My sound city sc40c has gone weird. The drive channel sounds fine, the clean channel does to. However they both sound fr quieter than they should. Its still under a guarantee so we have the option of taking it to be fixed (halfway across the country).

These were recorded with the master on full and the others halfway. It didnt even shake me - let alone blow my ears off!

Clean channel :VORC037.WMA - 2.27MB

The clean channel - 40% my amp, 10% my rubbish mp3 microhone and 50% me but you can hear the badness!

I know what a shite player I am. No need to flame ok? I only got it like 6 mounths ago! (although I have been playing classical for some years.

Anyhow -

Dist channel:

VORC035.WMA - 0.62MB

Can anyone offer a diagnostic from those? All 4 of my powertubes are glowing.

Cheers guys (and girls!!)Asking for diagnostic for a (partially) dead amp.

Time on earth is like butterscotch; you really want more, even though it will probably just make you ill.

Certified lurker
Last edited by IYanoplathizoI at Oct 24, 2009,
bump. hopefully someone can help you.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Hey i've had a similar problems with my Marshall Amp

Basically what i discovered was this:

I used to leave my amp in the garage, it was constantly cold there, and when i brought it into the house (where it was warm) the amp would just play really quietly, inspite of it being 250 watts.

So after a trip to 2 music stores and them having no idea, i decided to work it out;

Basically, if you leave an amp in a cold place, then transfer it rapidly (and plug and play) to a warm area, the amp metaphorically doesn't know what the ****s going on and just seizes up and doesn't play at real volumes.

In short;

Store your amp in a warm place, if you can only store it in a cold place, bring it to the warm place in advance, let it warm up natrually, then turn it on, leave it for a few minutes then give it a go

If this isn't the case, then maybe some faulty wiring? In which case you're gona need an expert to look at it, or post pics here and hope someones who knows what goes on inside an amp, will see it and post
Thanks alot. (I read this and it sounded sarcastic (I dont know why) - its not. Thanks, seriously -thanks.) I am still unsure though. All the time that I have had it the amp has been in my room.

Although it sounds awful I am almost hoping that it is something serious that the guy at the shop cant fix - then I can get me cash back, concentrate on my classical exam until Christmas and then add some cash together and get a g3randall200plus lol.

Naughty me.

------

But on a more serious side if anyone does know what is wrong with it then it would be good to know cuz the tubes arnt under guarantee and I dont wanna box it up for nothing.....

Time on earth is like butterscotch; you really want more, even though it will probably just make you ill.

Certified lurker
Last edited by IYanoplathizoI at Oct 24, 2009,
Quote by IYanoplathizoI
Thanks alot. (I read this and it sounded sarcastic (I dont know why) - its not. Thanks, seriously -thanks.) I am still unsure though. All the time that I have had it the amp has been in my room.

Although it sounds awful I am almost hoping that it is something serious that the guy at the shop cant fix - then I can get me cash back, concentrate on my classical exam until Christmas and then add some cash together and get a g3randall200plus lol.

Naughty me.

------

But on a more serious side if anyone does know what is wrong with it then it would be good to know cuz the tubes arnt under guarantee and I dont wanna box it up for nothing.....

It sounds like it's the tubes, to me.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Quote by LezPaulEpiphone
It sounds like it's the tubes, to me.

A noob question - How can it be the tubes when it only effects the dist channel?

Certified lurker
OK. It looks like we are gonna be sending it off - i dont wanna make another thread on how to do this so ill post it here:

what would be the best way to package it? I dont want to have it damadged by the company whos taking it (GAK is paying)

I m probably gonna wrap it in an old duvay and then whack it in a box- that sound ok???

Certified lurker
Quote by IYanoplathizoI
A noob question - How can it be the tubes when it only effects the dist channel?

It could be one of the preamp tubes that is dedicated to that channel.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by IYanoplathizoI
Nice - how often should preamp tubes need changing?

Thanks

Not very often, I think it's normally 4 years or so, depending on how much you use the amp.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Nice - I have had it 6 mouths - so it might still be something serious!!

I never push it either so

Certified lurker