So my girlfriends sister decided to do a free online IQ test. She managed to convince all of us to do the same one.

I did it thinking I'd get a quite good score, and it came back as 140. I thought the test may have been wrong but my girlfriend and her sisters got 105, 109 and 115 between them, so it can't have been that bogus.

I went and did another IQ test last night and I got 139. I went on to the MENSA website and it says you need an IQ of 132 to get in, which puts you in the top 2% bracket.

Obviously I was pretty shocked, so now I'm considering taking the MENSA home test to see how I do.

So are there any MENSA members in here? If so, advice would be great. Also, what's it like being a member?
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Strat,
Epiphone Les Paul ES,
Line6 Flextone III,
Laney VC15,
Some pedals,
Some recording gear.
Looking for mensa members in the pit? Seriously?
Quote by Plus_the_Bear

Electric Wizard owns.

Quote by MrDURPEEDURP
electricwizard_ wins at common sense!!!

92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you are part of the 8% who still listen to real music, copy and paste this in your sig.
132 to get in? I got over that once. And I'm no genius, trust me.
Ego inflating praise here:
Quote by Fishyesque
That is SOOOOOOOOOOO sig worthy! Pure awesomeness to you, sir.

C wut I did thar Fishy?

's UG
Yeah I've gotten 133 and 136 on online ones before.

I'm quite clever (if I do say so myself) but no genius.

Don't let your boat be empty, don't be a sunken dream
Don't let the boat regret thee, for what you could have seen

Yeah, I took a free IQ test. Got 147. I don't think it's accurate.

Is there any advantage to joining MENSA, apart from alienating 98% of the world and feeling superior because you belong to some elitist circle jerk that no-one cares about?

Also, I'm pretty sure they'll make you take an official test, which is harder.
don't be shocked. my iq lands between 132-139 when i take those tests. and i never have done a smart thing in my life.
my hovercraft is full of eels
IQ doesn't count period.

There are like 8 levels of intelligence and IQ tests don't measure it. Further, Mensa only cares about, like, 3 levels of intelligence. You could be an autistic savant with amazing reasoning skills and be unable to talk or write and get into Mensa.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
To be honest, the only reason I'd want to be in MENSA is because of how good it'd look on a CV.
Epiphone Les Paul ES,
Line6 Flextone III,
Laney VC15,
Some pedals,
Some recording gear.
I don't put much stock in any IQ score, official or not.

I've taken an officially administered IQ test, and got a 139, but I've scored anywhere from 122-189 on online tests, so definitely don't trust the online ones.

And no, I'm not a member of mensa because I'd rather not waste my time around a group of intellectually elitist pricks who feel like gods because of their IQ.

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
I'm in mensa. It's pretty boring to be honest. Quite a few of them are actually pretty stupid because of course IQ doesn't measure actual knowledge just the ability to take it in.

Quote by thiss_kidd
To be honest, the only reason I'd want to be in MENSA is because of how good it'd look on a CV.

I wouldn't join then If I were you. Apparently employers are pretty hostile to people who put their mensa membership on their CV.
Last edited by Nietsche at Oct 24, 2009,
^I can't be arsed to check your profile to see how old you are, but has MENSA had an effect on say, job interviews, getting into uni, college etc.?

Anything like that really?

Edit: Oh really, why?
Epiphone Les Paul ES,
Line6 Flextone III,
Laney VC15,
Some pedals,
Some recording gear.
At least you can get an IQ with three digits

See if you can take the mensa test, but yeah internet tests are meant to be easier
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
Quote by electricwizard_
Looking for mensa members in the pit? Seriously?

Great first post.
Quote by This_Kidd

I assume because you are, in essence, saying "**** my credentials, I'm in MENSA!!!"

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
Quote by soulflyV
Who gives a fuck? Dude's in Mensa, he's a fucking king amongst men! permavirgin

Fixed.
Quote by This_Kidd
^I can't be arsed to check your profile to see how old you are, but has MENSA had an effect on say, job interviews, getting into uni, college etc.?

Anything like that really?

Well it's pretty good for getting into uni's and whatnot but for jobs their are a lot of stories of employers singling out people who put MENSA on their application because they're afraid they'll be upstaged. I haven't actually tried it though.
Quote by MetalGS3SE
I assume because you are, in essence, saying "**** my credentials, I'm in MENSA!!!"

Im assuming the CV would be slightly more substantial than having MENSA stamped across it in huge, bold print haha.
Epiphone Les Paul ES,
Line6 Flextone III,
Laney VC15,
Some pedals,
Some recording gear.
I am the only one who thinks companies who charge for a IQ test might want to spread rumours that online tests are inaccurate? Just a thought.

An employer of course would not mark you down for being a member of MENSA i doubt it would help you much thou.
Quote by soulflyV
lol

More like permabadass, amirite?

Maybe in the eyes of this guy-

I just took the test and got a 129. I'm 15 now, and when I took the same test when I was like 11, I got 124. Gotta love progress.
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. Supplied amazing music to both me and my mother.

He will be missed.
I have to say I'm a member of Mensa, I passed the test for it when I was 6 (VERY pushy father) with a score of 154

Suffice to say that's probably dropped a bit by now.

As far as advice goes, from what I can remember the test was based on a number of logic puzzles, where having to place a missing shapes/symbol into a pattern was needed. They ranged from 3x3 to 12x12 squares so any puzzles along those lines would be good practice
Fender Jim Root Signature Telecaster
Martin Westside Custom Edition
Peavey 6505
Peavey XXX Cab
ISP Decimator Prorack G
Sennheiser EW172 G3
Sennheiser wireless IEM
Ibanez TS9DX
Boss TU-2 Tuner
MY BAND:
http://www.myspace.com/thedirtyyouth
Last edited by fwibble at Oct 24, 2009,
Quote by fwibble
I have to say I'm a member of Mensa, I passed the test for it when I was 6 (VERY pushy father) with a score of 154

ROFL!
Quote by fwibble

Well that sounds horrific
Online IQ tests aren't real in any way.

The fact that ANYONE got below genius level on one is terrifying.
Quote by fwibble

As far as advice goes, from what I can remember the test was based on a number of logic puzzles, where having to place a missing shapes/symbol into a pattern was needed. They ranged from 3x3 to 12x12 squares so any puzzles along those lines would be good practice

hello
Quote by Mr.DeadDuck
Well that sounds horrific

Horrific as in doing it at age 6 or my IQ score likely to have dropped?
Fender Jim Root Signature Telecaster
Martin Westside Custom Edition
Peavey 6505
Peavey XXX Cab
ISP Decimator Prorack G
Sennheiser EW172 G3
Sennheiser wireless IEM
Ibanez TS9DX
Boss TU-2 Tuner
MY BAND:
http://www.myspace.com/thedirtyyouth
Quote by ChucklesMginty
There are hundreds of them.
The most accurate ones use how long you took as a factor of your final score.

I'd like a link to the tests that these people claim they're taking.
Quote by Nietsche
I'm in mensa. It's pretty boring to be honest. Quite a few of them are actually pretty stupid because of course IQ doesn't measure actual knowledge just the ability to take it in.

Doesn't really measure that either. That is one aspect of intelligence that it leaves out.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington