ok i was kinda unsure of which forum to post this in, so please correct me if i posted wrong.

anyway i'm fairly new at guitar and i'm starting to get the hang of the bar chords... well.. i'm not a master in switching to them, but at least i get a clear sound :P

anyway i was wondering how do you know where to take the different chords as bar chords?

as i understanded it there are basically 4 kinds of bar chords.
one that look like E, one that look like Em, one that look like A, and one looking like Am,
right?

so basically if you take the E formed bar chord on any fret you will have a chord corresponding to the node of the E string on the fret you are holding your finger across, right?
and if you do the one that looks like the A you will have a chord corresponding to the node on the A string?

i'm pretty unsure of this so please help me out :P

also if there's anything else important you think i should know about bar chords please tell me

thanks in advance

-Craksy
e shape corresponds with the E string
a shape corresponds with the a string (E is muted)
c shape corresponds with the a string
d shape corresponds with the d string (this is less used due to a fret gap)

i think these should be correct
cant remember of any other shapes right now that can be easily done with bar chords
There's way more than just 4 ways to play a barre chord. Basically anything where you have to barre a finger could be considered a barre chord. As for what fret is what chord and whatnot, you are basically right on. But it's not always about what note is at the top of the chord. If you have something like

e|-7-
B|-9-
G|-9-
D|-9-
A|-7-
E|-7-

it looks like the A major form at the 7th fret (E) but there's an extra note in the base, a B, which would make it a split chord (E/B). You'll come to more of those eventually. Other than that, you pretty much got it.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Last edited by Junior#1 at Oct 24, 2009,
all open chords can be barred at various positions along the neck. the root note gives the chord it`s name withing the chronomatic scale.......

the notes used to make up the chord(from the scale) give it`s voicing (major, minor , 7th , dim, 13th etc)

fyi, it`s "barre" chord not "bar" chord
Last edited by ibanezgod1973 at Oct 24, 2009,
Quote by Craksy

as i understanded it there are basically 4 kinds of bar chords.
one that look like E, one that look like Em, one that look like A, and one looking like Am,
right?

Those are the basic, but as it has already been said, there are more.

Quote by Craksy

so basically if you take the E formed bar chord on any fret you will have a chord corresponding to the node of the E string on the fret you are holding your finger across, right?
and if you do the one that looks like the A you will have a chord corresponding to the node on the A string?

Yeah, thats right. E.g:

E|-0
B|-1
G|-2
D|-2
A|-0
E|-x
A minor

E|-2
B|-3
G|-4
D|-4
A|-2
E|-x
B minor

E|-0
B|-0
G|-1
D|-2
A|-2
E|-0
E major

E|-1
B|-1
G|-2
D|-3
A|-3
E|-1
F major
Quote by ChadHydro
Yeah you can really barre anything, some barring will be awkward though but you're essentially just starting the nut over with your index finger, like you do with a capo

Exactly

is a barre chord too, I have no idea what kind or if it even sounds good but it still is one.
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Exactly

is a barre chord too, I have no idea what kind or if it even sounds good but it still is one.

If I'm not wrong that's a BbMaj7add2
Quote by Niiko_Xeneize

Do people seriously know shit like this just off the top of their head?
God, I suck...
Quote by JohnnyV
I'm pretty sure the feeling i get when i blow my load on my computer screen is a f*ck of a lot different than when i shoot in on my girlfriend's face.

Music things

PRS SE Custom 24
Epiphone G400
Vox AC15C1
Quote by Lots O' FX
Do people seriously know shit like this just off the top of their head?
God, I suck...

Don't worry, I just began studying theory since a month ago I only played the chord and it sounded ok so I wanted to know which chord it was, wrote down every note that were being played (they were A, D, Bb, C, F and A) and checked all those notes scales to see which one contained all the other notes, I found out that Bb (or A#) has D as 3rd, F as 5th and A as 7th that would have been a BbMaj7 but it also had C which is Bb's 2nd so it's a BbMaj7add2. It's not that hard as it seems, once you learn how to form scales and chords then it'll be a piece of cake so don't be discouraged.
Quote by Niiko_Xeneize

I think it's a Bbmaj9. But it's all good.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by Junior#1
I think it's a Bbmaj9. But it's all good.

This. Seriously, if there's already a 7th in the chord there's no need to call it add2, it makes the name way too long and is pointless. It's basically just a 9th on top of it, so Bbmaj9. Goodbye.