What's wrong with a Les Paul Special II? I have one and it plays just fine but I always read about people cracking on it. It's cheap but still plays well, so wtf?
Maybe I just got a really good one, idk.
I've been wondering the exact same thing. Everybody rips on them, almost as much as Spiders are flamed. Now there is some truth to what people say about Spiders, so I'm wondering what the deal is with these Specials. I'm wondering the same thing about Les Paul Studio's, by the way. 'Cause the Special II's are cheap, I can imagine something being wrong with them, but the Studio's are in a higher price class..
Specials are ALRIGHT for a beginner, but most people get agitated when people neglect the fact that there could be better options out there.
With an electronics replacement, and maybe some neck work, and it can be a pretty decent guitar. But stock, it usually sucks. The switch broke on me within a few days, and the pots have the most awful crackling, not to mention the sucky pickups or the raised frets 21-22.
I've played one with a seymour duncan set in it and played just as good as a studio.
No complaints about it from me.
The guitar is good for beginners, but I consider it not worth the investment because for an extra $100-$150 you can get a much better instrument.
Quote by MrKoks
I've been wondering the exact same thing. Everybody rips on them, almost as much as Spiders are flamed. Now there is some truth to what people say about Spiders, so I'm wondering what the deal is with these Specials. I'm wondering the same thing about Les Paul Studio's, by the way. 'Cause the Special II's are cheap, I can imagine something being wrong with them, but the Studio's are in a higher price class..

I love my spider amps lol. Just got a Spider IV 75 and I love it.Different strokes for different folks I guess.
It's my only guitar and I have to say its a lot better than my friends squier strat and it does give a decent tone compared to my other friend's semi-low-end esp. ive never actually played anything with great tone, so i dont know how good or bad its tone is.

however i did get some input jack problems. i'd say its the perfect beginner guitar
It was my first guitar and seemed to be pretty good when it was all that I knew, but as soon as I upgraded..DAMN! The actions seemed way too high even when I tried lowering it, and my fingers couldn't play complex riffs without slipping up. I've got problems with the elctronics of mine as well, my bridge pickup collapsed and I've had to get a new pot for it too.
It doesnt suck i guess for you, just in relativity to what else you could get for a bit more money
Fender 72 Tele Thinline (my baby)
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
They are just economy guitars. If you have one and are happy with it then other peoples opinions dont mean much. A friend of mine has 1 that has a nice level fret board and stays in tune.