I want to get a bass but I'm torn on what to get. I've had my eye on the Jaguar bass. Has anyone played it? Is the active pre-amp worth choosing it over a regular p or j bass?
If I didn't get the Jag, i'd probably go for the highway oneor maybe jsut the standard j or p. What should i do????
The jag is an interesting beast. That ridiculous multitude of controls is fun, but not really necessary. The biggest thing I think it'll come down to is the neck. Some people cant stand the finished neck because it's "sticky," some people (myself included) don't mind it at all, so I'd say definitely try it out and see if its right for you.

You cant really go wrong with a Fender P or J. Highway ones are nice, but the finish really gets me. For the difference in price, you can upgrade a standard MIM's hardware to the same level as an MIA highway one, then the only difference would be the alder body on the MIM as opposed to the ash body on an MIA
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Thanks for your help! Which color did you choose for the Jag? I think they all look great so I'm having a tough time deciding. I don't think the neck will be an issue and I feel that for the price, this would be way better than a standard jazz..would you agree?
Oh, I don't own a Jag if thats what you meant by what color I picked, I just have extremely extensive experience playing one. I personally prefer the hot rod red, and black if it has a different pickguard on it. Its not an issue of if the jazz or the jag is actually better, they feel different. The jag has the controls and the preamp, but the jazz is widely regarded as more comfortable. I strongly recommend you try them both out. If not, then use your own judgment, both are great basses

EDIT: sorry for the somewhat ambiguous answer lol
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
You don't know how much you'll hate a lacquered neck until you try it. And I say how much you hate because it's impossible to really like them, it's just a matter of to what degree you hate it. So definitely try the Jag with before trying. Other than that, the Jag always seemed a little bit like it leaned on gimmicks too much. It sacrifices some quality for that spacey lots-o-knobs feel. I recommend going with the Highway One. To me it's the best quality bass in that lineup.
Okay, I'll definitely try it out before I buy. If I do decide on the highway one, should I go p or j??
I haven't been playing bass for a while, but I'll tell you this:

The P is less flexible, but (for me), is a little more powerful. It all depends on what you want to play with it.

If you want to play punk rock or hard rock or stuff like that (like me), I'd take the P-bass.

But, if you have a wider variety of styles, I'd take the J because it blends into other genres perfectly.

And that's my advice.
"You have brains in your head,
You have feet in your shoes,
You can steer yourself,
any direction you choose,
You're on your own,
And you know what you know,
And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go."

- Dr. Seuss
well, the jazz is always a safe option. it's not ridiculously thin, like an SR, or super fat, like a Billy Sheehan (you don't know fat yet) and can get a good version of about any sound, from thumpy to clacky to growling.

but, if you are spending over 500 bucks, you should know exactly what you're getting into.

the jag has a weak blending concept with the switches- I feel an active jazz is much better. sorry. I do.

try all 3 basses. don't buy a jag if you have never played one. same with the P bass (and I actually love P-basses).
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I'm torn on what to do. I play guitar and was moving to bass. I've never played bass before and the Jag seemed like a really good deal. Since I'm new to bass, should I look into buying a squier classic vibe or one of the high end squier's to see how i like it before spending out on a fender? or should i just get the fender regardless?
because you're new you get a worse bass?

not that logical to me.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
It always sounds like a good idea to buy a lower end bass or a beginner bass to start, to "see if you like it." However, if your serious about it, and you think your going to stick with it, buy the best bass you can. Go for the Fender, just remember that you need money for a bass amp too
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
the jaguar is DEFENINTLY better then just your average jazz bass and the neck is a little more cumfy then your standard jazz as well.

the jag is one of the few fenders that i think are perfect "as is" meaning i dont want to change pickups/bridge on it.
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E