Page 1 of 3
Okay so on MSN:

Me:charlies voice is like chad kroegers but less rough and with a greater range
Him:less rough is not as good
Me:yeah but charlie can do insane death screams
Him: i dont like that
Me:i know you dont, but i do
Him:you like people screaming? whats to like about it?
Me:its a way of expressing emotions like anger
Him:why would you want a song to make you angry?
Me:its a valid vocal technique., its expressing someones anger.
Him: why do you want to listen to someone being angry

So, do you think screaming should be allowed in songs? Is it a valid vocal technique, to express emotion at critical times in the song, or is it just noise?

Also is categorising all music with screaming in as screamo wrong? Cos hes just said screamo means screaming.
Last edited by EndTheRapture51 at Oct 24, 2009,
What's your opinion TS?
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Quote by Momentosis
What's your opinion TS?

I think its valid when anger, angst or sadness needs to be expressed.

Personally, I listen to bands who incorporate alot of screaming, and the other guy thinks anything with any type of scream in is noise.

Basically it began as a Fightstar vs. Nickelback debate. He thinks Chad is some kind of mighty god of rock and Nickelback "sing it how it is"
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Him: why do you want to listen to someone being angry

why would you want to listen to someone falling in love, overcoming a conflict, struggling with relationships, learning life, etc?

screaming is just as valid as a vocal technique as singing.
"take your form
be my fear, be my hope
be the indication
if i'm right or wrong

take your most dreadful form
and let it be known"
he provided assurance
I think it depends on the screaming and style of music and yes its valid
Well IMO and not trying to start a flame fest, anyone can scream but barely anyone can sing good.
Quote by darkcheef
Well IMO and not trying to start a flame fest, anyone can scream but barely anyone can sing good.

You serious?

Quote by Anthony1991
if its overused in an album or song, then its not valid its just emo.

Oh yeah, that makes sense.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
It's obviously valid, people do it all the time.

People also make threads identical to this all the time. Go away.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by darkcheef

try to pull off perfect death growls.
I guess it's a valid technique, BUT, Screaming is just noise in my opinion.
DeVillains!
Quote by darkcheef

It isn't opinion if you state it as fact. Have you ever looked into what it takes to scream? If you just plain scream you will ruin your voice, no one really just yells. And singing easy isn't so hard with the right amount of practice
Quote by Momentosis
You serious?

Yep, it is easier to find people who can do WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO at a low voice rather than sing like someone like Freddy Mercury.

But I do think it is valid.
Quote by darkcheef

Quote by Anthony1991
if its overused in an album or song, then its not valid its just emo.

"take your form
be my fear, be my hope
be the indication
if i'm right or wrong

take your most dreadful form
and let it be known"
he provided assurance
It's a valid vocal technique, but it annoys me to hell
Hull City A.F.C

Quote by Thrashtastic15
crunkym toy diuckl;ess ass ****igkjn ****** **** bitch ass pussy ****er douchecanoe ****** **** you s omn cnt you lieet le biutch
Quote by darkcheef

True for the most part. While anyone can scream, not everyone can scream properly (because they lack technique and practice). Those people usually end up frying their vocal chords, like the guy in Alexisonfire. His screams suck now, apparently.
First of all your friend listens to nickleback.
He's an outstanding douche thanks to that factor alone.
Who gives a **** what he says honestly.
I sure know i don't.

People these days don't appreciate screaming like people 40 years ago didn't accept distorted guitar.
Give it time. Us screamers are just evolved sooner.
It'll become a norm in society and some other god awful technique of sorts will come around, revolutionize music and we'll hate that just as much honestly.

Screaming in musics definately valid. Sometimes its just batshit crazy.
Like some bands lyrically are brilliant. The Number 12 looks like you comes to mind.
But vocally i would rather jam my right hand in my moms bitchin new kitchenaid blender.
Bands like Atreyu (their newer stuff more noticacbly), Underoath (same deal), Static lulaby all have i'd say a perfect balance between harsh vocals and almost beautiful clean vocals that contrast so perfectly that how could it not be accepted.
I love it. Without a doubt, i don't consider it to be angry though. Its expression in general.
There :P
Quote by darkcheef
Yep, it is easier to find people who can do WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO at a low voice rather than sing like someone like Freddy Mercury.

But I do think it is valid.

You obviously have no idea what you're talking about.
also, your friend sounds like douche

Him:why would you want a song to make you angry?

such narrowmindedness is pitiful
Quote by sashki
I can't scream

Ofcourse you can, just pretend you're being murdered.

Anyone can scream growl or do whatever that most metal 'vocalists' can do, it's not hard its just learning how.

its not a valid technique if its overused, because you cant just recreate the 'anger' for each song, it devalues the point of it.
To do it right it requires just as many techniques as normal singing does..

Maybe not as many but still requires practice.
It's not a matter of opinion, it's a fact that it's a "valid technique." (Are there invalid techniques? what???). It's not just screaming like a baby, you still have target pitches, rhythms, volumes, timbres, and even a proper approach to producing your sound. It is just as "valid" of a way to express as singing. To say it's just noise when there is all of these musical properties is just ignorant. Not everybody can scream well, it takes a lot of the same things that singing takes to perform as a screamer.
Quote by Erik_Aero
You obviously have no idea what you're talking about.

Obviously I do, I have about 15 death metal CDs

I never said it was bad btw.
Quote by Anthony1991

Anyone can scream growl or do whatever that most metal 'vocalists' can do, it's not hard its just learning how.

its not a valid technique if its overused, because you cant just recreate the 'anger' for each song, it devalues the point of it.

so by your logic, a guitarist who uses distortion isnt a valid musician? gimme a break
Quote by NemX162
It's not a matter of opinion, it's a fact that it's a "valid technique." (Are there invalid techniques? what???). It's not just screaming like a baby, you still have target pitches, rhythms, volumes, timbres, and even a proper approach to producing your sound. It is just as "valid" of a way to express as singing. To say it's just noise when there is all of these musical properties is just ignorant. Not everybody can scream well, it takes a lot of the same things that singing takes to perform as a screamer.

what he said
Valid yes, but mostly unaccepted by the mainstream.

Screaming should not be confused with "screamo". Screamo implies "scream" and "emo" hence "screamo".

I think.
What is mountains? A mountains has no special shapes or sound!

Epic Chill Broseph Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join.

Quote by gavincandance

this.

screaming good =/= easy or emo
Quote by wonderflap
You had to put a penis option.......

The results are now nulled due to this being the pit.... The home of penis watch wearers.

Quote by TheChaz
Rust in peace invented food
he sure is one legit dude
don't let it get to your head

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Anthony1991

Learning how to do it right can be pretty hard if you have no idea what you're doing. It took me forever to figure out how to do it right, and the only reason I got it down was because I started imitating every other vocalist I heard. And growling is definitely different from screaming in terms of technique.

And your last statement is invalid, who says that screaming has to exemplify anger? Ever listen to August Burns Red? A lot of their lyrics are positive, but all of their vocals are screams. It doesn't detract from the value at all. The message is still there, it's just a matter of how you want to convey it.
Quote by Life Is Brutal
If it expresses the Idea of the song, Im all for it, But if you whine about stuff and turn it Into Screamo, Its useless.

It is a technique, But I hate overuse of anything.

Overuse? So you can overuse screaming but you can't overuse singing?

Tell that to all the people who like bands who exclusively scream. You seem to be just expressing your distaste for a group of genres, rather than discussing the technique itself.
very much so yes, to be a good screamer is a hard thing to do, I find and many screamers find that being a screamer is a very hard technique to master, if your just yelling loudly, that takes no skill, but true growls and screams take skill to learn
amps
Vox Ac 30 (main)
Fender Supersonic with Krank Krankenstien 4x12
OR 50 with 4 x 12
Gassing for ibanes airplane flanger
Quote by conroy91
First of all your friend listens to nickleback.
He's an outstanding douche thanks to that factor alone.
Who gives a **** what he says honestly.
I sure know i don't.

Due to this part I'll assume the rest of your post is a load of crap...

Us screamers are just evolved sooner.

Anyway of course screaming should be allowed in music but it's not for me. I don't mind the odd scream in a song if it's conveying emotion. I cannot stand a whole song of screaming, it just grates on me.
if your good at it i dont think it should be called screaming, like take Jari from wintersun, his vocals are amazing hes not really just screaming its just harsh, thats what i do when i sing i guess. but then if its bands like BDM and job for a cowboy( i really really hate these bands) then i think its more just screaming, but i think they have next to zero talent...
Divine creations now destroyed to uncover the haunted atmosphere
Strange visions of the ancient spirits, travesty of man appears
Coldness and the storming winds lurking for prey
The forces of the Winter reign in dreadful way, there's no escape
Quote by darkcheef
Obviously I do, I have about 15 death metal CDs

I never said it was bad btw.

You're saying it's easier to find someone that can scream than someone who can sing like Freddie Mercury. There are just as many bad screamers as there are bad singers. It's just as tough to find an amazing screamer/growler that can sustain screams for long periods of time and hit certain notes with ease, as finding an amazing singer.
Last edited by Erik_Aero at Oct 24, 2009,
Page 1 of 3