Not sure if this goes here but here goes.

Anyone have any soul music they recommend?

The only thing close to soul/R&B I have is Van morrison, and I want to get into more his type of stuff. With the brass intruments, and rich voice, etc.
Aretha is my favorite. http://vodpod.com/watch/1272088-aretha-franklin-the-blues-brothers-think-trilulilu-video-muzica

Followed by Sam and Dave http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFjtxxu1eMI

Otis Redding is a legend that could drive an audience out of their mind http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dael4sb42nI

I'm a fan of old school, raw and aggressive R&B
Last edited by Jimmy94 at Oct 24, 2009,
Curtis Mayfield and the Impressions, the Temptations, the Four Tops, The Supremes, Marvin Gaye, Ray Charles, the Miracles, Stevie Wonder, Allen Toussaint, Lee Dorsey, Sly and the Family Stone, the Meters, the Bar-Kays, the Mar-Keys, the Foundations, Charles Wright and the Watts 103rd Street Rhythm Band, Al Green
"There's Jimmy Page, one of the biggest thieves of American black music to ever walk the Earth."
Ray Charles and Charles Brown.
What is this that stands before me?

Figure in black that points at me...

FUCKETH THINE SELF
I'll just give you a list of some of my favorites you can (and should) check out:

Al Green
Otis Redding
Ray Charles
Sam Cooke
The Isley Brothers
Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings (great, traditional soul from a modern singer and band)
Aretha Franklin
Sam and Dave
The Four Tops (my favorite Motown group)
Marvin Gaye
Smokey Robinson
Stevie Wonder
"Notes are expensive. . .use them wisely"-B.B. King

"It's been very important throughout my career that I've met all the guys I've copied, because at each stage they've said, 'Don't play like me, play like you."-Eric Clapton
Once you get yourself into Ray Charles, who is a must, check out Donny Hathaway, the only man I know to have a better voice than Stevie Wonder.
American Fender Strat
1979 Marshall Superlead
Real Mccoy Wizard Wah
Robert Keeley Boss Tremolo
Euthymia Crucible Fuzz
Fulltone OCD+Deja Vibe
Line 6 DL4
Analogman BC108
Prescription C.O.B

Im a Single Coil man
I'd recommend Hot Buttered Soul by Isaac Hayes.
Matha Reeves and the Vandellas also have some great songs.
What got me into deep soul music was simply making a Blues Brothers station on Pandora.com. Worked like a charm, digging up lots of the people mentioned above
Get.......The Complete Stax-Volt Singles 1959-1968 [BOX SET] ......that they sell at Amazon.
I've been listening to a lot of Otis Redding lately. It's really good stuff.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by TNfootballfan62
I've been listening to a lot of Otis Redding lately. It's really good stuff.

Yeah man, not only is he a great singer, but Steve Croppers guitar playing on Otis' songs is pretty much a how-to Soul Guitar guide..
Yeah, Steve Cropper is really, really underrated. I think he also mixed/produced/whatever Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay, which is one of my favorite albums.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by Earthrug
Get.......The Complete Stax-Volt Singles 1959-1968 [BOX SET] ......that they sell at Amazon.

This. While I can appreciate Motown in all its glory for really down and on the spot R & B, nothing beats Stax-Volt.
ray charles- the genius of ray charles is pretty much the definitive R&B album, IMO.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.