Page 1 of 15
Well, there is a thread for maths/science and one for psychology, so there is no reason why bio shouldn't have one!

Use thing thread to discuss biology related topics and ask questions you have about whatever (and hopefully somebody can provide an answer).

I am currently doing biology in college and absolutely loving it. I really want to go onto uni and follow a career in ecology or something of that nature, perhaps even marine biology or something.
I fucking love mitochondria.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by Zero-Hartman

Gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio Cherry Sunburst w/ Alnico Pro II
-1960 Yamaha Orange Sticker Acoustic
-Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Blackstar HT-5RH
Quote by Rocking-Rob
Surely Biology is a science?

Someone didn't bother reading the posts above them.

On a friendlier note, I always regretted not doing Biology as a high school subject, perhaps I'll learn some useful stuff in this thread
Last edited by Big Spender at Oct 24, 2009,
Quote by pwnerer
Well there ya go.

I was wondering, I dont remember which movie, but there was this one dialogue where the guy goes
"Waddaya mean Asian? Indians are technically Asian"

Ive been wondering since then
Do you guys primarily think of Japan/China when you think of Asians or do Indians fall into the mix as well?
Quote by luv090909

Do you guys primarily think of Japan/China when you think of Asians or do Indians fall into the mix as well?

I think of hot Korean girls, but that's just me
Quote by luv090909
I was wondering, I dont remember which movie, but there was this one dialogue where the guy goes
"Waddaya mean Asian? Indians are technically Asian"

Whenever I think 'Asian' I split it up in two parts; Oriental and everything else

But we digress...
Quote by Big Spender
So how about those living organisms/anyone want to give me a kick start in basic Biology?

What are you interested in?

For Zoology and botany:
Everything David Attenborough has done. (Check out what happens at around 1:50) ... for example, 'Life', 'Blue Planet' and other awesome BBC documentaries...
I'm getting 81% in grade 12 university Biology !
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
Quote by SlackerBabbath
Give it a wash and stay away from the custard in future.

Pit be berry funny today
Quote by Zero-Hartman

Quote by Deliriumbassist
If there's one thing that doing Biomed at uni for three years has taught me, is that poking rabbits with needles is generally frowned upon. It has become forbidden fruit that may lead to me hunting wild rabbits with a syringe.

I think I'll enjoy this thread. I may have some questions of my own in the future.
My League of Legends stream
The morning will come
In the press of every kiss
With your head upon my chest

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Until you, decide to wake up
Anyone have any feasible ideas on how to improve the design of the upper limb? So far my ideas includeensuring the scaphoid has blood supply at both proximal and distal ends to prevent avascular necrosis, and perhaps having the ulnar nerve anterior to the medial epicondyle of the humerus to prevent the tingling feeling when you hit your elbow. Beyond that I don't have any real ideas.

/serious post
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
Lesson 1 Basic Biology - Watch David Attenborough Documentaries.

Excellent, we can create an informed database full of wonderful lessons that provide a thorough run through of Biology.

Maybe.

Being precariously close to finishing school I hope to continue learning in the year I spend working, do not fail me Bio thread!
Last edited by Big Spender at Oct 24, 2009,
I\m majoring in Bio at the local university. Thinking about doing some sort of conservation work. Though I'm taking ecology right now..and the class is fairly boring
Quote by sinan90
Anyone have any feasible ideas on how to improve the design of the upper limb? So far my ideas includeensuring the scaphoid has blood supply at both proximal and distal ends to prevent avascular necrosis, and perhaps having the ulnar nerve anterior to the medial epicondyle of the humerus to prevent the tingling feeling when you hit your elbow. Beyond that I don't have any real ideas.

/serious post

Improve how? If its strength alone cut it off and put in a prosthetic like the cheetah blades for the legs. artificals are becoming better than originals

>From a biomedical engineer
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Quote by technicolour
I\m majoring in Bio at the local university. Thinking about doing some sort of conservation work. Though I'm taking ecology right now..and the class is fairly boring

I'm not such a big fan of ecology either...nor zoology and botany

It's not 'cellular' enough
I'm currently doing vetmed, so I may be needing you biochem graduates for a while.

Right, so how do enzymes catalyse reactions, preferably an answer from people who know a bit more than school biology. Currently thinking about writing the essay so that I do a paragraph outlining the mechanisms the different categories use to stabilise the transition state, but if anyone has some points and a source, I will be happy to help in any way I cna for other problems that come up.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
I'm currently doing vetmed, so I may be needing you biochem graduates for a while.

Right, so how do enzymes catalyse reactions, preferably an answer from people who know a bit more than school biology. Currently thinking about writing the essay so that I do a paragraph outlining the mechanisms the different categories use to stabilise the transition state, but if anyone has some points and a source, I will be happy to help in any way I cna for other problems that come up.

I'm going to assume you know about specificity (induced fit, lock and key), enzyme thermodynamics and inhibition so I won't waste our time there, since that's basic biology,and if you're on vetmed, you should know basic biology.

I'm also only going to give you headings, to do your own research, so I'm not only teaching you, you're teaching yourself, a useful tool for university. Look into:

Transition state stabilisation:

through substrate straining
without substrate straining (opposite charge creation)

Alternate pathways
Orientation
Temperature increase

Furthermore:

Enzyme control
Coenzymes and Cofactors
Protein dynamics
Allosteric modulation
Kinetics

I hated that enzyme assignment.
Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you very much. As it stands. I don't understand most of the textbooks, so trying to pick information out is a pain when I don't quite know what I'm looking for.

As I stand, I know it appears to be based around the stabilisation of the transition state (via mechanisms which I will explain in my essay) so lowering the kinetic barrier to a reaction.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Last edited by gm jack at Oct 25, 2009,
Quote by Deliriumbassist
For first year and some second year stuff, for all biology based subjects, I highly recommend Biology International Version by Campbell and Reece. Has practically a bit of everything from cellular biology to ecology.

For this year, I am studying anatomy, physiology, homeostasis and biochem. There isn't a massive amount of general biology.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by pwnerer
The wikipedia pages on enzymes (and all the terms Deleriumbassist mentioned) are pretty good... even though you can't really use wiki as a credible source

Then don't use wiki. Use wiki's references

Quote by gm jack
For this year, I am studying anatomy, physiology, homeostasis and biochem. There isn't a massive amount of general biology.

Most of my course was made up of biochem and homeostasis. It's a damn good book for those, and you should easily be able to sell it on.
Quote by mexican_shred
Improve how? If its strength alone cut it off and put in a prosthetic like the cheetah blades for the legs. artificals are becoming better than originals

>From a biomedical engineer

Basically the slant I'm going with in my essay is how to make the upper limb better at its function which I said was mainly manoeuvre the hand freely so it can act as a mechanical manipulator and sensory tool as effectively as possible, while also focussing on points prone to injury and whether there is something intrinsic in the design of the upper limb which makes these points more likely to become injured.
Founder of Jaco society

Quote by gm jack

For the HOM course I like the Boron & Boulpaep Medical Physiology book, got plenty of extra details for essays in there too.
Founder of Jaco society

tbhiscould prove very useful for me as i find biology very VERY dificult at a-level.

Stickied

I've been wondering this for some time...

What does it mean to 'die of old age'? What is it that kills us? I know that our bodies become more vulnerable to disease and become more fragile, but why?

On a cellular level, what happens to us as we get older. And when does this start to happen? The day we become a fertilized egg?