An off-the-wall question for you all: what's the significance of an F C G chord? I ended up with one in FL Studio, and it sounds... special?

The chord itself stacks the root (F), fifth (C), and "ninth" (G). OR, it stacks the root (F), fifth (C), and the fifth of C (G).

OR... or it has something to do with the C scale, because I originally formed it using 1 4 5 of C Major and rearranged it to make F the bass note.

What's the deal? Is there something special about this?
Last edited by freakstylez at Oct 24, 2009,
Yup, sus2 chord are made by taking the root, suspending the major or minor third with a major second and the perfect fifth. More common is the sus4 where you suspend the third with the perfect 4th.

Csus2 = C D G (instead of C E G)
Csus4 = C F G (instead of C E G)
Wow, I was really over-thinking it then.

Just sounds like a really strong chord to me, stands out. With the G raised an octave (to the literal fifth in the C scale), it has a really strong, bright, open feeling. The "normal" voicing is strong, but... it's not as open. It feels less "up-in-the-air."

Sorry, I'm crazy and like to write out what I'm thinking. Helps grind it into my head I guess. Don't mind it. o.O
Go nuts add the D I dare you. Even an A and an E too. To get six notes (a stack of five consecutive fifths from an F root). If you do it on piano it gives the distinct sound of the arrival of an imminent time or event.
Si
I actually did try stacking more fifths, and even without all six it had that same "imminent time or event" feel. I can see myself using it in a composition.
I read a book once with a whole chapter dedicated to that one chord. (The book was one of the best books I've read on music but I skipped that chapter.)
Si
Quote by freakstylez
I actually did try stacking more fifths.

lol like holdsworth's road games
anyway yeah its now Fsus2 but try adding the 3rd on top so its F C G Ab and then maybe C and another F, nice no?