Ok, so i've been playing for 1.5-ish years and i've started to learn some scales in attempt to be a good lead guitarist. SO what i've been doing is starting off with the A minor penatonic scale in the 5 positions. After i've got that down I add the 2 and the 5 notes to the scale and practice that in the 5 positions. I've noticed that the patterns seem to be the same for any key in the minor scale.

Is this a good way to be going about this?

Also what would be a good way to learn the major scale?

I've been using the "step" way, but that takes awhile to figure out a scale and I want to use intervals, but I just can't seem to learn the major scale.
Okay what your asking has a VERY simple answer, all you need to do is...
Step1:Locate Paul Gilbert.
Step2:Ask him to go to Medical School.
Step3:Wait four years.
Step4:Buy Mark John Sternals book Total Scales Techniques and Applications.
Step5:Ask Paul Gilbert to Surgically program all known scales into your brain.
PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!!
In all seriousness. Yes all scales are the same pattern in a different key. Say the notes of the scale as you play them. Form triads from a scale and learn to play those chords. Oh and write out licks that are within the scale and then play them thats what i do, It will help you get the sound and feel of the scale in your ears and hands to instead of just playing the scale in a linear fashion.
*lust list*
Vox tone lab
Vox ac50
satchurator
satches time machine
vintage phase 90
Money towards this gear = $0.00

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Yeah I dreamt I was fighting Master Hand, but then I woke up to realize I was jackin' it in my sleep.
Learn the intervals in the major scale, learn about all the other intervals, learn the circle of fifths and learn the notes on your guitar.