Will this amp be too loud for home practice? Its 5ws all valve and im getting a 2x12 with v30s in it to play with.

Also if i replaced the tubes in it if i disliked the tone could i replace the tube(s) and get a marshall-esque sound??? Or anything near it???
Gear:
LTD Viper-50
LTD V-250
Line 6 Spider iii 15
Randall RX120R
Boss ME-50
Home practice is a vague vague saying.

It's going to be LOUD, but it was a master volume so it should be usable.

and if you knew about the ISF control you wouldn't need to ask about the "marshall" sound.

Also off topic but don't buy new pickups for your Viper-50, it'll be pointless wasting money on a guitar which is a beginner guitar.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by benttwig33
Well, there is a volume knob for a reason! Turn it down?

+1, any amp can be used for any volume level. It always baffles me when people say amps can't be used to practice at home because they're too loud...
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by riflesndaisies
Also if i replaced the tubes in it if i disliked the tone could i replace the tube(s) and get a marshall-esque sound??? Or anything near it???

Get an amp you know you'll like, rather than one you might not enjoy. If you want it to sound like a Marshall buy a Marshall. The Marshall Class 5 is five watts, and very nice!

DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
THEY DON'T LIKE IT UP 'EM!
Quote by Chrisiphone
Home practice is a vague vague saying.

It's going to be LOUD, but it was a master volume so it should be usable.

and if you knew about the ISF control you wouldn't need to ask about the "marshall" sound.

Also off topic but don't buy new pickups for your Viper-50, it'll be pointless wasting money on a guitar which is a beginner guitar.

So can the ISF give it say a Mesa like tone then a Marshalls if it does US-UK voicing???
Viper Topic - Theres nothing wrong with vipers im upgrading it and im getting a ibanez (1)570 before or after this amp depending on if we start gigging buy the time i have the money

Quote by Don't Panic Ok?
Get an amp you know you'll like, rather than one you might not enjoy. If you want it to sound like a Marshall buy a Marshall. The Marshall Class 5 is five watts, and very nice!

I dont want a marshall i just want a simmilar tone but i want to make use of the ISF and marshalls are ridicously expensive
Gear:
LTD Viper-50
LTD V-250
Line 6 Spider iii 15
Randall RX120R
Boss ME-50
Last edited by riflesndaisies at Oct 24, 2009,
Quote by riflesndaisies
So can the ISF give it say a Mesa like tone then a Marshalls if it does US-UK voicing???
Viper Topic - Theres nothing wrong with vipers im upgrading it and im getting a ibanez (1)570 before or after this amp depending on if we start gigging buy the time i have the money

Pretty much, MESA -> Marshall more or less.

Vipers are good yes, Viper 50's aren't worth putting £130 of pickups in them.

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by Chrisiphone
Pretty much, MESA -> Marshall more or less.

Vipers are good yes, Viper 50's aren't worth putting £130 of pickups in them.

Im not probably as this is gonna be a rhythm guitar when i get my ibby so it will probably only get a SD or tonezone in it.

EDIT: chappers' ML1 is designed to be upgraded and thts only £250 so y cant i upgrade my £240 viper (mines special)

EDIT2: as anyone had any problems with this amp? before i buy it and then find out it blows up or something
Gear:
LTD Viper-50
LTD V-250
Line 6 Spider iii 15
Randall RX120R
Boss ME-50
Last edited by riflesndaisies at Oct 24, 2009,
Quote by riflesndaisies
Im not probably as this is gonna be a rhythm guitar when i get my ibby so it will probably only get a SD or tonezone in it.

EDIT: chappers' ML1 is designed to be upgraded and thts only £250 so y cant i upgrade my £240 viper (mines special)

Chappers ML1 has been designed to be very different from your LTD.

With the LTD, every part of it (hardware, pickups, body wood, neck wood, fingerboard, construction etc) are designed to be cheap and often very poor then they mark up the price.

With the Chapman ML1, the money that is spent on the guitar has been used to buy very good quality materials for the parts of the guitar you can't or won't want to swap, thats why it has a mahogany body, maple neck, ebony fretboard and decent bridge and tuners.
The electronics such as the pickups are the cheapest rob could find, so more of the project money goes to the key tonal and unchangable tonal aspects. Pickups are changable easily, and plus the guitar was also designed to be a "blank canvas" as sorts. So the player can pop whatever pickups they want in there for their own taste.

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by Chrisiphone
Chappers ML1 has been designed to be very different from your LTD.

With the LTD, every part of it (hardware, pickups, body wood, neck wood, fingerboard, construction etc) are designed to be cheap and often very poor then they mark up the price.

With the Chapman ML1, the money that is spent on the guitar has been used to buy very good quality materials for the parts of the guitar you can't or won't want to swap, thats why it has a mahogany body, maple neck, ebony fretboard and decent bridge and tuners.
The electronics such as the pickups are the cheapest rob could find, so more of the project money goes to the key tonal and unchangable tonal aspects. Pickups are changable easily, and plus the guitar was also designed to be a "blank canvas" as sorts. So the player can pop whatever pickups they want in there for their own taste.

Ok sorry i got it wrong ive just never found fault with it even compared to my friends schecter c-1 diamond or charvel 3a which are great kept instruments.
I prefer tones of alder/basswood anyway i might get a new neck sometime.
People all over the forum have created custom squires that have become prized instruments to them. Thanks for all the advice though it wont get pups for a while as im getting an amp and guitar first
Gear:
LTD Viper-50
LTD V-250
Line 6 Spider iii 15
Randall RX120R
Boss ME-50
Quote by riflesndaisies
Ok sorry i got it wrong ive just never found fault with it even compared to my friends schecter c-1 diamond or charvel 3a which are great kept instruments.
I prefer tones of alder/basswood anyway i might get a new neck sometime.
People all over the forum have created custom squires that have become prized instruments to them. Thanks for all the advice though it wont get pups for a while as im getting an amp and guitar first

It's just a strange thing to do as changing pickups in budget guitars are often a complete waste of money and a let down to the owner.

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by MatrixClaw
+1, any amp can be used for any volume level. It always baffles me when people say amps can't be used to practice at home because they're too loud...

well it depends, if the amp in question doesn't have a master volume, or you need power amp distortion, it's a valid concern. But if you're willing to use preamp gain, then I agree.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
well it depends, if the amp in question doesn't have a master volume, or you need power amp distortion, it's a valid concern. But if you're willing to use preamp gain, then I agree.

In that case, definitely. But unless it has a master volume, it's going to be extremely hard to get any distortion out of it, even if you can play louder than bedroom levels

Most modern amps have master volumes, especially in the price ranges of most of the people who post on UG. If someone wants distortion, it's most likely going to have one
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
well, yeah, but it's worth bearing in mind.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If you want to crank it (master and gain full) to get power tube distortion, then yes, it'll probably be too loud.
If you just want a nice, pre-amp distortion tone, then yes, it'll be fine.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Quote by benttwig33
Well, there is a volume knob for a reason! Turn it down?

This.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Quote by MatrixClaw

+9 THOUSAAAND!!!
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by MatrixClaw

Trust me, I can't get a mesa or a marshall on in this crib for 'home practice' In fact, even a 5 watt amp is too damn loud here (yes,I'm talking volume on 1)
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
Quote by Slicer666
Trust me, I can't get a mesa or a marshall on in this crib for 'home practice' In fact, even a 5 watt amp is too damn loud here (yes,I'm talking volume on 1)

1 on most high-wattage amps is like the volume of a TV in a large room.

That's ridiculous!
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
1 on most high-wattage amps is like the volume of a TV in a large room.

That's ridiculous!

wrong, even on my VK at volume 1 I can easily play over a TV at a reasonable volume in a large room.
Quote by shredmeiser101
I tried BAGDAD tuning once, it actually was quite alright.

Quote by Meths
Do you have to actively try to spell words that wrong or does it come naturally to you?

Quote by MedicreDemon
You are very clever.

I invented this literary device I call sarcasm, that was an example of it.
Quote by GU1T4R-H3R0
wrong, even on my VK at volume 1 I can easily play over a TV at a reasonable volume in a large room.

Every Peavey I've played/owned didn't have a very linear adjustable volume. So I can see that

My 5150 was pretty damn loud at 1.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by riflesndaisies

I dont want a marshall i just want a simmilar tone but i want to make use of the ISF and marshalls are ridicously expensive

As an owner i can say that no matter what anyone tells you, it's a british voiced amp. You can get tones that are less british, but without an MXR 10 band EQ in the FX loop this won't sound anywhere near a Mesa Boogie. It is very loud though, you'll end up keeping it under 2 most of the time.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Quote by TOMMYB22
As an owner i can say that no matter what anyone tells you, it's a british voiced amp. You can get tones that are less british, but without an MXR 10 band EQ in the FX loop this won't sound anywhere near a Mesa Boogie. It is very loud though, you'll end up keeping it under 2 most of the time.

Thanks for some detail finally!!!
i have searched the web and hayden's mofo has a power reduction to 2watts
worth it? would the Ht5 be better suited for high gain?
What pedals would i need?
tubescreamer?
E.Q pedal?
I have a boss me50 would this be good enough for now? I can get a E.Q later
Gear:
LTD Viper-50
LTD V-250
Line 6 Spider iii 15
Randall RX120R
Boss ME-50
you COULD always just run a pair of headphones through the ME50. I know it sounds daft, but...
But yeah, should be OK, turn it down a bit, and mess about with the other dials and the ME50 to get a reasonable tone (shouldn't be too hard). I have a Bugera 6260 (120w) but thats fine.