Ive been playing mainly metal over the 5 years ive played guitar. the only guitar brands i know are in metal focused guitars, the things i know to look for in guitars are metal focused features. Which is why choosing a guitar for any other genre is kinda difficult for me. Recently I've started listening to indie and hardcore, which is sort of the same as metal but different enough that I won't really know what to look for. I play an Ibanez Rg370dx, which is pretty cool for shredding and translates 'OK' into other genres but I'd rather another guitar.

The thing is, I've been aspiring to buy an expensive guitar or a 7 string but the fact is I won't have the money for it now, and a few years down the line that wont be where my priority for money is. So I need to go simple + cheap(er). Preferably one pickup and one volume knob, maybe two pups. I want to be able to get a good, lush perhaps, clean sound. I don't think I'll need all those things like jumbo frets, super low action, because I wont be playing lightning speeds on it. I definately want to stray away from the 'metal' look - sharp edges, dark colour etc.

I play through a marshall jtm amp, my budget is around 500-700 aus dollars although I dont really wanna spend that much. Also if you could just recommend me some brands thatd be cool, I've got no idea where to look. Any help's appreciated.
I don't know what hardcore is, but if you could list out some bands, it'd be easier for me to suggest things to you.
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
A schecter C-7 should do.
Check out the schecter website, because there are a few different models which have different features.

I think you can buy them in Billy Hyde music stores, which is the only place i can find them in australia.
Quote by Jaymz_515
I pretend I'm a huge spider laying eggs, then when I flush the toilet I fall to floor screaming "MY CHILLLDRENN!! NOOOO!"

If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit.
- Mitch Hedberg
schecter c-7 looks too metal, i feel kind of weird saying that because i dont usually judge things on their aesthetic and thats gonna play a factor here. Im a bit skeptical of those emgs too, only because Ive heard they dont sound too good for cleans. Also it doesnt necessarily need to be a 7 string, i actually want to stick to a 6 string now.

hardcore is punk influenced... bands i like the sound of would be along the lines of modern life is war, have heart and verse.
for indie - tokyo police club, the kooks, vampire weekend, nine black alps etc. cool.
Well, hardcore bands would be... I don't know, My Chemicle Romance? AFI? If i now that then i'd be able to help.
Quote by psyo
schecter c-7 looks too metal, i feel kind of weird saying that because i dont usually judge things on their aesthetic and thats gonna play a factor here. Im a bit skeptical of those emgs too, only because Ive heard they dont sound too good for cleans. Also it doesnt necessarily need to be a 7 string, i actually want to stick to a 6 string now. l.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqWQome7z_s
Quote by Jaymz_515
I pretend I'm a huge spider laying eggs, then when I flush the toilet I fall to floor screaming "MY CHILLLDRENN!! NOOOO!"

- Mitch Hedberg
billy hyde says the c-7 is $1299
and i was not expecting that from that video haha
You could look at the Gibson Melody Maker, or the Les Paul Junior. The Junior is actually a really nice guitar, plays like heaven.

Or, if you can, you can try and have a look at some Gordon Smiths. I dunno if they're available in Australia though, but they are really good and quite cheap.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by Metal4themasses
Well, hardcore bands would be... I don't know, My Chemicle Romance? AFI? If i now that then i'd be able to help.

Lol, My Chemical Romance and AFI are alternative rock and punk, they are NOT hardcore or metal.

Here is some metal, it's not soft, it's not hard, it's in the middle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekFljd_2q-M
Quote by dsan224
Lol, My Chemical Romance and AFI are alternative rock and punk, they are NOT hardcore or metal.

Here is some metal, it's not soft, it's not hard, it's in the middle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekFljd_2q-M

Oh my god

When you said hardcore, I thought you meant something decent like hardcore punk.

Whats your amp?
Quote by psyo
billy hyde says the c-7 is $1299
and i was not expecting that from that video haha

By now, i think i've turned you off the c-7 series. But just so you know, there are cheaper models of it.
The C-7 hellraiser is the grand daddy, and the C-7 black jack and the regular C-7 are slightly cheaper.
Quote by Jaymz_515

- Mitch Hedberg
you could always check out local pawn shops. just break the high e with your pinky, start naming parts and problems. it's what dime used to do to get guitars cheaper. apparently it works rather well.