Okay, well to start the story, I'm a paid accompanist for this local choir called Rainbow Classics. I got the music for the 4 songs I am supposed to accompany for them about 3 or 4 weeks ago, and like the procrastinator I am, I held off starting to practice and look them over until this past Wednesday. Now, I've learned 2 of the songs so far, but I still have 2 left and rehearsal starts tomorrow.

Now here's my question... Does anyone have a certain way to practice to learn songs quickly? I mean, I have all night, but I'd rather have them learned before like, 2 or 3 in the morning.

What I've been doing is starting on one song and breaking it down into sections. Then, I'd take one section and learn the right hand, then the left hand, and then I'd take my metronome and set it at about half-speed (let's say the tempo for the song is 120, I would set the metronome at 60) and play through the section with both hands over and over until it felt comfortable. Once I feel comfortable at 60, I would bump it up to 65, and so on. Is there a faster way to learn a song than this? Any help would be great, thanks
Cut some of the metronome antics. Maybe do half speed, 3/4, then full. Not just by 5 bpm.

Aside from that, do it line by line like you're doing.

Good luck man!
Quote by Venice King
Beethoven ****ed Jimi Hendrix and I was born. I make my own music.
It seems to me that piano would be a lot harder to learn complex things on than guitar, because both hands are playing notes...
Yeah thats a good point. Are we talking chords? Arpeggios? Scales?

Look for patterns. Ex. G B D G B D is just an arpeggiated G chord.
Quote by Venice King
Quote by captaincrunk
Is it mostly chords?

Not necessarily. It's kind of like, chords in the right hand, but there's a melody there also, hard to explain... One of the things that's difficult for me though, is trying to get my hand into the awkward chords, because most of the songs are spiritual, so there's a lot of weird chords in the songs.
Quote by Ghast
Yeah thats a good point. Are we talking chords? Arpeggios? Scales?

Look for patterns. Ex. G B D G B D is just an arpeggiated G chord.

A mix of chords, scales, and arpeggios. I'd say that it's mostly chords, but then it has a melody in between chord changes to flow one chord into the other, if you know what I'm saying.
Yeah, I know what you mean. I hate pieces with everything. Theres no way to cheat xD

Just try doing the chords alone, and adding the transitions later?
Quote by Venice King