at the start (6262/333) mainly with the clip issue which is now (for about a year) soldered to the main board.

Nothing else apart from people (who usually wouldn't be able to afford a tube amp) buying them and treating them like dirt.

Turning them on/off without using standby, running them without load, moving them when the tubes are hot...beer, stairs, kicking etc

They are just as reliable as any other PCB china made amps: Fender, Marshall, Vox etc

They are not boutique but sound great for what they do...and they are 1/3 the price of the other brands.

Nothing problem wise reported with the Bugera Vintage series: V22 and V55 (ignore the V5 as it's terrible).

V22 doesn't seem to be a clone of anything...V55 is a little like a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe...6262 is a Peavey 5150II/6505+...333 is Peavey JSX.

Though they all have little tweaks for the better and as such are a little different than their 'parent' amps...i.e. cleaner clean channels, more gain, triode/pentode options, ability to run two sets of tubes...etc etc
Page 1 of 2