So after listening to the Inspiral Carpets for a while and discovering they had possibly the most badass Logo AND Slogan in the history of everything, I felt compelled to go and buy my first band tee for atleast a couple of years. This one:

So I was reading on Spotify (god I love Spotify) that a student was arrested for violating obscenity laws by wearing an Inspiral Carpets t-shirt. I didn't think much of this, figuring it was about 20 years ago, I didn't worry.

But now I'm not so sure. So does anyone know what the laws are surrounding obscenity, and whether or not this t-shirt will violate those laws?

Also, what are your opinions on whether t-shirts like this, or the countless others with lines like 'It wont suck itself' etc should be banned?

tl;dr - Will I get arrested for wearing that t-shirt?
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Strat,
Epiphone Les Paul ES,
Line6 Flextone III,
Laney VC15,
Some pedals,
Some recording gear.
Last edited by This_Kidd at Oct 24, 2009,
Some wank got arrested with a Cradle Of Filth shirt saying "Jesus Is A Cunt" a couple years back, got a few vaginas sanded.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
No they shouldn't be banned, but shirts like that are generally stupid.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
HAHA don't you guys have stuff like freedom of speech etc. haha getting arrested for wearing a shirt couldn't think of something more stupid.

tl;dr you TS are an idiot, you can't get arrested for wearing a shirt, unless you live in a police state.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
dude just dont wear it to school...or work or whatever you do. you should be fine if you folow that (i once got sent home from school for wearing a shirt that said "cannibal corpse" and had the tomb of the mutilated album cover on the front, and lyrics from hammer on the back
Quote by Minkaro
I''d congratulate him.

To be fair, he's done amazingly well to punch my hand when it's usually in my pocket.
A cow wearing sunglasses and smoking a cigarette...

What's stupid about that?
Epiphone Les Paul ES,
Line6 Flextone III,
Laney VC15,
Some pedals,
Some recording gear.
Quote by Neo Evil11
tl;dr you TS are an idiot, you can't get arrested for wearing a shirt, unless you live in a police state.

Quote by Spotify
Clever merchandising helped the band out financially; they sold T-shirts featuring their smoking-cow logo and their slogan "Cool as F*ck," which got them media attention when a student wearing the shirt was arrested for violating obscenity laws.

Quote by Zero-Hartman
Some wank got arrested with a Cradle Of Filth shirt saying "Jesus Is A ****" a couple years back

You were saying, mate?
Epiphone Les Paul ES,
Line6 Flextone III,
Laney VC15,
Some pedals,
Some recording gear.
Quote by Neo Evil11
HAHA don't you guys have stuff like freedom of speech etc. haha getting arrested for wearing a shirt couldn't think of something more stupid.

Quote by Zero-Hartman
Some wank got arrested with a Cradle Of Filth shirt saying "Jesus Is A Cunt" a couple years back, got a few vaginas sanded.

I thought that was Dani Filth when he visited Vatican city? So not actually arrested in the UK.

EDIT: Also, TS, I've got this T-shirt and I've never had a problem whilst wearing it.

http://www.retrofactory.com/js-jsr104.html
Last edited by G-Dog_666 at Oct 24, 2009,
Quote by This_Kidd

You were saying, mate?

I'm not calling you a wank. You evidently have a better music taste.

Here:

http://ozatheist.wordpress.com/2008/06/26/teenager-arrested-for-blasphemous-t-shirt/

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by Zero-Hartman

Here:

http://ozatheist.wordpress.com/2008/06/26/teenager-arrested-for-blasphemous-t-shirt/

"However, the rev will have to get over the fact that a very large number of us don’t believe Jesus exists. Thus it’s no more a ’sin’ calling Jesus a bad word than it is calling the tooth fairy a bad word."
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Quote by Neo Evil11

Seems like most of us live in a police state then. Do you even know what freedom of speech means? It does NOT mean that you can say or express anything you want. I don't know how it is in the US though.
Quote by Zero-Hartman

Here:

Oh no I know you weren't, I was using your post as a reply to the guy who said you can't get arrested for wearing a t-shirt.
Epiphone Les Paul ES,
Line6 Flextone III,
Laney VC15,
Some pedals,
Some recording gear.
Quote by Flibo
Seems like most of us live in a police state then. Do you even know what freedom of speech means? It does NOT mean that you can say or express anything you want. I don't know how it is in the US though.

True freedom of speech doesn't exist anywhere.
Quote by NinjaSlayHuman
True freedom of speech doesn't exist anywhere.

Shut the hell up, you have no idea what you're talking about.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Just linking this with the Irish Blasphemy Laws twaddle, Should I stop wearing my Bad Religion T shirts? They don't specify any particular religion but the Crossbuster is a wee bit pointed. Ah Feck 'em.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

If anything you're more likely to just be asked to cover it up.
“I smoke. If this bothers anyone, I suggest you look around at the world in which we live and shut your f*ckin' mouth.” RIP
Http://www.Smash-it-up.tk
Quote by TheBurningFish
"However, the rev will have to get over the fact that a very large number of us don’t believe Jesus exists. Thus it’s no more a ’sin’ calling Jesus a bad word than it is calling the tooth fairy a bad word."

Well ya know, you wouldn't go around wearing a "Buddha is a cunt" or "Krishna is a cunt" t-shirt unless you yourself were a huge, gaping vagina. Sure, not everyone believes that Jesus is Lord, but it's still offensive to say such things about him.

Also, it's just a dirty word anyway, which is offensive in its own right. Walking around with a "The Tooth Fairy is a cunt" t-shirt would just offend people because of it's harsh language, and in any case you'd just look like a douchy punk (much like the kid mentioned in your link who was arrested - who the fuck walks around with the image of a masturbating woman on their shirt?)

edit: wasn't really pickin' on you in particular, just wanted to voice my opinion.
Last edited by kenan6346 at Oct 24, 2009,
Quote by Neo Evil11

Wait a minute... I believe The Netherlands has discriminatory discrimination laws, doesn't it? The kind of laws where you can't say something discriminatory against, say, homosexuals, unless it's part of your right to exercise freedom of religion? So if you aren't religious, you aren't allowed to discriminate homosexuals. Yup, "freedom of speech" right there.

From your Penal Code:

1. He who publicly, verbally or in writing or image, deliberately expresses himself in an way insulting of a group of people because of their race, their religion or belief, or their hetero- or homosexual nature or their physical, mental, or intellectual disabilities, will be punished with a prison sentence of at the most one year or a fine of third category.

2. If the offence is committed by a person who makes it his profession or habit, or by two or more people in association, a prison sentence of at the most two years or a fine of fourth category will be imposed.

Article 137c

So, by Dutch law, those wearing these t-shirts that insult religions, belief, sexuality can be prosecuted.

But not the TS' T-shirt.
intellectual abilities, will be punished with a prison sentence of at the most one year or a fine of third category
it isn't illegal, but that doesn't mean you won't be arrested. a lot of police are stupid.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
WTF why should they be banned? And being arrested for wearing them is ridiculous. Are people seriously getting arrested for that?
Also, what's so obscene about that shirt anyway?
Last edited by jimmyled at Oct 24, 2009,
^ It's got a dirty word on it.

So have we come to a conclusion about this?

We're all in agreement that there's nothing wrong with it, I think. But does anyone know whether it actually violates any British Obscenity laws?
Epiphone Les Paul ES,
Line6 Flextone III,
Laney VC15,
Some pedals,
Some recording gear.
Quote by soulflyV
Yeah, but we're all thinking it.

Coz they were just such arseholes weren't they

Quote by jimmyled
WTF why should they be banned? And being arrested for wearing them is ridiculous. Are people seriously getting arrested for that?

The shirt TS wants to wear? It says fuck, which is a word considered to be offensive. If you're talking about the Vestal Masturbation shirt, you've gotta be kidding me...

I'm be the last person to condemn swearing; I swear like a fuckin' trooper when I'm in the company of those who I know don't mind it or even swear themselves, but there's a time and place for everything. I swear around my brothers, uncles and grandfather because they do to and swears are just words to them, but to swear in front of my mother or grandmother would just be inappropriate.
Quote by jimmyled

Because it's a boring shirt. Nobody wants to see that.
Quote by jimmyled

I know your kind. You're the same kind that jumps into a pool
runs out and shrieks, "How come I'm wet?!"

...go back to your ballpit you.
Quote by Zaphikh
Because it's a boring shirt. Nobody wants to see that.

I know your kind. You're the same kind that jumps into a pool
runs out and shrieks, "How come I'm wet?!"

...go back to your ballpit you.

So you're saying people shouldn't be allowed to wear boring shirts? I find button-ups extremely boring, how about that? And as for the last part, I have a strong urge to post the pear. WTF? **** isn't much of an obscenity any more, especially in that context.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Wait a minute... I believe The Netherlands has discriminatory discrimination laws, doesn't it? The kind of laws where you can't say something discriminatory against, say, homosexuals, unless it's part of your right to exercise freedom of religion? So if you aren't religious, you aren't allowed to discriminate homosexuals. Yup, "freedom of speech" right there.

From your Penal Code:

1. He who publicly, verbally or in writing or image, deliberately expresses himself in an way insulting of a group of people because of their race, their religion or belief, or their hetero- or homosexual nature or their physical, mental, or intellectual disabilities, will be punished with a prison sentence of at the most one year or a fine of third category.

2. If the offence is committed by a person who makes it his profession or habit, or by two or more people in association, a prison sentence of at the most two years or a fine of fourth category will be imposed.

Article 137c

So, by Dutch law, those wearing these t-shirts that insult religions, belief, sexuality can be prosecuted.

But not the TS' T-shirt.

No, you can even call a policemen a flaming homosexual... if you say: I think that you are a flaming homosexual (according to the judge).

We have frikking Geert Wilders discriminating against the entire muslimworld and it is only now that he has to face a judge.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ