I'm sure this is somewhere else, but it just came to me as I was laying down last night.

Shouldn't right handed people play left handed guitars, and vice versa? I mean, your most skilled hand is being used as your strumming hand on a guitar usually. Isn't that kinda backwards? I'm left handed, and I have been playing left handed for 2 1/2 years, but I might try to switch soon.

What do you guys think?
That's what I initially thought. But my friend is left handed but plays a right handed guitar but his picking needs a lot of work. I've told him thousands of times to pick from his wrist, but he still picks from his elbow. I guess it's just a comfort level thing.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Your Lead hand (Right to Right handed people) Usually controls what you do, Write, Use a fork, drink with, ect, and the other hand follows. Your right hand in this case Leads, Because you have more controll over what is happening.

Therefore, by using your Right hand to pick on a right handed guitar, your Right hand controls ALL that you do, Unless you Skipped picking entirely, and went onto Legato.

This goes Vise Versa with Left handed people too.
Quote by Junior#1
That's what I initially thought. But my friend is left handed but plays a right handed guitar but his picking needs a lot of work. I've told him thousands of times to pick from his wrist, but he still picks from his elbow. I guess it's just a comfort level thing.

Your friend sounds like me
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
I thought about that too. My picking is constantly a source of problems for me because I play right handed guitar although I'm a lefty. The reason I play right handed is primarily because there's more options for instruments out there. I'm liking that I rarely have problems fretting stuff and left-hand intensive stuff like sweeping, though. That rocks.
Quote by Slicer666
Your friend sounds like me

Except he has a friend. ZING

Anyways, my dad's a lefty and he plays right handed, but layers his stuff with tons of legato, so the picking thing is never really an issue.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
I have thought about this as well, as I am left-handed but I play right-handed guitar. I don't really think hand preference matters, its just all about which way you are comfortable playing.

I do find it a little easier to have my dominant hand as my fretting hand. Chords are certainly easier. And as most people know, righty guitars are much easier to find than lefty ones.

Just my 2 cents.
both hands should be able to fret perfectly. the hand with which you write should also be able to pick
This is what my old guitar teacher did. He is right handed but he just thought it would make sense to put his stronger hand on the frets, so he plays left handed.
Gear
Gibson SG Standard with Bare Knuckle Riff Raff and Stormy Monday
Fender Eric Clapton Signature Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
Fulltone OCD
EHX Holy Grail Nano
BYOC Tone Bender Clone
Korg Pitchblack
Fender Bassman '59 Reissue
I've got to agree that the dominant hand is better being the hand doing the picking.
I'm right handed, and played that way for ten years, then didn't play for about ten years.
Now I'm relearning to play as a lefty (injured my right hand - that's why I stopped playing).
I'm having a LOT of trouble with using my left hand for picking.
Been playing lefty for about a year now, and my strumming is still terrible!
Right handed guitarist trying to learn to play lefty after a ten year break, and a severe left-hand injury!

Wish me luck ;-)
It's an odd one for me. I can fret with both hands. I'm a righty, and play guitar as a righty, but if I pick up a lefty guitar I can fret perfectly. However, I can't actually play it, because my left hand just can't strum, or keep a rhythm. It's just alien to me.
Quote by Andron17
Go away, I have an erection.

Bassist for Half My Kingdom.
Quote by TJ1991
It's an odd one for me. I can fret with both hands. I'm a righty, and play guitar as a righty, but if I pick up a lefty guitar I can fret perfectly. However, I can't actually play it, because my left hand just can't strum, or keep a rhythm. It's just alien to me.

I'm the same way. I can fret with both hands and quite often will do some 8 finger tapping (12 years of piano helped with that) but I can't strum with my left at all. I can do some finger picking, but strumming just isn't happening.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by Junior#1

i dont think its because hes left handed though. lots of right handed people do the same.
Quote by Junior#1
I can do some finger picking, but strumming just isn't happening.

This, to me, explains it all. Your dominant hand applies to the actual hand itself, not your fingers (at least to my mind) so while either set of fingers could learn to do the job at more or less the same rate your dominant hand will be more adept at fine movements using the wrist and therefore more suited to picking.

Try it yourself - put a pen in each hand and try writing your name with either of them, I think you'll probably find that your non-dominant hand moves from the elbow while your dominant hand moves from the wrist.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.