I've made a few improvisations, and i've noticed a few things:
- My tone sucks
- My bends suck
- I miss notes fairly often

Would you guys please analyze a few video's i've made, and tell me what's wrong with my technique, and give advice? For example, I think i'm picking in a way that's not very 'economical', and my legato is weak. How do I pick in a more economical way, and how do I get the legato sounding clean?

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1220308
you have a good tone. I'll just write the same thing as I did on your other post: I would say you should learn the scales all around the neck and get more comfortable with them. practice bends playing the note that you're bending to and then match that note with the bend.
Quote by acoustielectric
you have a good tone. I'll just write the same thing as I did on your other post: I would say you should learn the scales all around the neck and get more comfortable with them. practice bends playing the note that you're bending to and then match that note with the bend.

Thanks for the tip about bends, but I don't quite understand what you mean with 'learn the scales all around the neck'
He means learn the scale shapes and how they fit together, so you can play notes all over the neck, not just in one place.

Also, you seem to bend by moving your fingers: dont. Try and bend by moving your wrist, so it pushes your finger into the string to bend - the motion should be like you are turning a dial on a mcrowave.

Staying on the subject of bending: try bending the string more (bend it to a higher note) but move the string between the two notes at a slower rate. More like a slower up and down motion, instead of a fast vibration.

Now I cant see your elbow, but il throw it out there anyway: When you start to pick fast, or pick at all to be honest, make sure no part of your body is tensed. Make sure all the movement is coming from your wrist, and that the pick is gliding over the top of the string and not digging in.

The legato is just practice: make sure your 1st finger of the fretting hand rest over the strings high than you are playing to mute them, but not hard enough for them to sound. Use your right hand thumb/palm to keep the strings below where you are playing quiet. You should always do this: not just with legato, it just seems alot of people forget.
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Last edited by pigeonmafia at Oct 24, 2009,
You've kind of got it right there.
1. If your tone sucks, play with the EQ settings on the amp until you find one you like.

2. Bends are easy to get better at. Play a note, then go 2 frets below that and bend the string to hit the same note. This is a lot easier with a tuner, but it can be done by ear. For example, play the 17th fret on the e-string. Then play the 15th fret. Bend the string until the pitch is the same as when you played the 17th fret.

3. If you miss notes often, practice slowly (I mean really slowly, so that it's almost painful to do it that slowly). Make sure you're playing is as relaxed as possible. Tension won't do any good at all. When you can play the passage correctly at the really slow speed, go a tiny bit faster and get the passage perfectly at that tempo. This is much easier with a metronome.

To improve your picking, check out these videos and try to use those ideas:
1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-NOMn3P9AE
2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkeyHyIgqvY

To improve your legato, check out these lessons and try it out:
1. http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/guitar_techniques/advanced_legato_techniques.html
2. http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/guitar_techniques/legato_techniques.html

Also, try to improve your finger independence. This is invaluable to fluid and clean playing (especially with intricate legato passages):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvhZ80OsuTQ
Quote by pigeonmafia
He means learn the scale shapes and how they fit together, so you can play notes all over the neck, not just in one place.

Ah, okay. I'm working on that

Also, you seem to bend by moving your fingers: dont. Try and bend by moving your wrist, so it pushes your finger into the string to bend - the motion should be like you are turning a dial on a mcrowave.

Thanks, i'll try to bend by moving my wrist . I've never turned a dial on a microwave, though, because we have a microwave with a keypad. What do you mean?

Staying on the subject of bending: try bending the string more (bend it to a higher note) but move the string between the two notes at a slower rate. More like a slower up and down motion, instead of a fast vibration.

You mean gradually bending it up, and gradually back down?

Now I cant see your elbow, but il throw it out there anyway: When you start to pick fast, or pick at all to be honest, make sure no part of your body is tensed. Make sure all the movement is coming from your wrist, and that the pick is gliding over the top of the string and not digging in.

I do almost all the picking with my wrist, except when i switch string. Thanks for the tip about gliding the pick over the top of the string and not digging in, very helpful

The legato is just practice: make sure your 1st finger of the fretting hand rest over the strings high than you are playing to mute them, but not hard enough for them to sound. Use your right hand thumb/palm to keep the strings below where you are playing quiet. You should always do this: not just with legato, it just seems alot of people forget.

I don't quite get what you mean, because I don't understand what you wrote (you mixed up a few words). But please elaborate on this, because it sounds like what i'm trying to learn, which is minimal movement of the left hand, because right now my fingers lift way too far from the fretboard. Please explain to me in detail what you meant and how to do it
Quote by Geldin
You've kind of got it right there.

Was that aimed at pigeonmafia, geldin, or me?

1. If your tone sucks, play with the EQ settings on the amp until you find one you like.

I almost never do that. Thanks

2. Bends are easy to get better at. Play a note, then go 2 frets below that and bend the string to hit the same note. This is a lot easier with a tuner, but it can be done by ear. For example, play the 17th fret on the e-string. Then play the 15th fret. Bend the string until the pitch is the same as when you played the 17th fret.

Thanks, i'll go practice that

3. If you miss notes often, practice slowly (I mean really slowly, so that it's almost painful to do it that slowly). Make sure you're playing is as relaxed as possible. Tension won't do any good at all. When you can play the passage correctly at the really slow speed, go a tiny bit faster and get the passage perfectly at that tempo. This is much easier with a metronome.

I think the backing tracks were too fast for me, because I miss a lot less notes at slower tempo's. But it was also that I sometimes picked a note which sounded out of place.

To improve your picking, check out these videos and try to use those ideas:
1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-NOMn3P9AE
2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkeyHyIgqvY

I've already watched the paul gilbert video many times, but didn't watch freepower's video that much. Thanks

Thanks for the links

Also, try to improve your finger independence. This is invaluable to fluid and clean playing (especially with intricate legato passages):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvhZ80OsuTQ

Ah.. that video. I've done what he says in that video for half an hour or so and it was very, very boring. But thanks for the link, I agree that finger independence is important

---

By the way, Metal Improvisation #3 has a lot more views than Metal Improvisation #2. Please watch Metal Improvisation #2, because in my opinion #3 sucks. (And Improvisation in D minor is a ballad)
Last edited by robinlint at Oct 24, 2009,
Quote by robinlint
Thanks, i'll try to bend by moving my wrist . I've never turned a dial on a microwave, though, because we have a microwave with a keypad. What do you mean?

The motion you want to make is rotating your wrist in a circle to push your fingers into the fretboard. Hold your hand infront of you and make the shape of holding the guitar neck: now simply rotate your wrist. Thats the motion you want to make

Quote by robinlint

You mean gradually bending it up, and gradually back down?

Sorta: its more when you do vibrato, you bend the string a very small amount and bend it up and down very quickly: try and slow it down, and bend a little futher

Quote by robinlint

I don't quite get what you mean, because I don't understand what you wrote (you mixed up a few words). But please elaborate on this, because it sounds like what i'm trying to learn, which is minimal movement of the left hand, because right now my fingers lift way too far from the fretboard. Please explain to me in detail what you meant and how to do it

sorry, i was writing quickly lol this is what it was ment to say

The legato is just practice: make sure your 1st finger of the fretting hand rests over the string/strings that are higher than the ones you are playing, to mute them, but not hard enough that they sound if you catch them. Use your right hand's thumb/palm to keep the string/strings below the ones you are playing to keep them quiet. This will remove string noise and keep the sound clean. Bear in mind you should always do this: not just with legato.
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Last edited by pigeonmafia at Oct 24, 2009,
Quote by pigeonmafia
The motion you want to make is rotating your wrist in a circle to push your fingers into the fretboard. Hold your hand infront of you and make the shape of holding the guitar neck: now simply rotate your wrist. Thats the motion you want to make

Alright, thanks for the advice

Sorta: its more when you do vibrato, you bend the string a very small amount and bend it up and down very quickly: try and slow it down, and bend a little futher

You mean the vibrato I do in the video? I'll try and slow it down, and bend a little further.
But what about the 'main' bends? You know, bending from one note to another? I like the sound of a slow bend gradually shifting up towards a note. But I also like a fast bend like Metallica uses. Oh, and, should I add vibrato when at the top of a bend?

sorry, i was writing quickly lol this is what it was ment to say

The legato is just practice: make sure your 1st finger of the fretting hand rests over the string/strings that are higher than the ones you are playing, to mute them, but not hard enough that they sound if you catch them. Use your right hand's thumb/palm to keep the string/strings below the ones you are playing to keep them quiet. This will remove string noise and keep the sound clean. Bear in mind you should always do this: not just with legato.

Ahh.. i'll use the 1st finger muting a bit more, then (i already use it, but not that much.). I've never used the thumb muting though, but wouldn't thumb muting be anchoring?
(And do you have any tips on fretting hand minimal movement? For example, when freepower plays his fingers stay very close to the fretboard)
Last edited by robinlint at Oct 25, 2009,
Bumping the thread because it got behind on the list, and I was still awaiting a reply from pigeonmafia.
If you're using backing tracks use audacity or something to slow them down to a speed you are comfortable with.

No, muting with your picking hand isn't the same as anchoring. Anchoring is basically keeping part of your hand/wrist in contact with the guitar to use as a reference point. Muting you need to be able to let your hand move, but you just use whatever bit of that hand is spare to lightly touch the lower strings just enough to stop them ringing out.