hi im looking into buying my first wah and was just about buy the v847 when i scrolled down the page and there was a massive advert with "The all new vox v845 only £49.99" which is £20 less than the v847. All i want to know is if they both sound the same because if they do and are only cosmetically different, i will be saving my self 20 to go to another pedal.

Thanks in advance!
Quote by Pr0gNut
How dare you get all philosophical with logic and reasoning! This UG Sir,where one must blindly yell out opinions then viciously attack anyone who disagrees with said opinions.
A Vox trying to look like a crybaby... what's the world coming to

I'd wait for the official release and try one before you buy it. Have it side by side with a V847 and a Crybaby and make your decision on what you think sounds best.

If it means you have to save a little more for the thing you really want, then isn't it worth it?
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
i have enough for both of them but want to know which one is the best for the money and also they are released in the uk dont know about australia
Quote by Pr0gNut
How dare you get all philosophical with logic and reasoning! This UG Sir,where one must blindly yell out opinions then viciously attack anyone who disagrees with said opinions.
bump
Quote by Pr0gNut
Save your self the pain and get the real deal....Dunlop Crybaby!
Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Alpine White)

Line 6 Spider IV 75w

Digitech Whammy Pedal

Dunlop Crybaby

Boss DS-1

Ibanez Jumpstart Metal Guitar

Ibanez Jumpstart 15w amp
Quote by yelad93
Save your self the pain and get the real deal....Dunlop Crybaby!

The real deal? What makes the Dunlop more real than a Vox?

And surely the "real deal" would be an original Vox Crybaby?

TS, based on the price and that the casing looks like its been made cheaper than a V847 then I would say you were better off with something else. HOWEVER, no one has yet played one, so we don't know what they're like. Wait 'til it comes out and try it.
"Music snobbery is the worst kind of snobbery. 'Oh, you like those noises? Those sounds in your ear? Do you like them? They're the wrong sounds. You should like these sounds in your ear.'"
- Dara O'Briain
Quote by Sampy
The real deal? What makes the Dunlop more real than a Vox?

And surely the "real deal" would be an original Vox Crybaby?

TS, based on the price and that the casing looks like its been made cheaper than a V847 then I would say you were better off with something else. HOWEVER, no one has yet played one, so we don't know what they're like. Wait 'til it comes out and try it.

Look at who has used the crybaby:

Jimi hendrix, tom morrello, eric clapton, david gilmore, kirk hammett, jimmy page, dimebag darrell, slash, stevie ray vaughan, zakk wylde, the edge, steve vai, Yngwie Malmsteen, dave murray, john frusciante, Christopher Shiflett

Line 6 Spider IV 75w

Digitech Whammy Pedal

Dunlop Crybaby

Boss DS-1

Ibanez Jumpstart 15w amp
Quote by yelad93

Jimi hendrix, tom morrello, eric clapton, david gilmore, kirk hammett, jimmy page, dimebag darrell, slash, stevie ray vaughan, zakk wylde, the edge, steve vai, Yngwie Malmsteen, dave murray, john frusciante, Christopher Shiflett

What the hell does that have to do with anything?
Quote by yelad93

You are a ****ing moron. Hendrix used a Vox Clyde McCoy, as did Clapton and SRV (atleast in the beginning of his career). Jimmy Page used an original grey Vox. Frusciante is a notorious user of the Ibanez WH-10. Steve Vai's is modded and the rack wahs that all the rest except Zakk and Dime use are nothing like the POS stock GCB-95s. Go peddle your misinformed bull shit elsewhere.

And the Dunlop CryBaby is not the real deal or anything close. The first wahs were made by Vox and the original CryBabys were made by Thomas Organ. Jim Dunlop bought the rights to the name in the 80s, like he did with most of his products, ie Fuzz Face, Univibe, MXR.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Last edited by mmolteratx at Oct 26, 2009,
Quote by Alex Vik
What the hell does that have to do with anything?

if these renown artists swear by these, they must be good

Line 6 Spider IV 75w

Digitech Whammy Pedal

Dunlop Crybaby

Boss DS-1

Ibanez Jumpstart 15w amp
Quote by yelad93

The name Crybaby was from the original pedal from which it was copied, the Thomas Organ/Vox Cry Baby wah-wah

More recently, Dunlop had manufactured the Vox pedals under licence, though this is no longer the case

Yeah, real deal alright

Quote by yelad93

Gibson made a Jimi Hendrix signature Stratocaster. What's your point?

You make me angry because of your ignorance.

Quote by yelad93

As proven already, a lot didn't swear by the Dunlop Crybaby. And a lot of artists swear by Ernie Ball strings, does that make them so good every single person must use them? No, it just makes them a popular brand. Marshall is used a lot, does that mean that all of their products are great? No, it means they're a popular brand. Go do some homework and come back when you're done.
Last edited by Alex Vik at Oct 26, 2009,
Quote by yelad93
look who has been given large sums of money or freebies to promote the crybaby as part of an endorsement deal

Look kid, the current 'Cry Baby' wah which Dunlop make is not the same pedal as the one you might have seen most of these guys using.

Vai uses the Bad Horsie, and his Crybabies are specially modified. Frusciante prefers the Ibanez WH-10. Hendrix used one of the first Vox Clyde McCoys. Clapton used the Vox Crybaby. Kirk Hammett uses a custom rack wah setup. Slash uses EMB Audio and Dunlop rack wah systems. Jimmy Page used a Vox Crybaby.

Lesson: Don't take all the advertising as fact. Yes, most of these artists have used at some point, but not the Dunlop type you'd find in your local guitar shop.

Back in the real world...this new V845 sounds like a way of filling a gap in the market, though the idea of a 9V jack and lighter chassis appeals to me. However, no-one's tried one yet, and we don't know whether it's a different circuit/cheaper components, so I'd wait a little while before ordering one.

However, if it turns out to be the 847 circuit (though it'll be the 847a probably) in a lighter, more economical chassis, I'd go for it.
Quote by yelad93

You really are a complete ignoramus aren't you?
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

all i can say is that when i bought a wah i tried the crybaby side by side with the vox and i bought the vox

...just sayin
Gear
Fender MIM strat
Epiphone G-400 in white (yeah i know, fuck you i like it)
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Roland Micro Cube
EHX Big Muff
Danelectro Cool Cat Distortion
EHX Nano Small Stone
Boss DD-3 Delay
Vox V847-A Wah
Radial London Bones
"[Hendrix] said that the CryBaby gave the biggest range from trebel to bass, and it had the hugest wah effect, the fastest action, and the most authentic vocal sound," remembered Bloomfield.

This is a quote from a Guitar Player magazine on Jimi Hendrix's gear.

Line 6 Spider IV 75w

Digitech Whammy Pedal

Dunlop Crybaby

Boss DS-1

Ibanez Jumpstart 15w amp
Last edited by yelad93 at Oct 27, 2009,
Quote by Alex Vik

As proven already, a lot didn't swear by the Dunlop Crybaby. And a lot of artists swear by Ernie Ball strings, does that make them so good every single person must use them? No, it just makes them a popular brand. Marshall is used a lot, does that mean that all of their products are great? No, it means they're a popular brand. Go do some homework and come back when you're done.

Most of the times they are popular because they are good. Take the gibson lp for instance or the fender strat.

Line 6 Spider IV 75w

Digitech Whammy Pedal

Dunlop Crybaby

Boss DS-1

Ibanez Jumpstart 15w amp
Wow. Ever heard the expression "quit while you're ahead"? No wait, that one isn't quite applicable. How about you "pissing in to the wind"?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Is he a troll or a retard?
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
Quote by yelad93
This is a quote from a Guitar Player magazine on Jimi Hendrix's gear.

Notice he never said Dunlop CryBaby, just Crybaby. He used a CryBaby that wasn't Dunlop.

Quote by yelad93
Most of the times they are popular because they are good. Take the gibson lp for instance or the fender strat.

I hate Gibson Les Pauls. They feel ok when standing up, but sitting down they're a pain in the ass.
just out of interest who mentioned the crybaby? i didnt, all i wanted was to know was the difference between v847 and v845 not create havoc, i wasnt even considering the crybaby. Anyway i tried crybaby (just out of interest) the v845 and v847a together and decided to get the v847a as it more sweep although couldnt handle very high gain as well as the crybaby but i use little gain anyway. The v845 seemed to be somewhere in between the crybaby and v847 but opted to go for v847, it gives a real nice hendrixy wah perfect for voodoo child and the like.
Quote by Pr0gNut
Quote by Alex Vik
Notice he never said Dunlop CryBaby, just Crybaby. He used a CryBaby that wasn't Dunlop.

Who else made crybabys back then when hendrix was alive?

Line 6 Spider IV 75w

Digitech Whammy Pedal

Dunlop Crybaby

Boss DS-1

Ibanez Jumpstart 15w amp
Quote by yelad93

Vox did. Vox invented the wah pedal and they named them Cry Baby. They didn't copyright the name and Dunlop bought it later on. I can't seem to find out when the first Dunlop wahs were made, but if it's after 1970 then hendrix never used one.

And good choice TS, it's a great wah, and very reasonably priced.
"Music snobbery is the worst kind of snobbery. 'Oh, you like those noises? Those sounds in your ear? Do you like them? They're the wrong sounds. You should like these sounds in your ear.'"
- Dara O'Briain
Quote by yelad93

VOX

Have you not read anything else has said, and instead are so intent on spewing off utter rubbish which you obviously know very little about!?
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by yelad93

The worst part is half of them use vox wahs

And the 45 has a massive lack of chrome, I would have to try them side by side. The standard is a good wah for the money and wahs are easily modded so you could make it sound infinitely better
Last edited by Rhoads_1096 at Oct 27, 2009,
Quote by Rhoads_1096

The worst part is half of them use vox wahs

if u actually read the article that i linked to you will see the details. If they hadn't used dunlop, i wouldn't have posted that they did....

Line 6 Spider IV 75w

Digitech Whammy Pedal

Dunlop Crybaby

Boss DS-1

Ibanez Jumpstart 15w amp
Quote by yelad93

You spelled Tom Morello and David Gilmour wrong, but you spelled Yngwie Malmsteen right?

EDIT: On topic, to TS, I'd just go for a used V847 and call it a day, I'm GASing for one myself.
Between the velvet lies, there's a truth as hard as steel.
The vision never dies, life's a neverending wheel.
Last edited by edbert at Oct 27, 2009,
Quote by yelad93
if u actually read the article that i linked to you will see the details. If they hadn't used dunlop, i wouldn't have posted that they did....

Dunlop as a company didn't even exist until after Hendrix was dead you dolt!
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

at this thread. TS has made a choice, and a good one at that. I miss getting to play my old roommates 847...makes me think I should get one myself...and a delay...darn you TS for getting my GAS going!
Quote by yelad93

Think of it this way, dear misinformed one.

Back in the day, (not when dinosaurs were roaming the land, think a bit more modern) Ibanez Tubescreamer chips were MADE by a company called Maxon, (who are still around today) who had the patent (copyright) for the said chip. More recently, Maxon and Ibanez split to two independent companies. Ibanez got to choose the name "Tubescreamer", as they were the markering front of it all, but Maxon kept their chip and still use it today in the Maxon OD-808, which is why, generally, lots of people (including myself) recommend the OD-808 over an Ibanez Tubescreamer
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
this argument is ridiculous. just give the guy some advice. stop quarreling over useless specifics. buy what sounds good to you. play around in the shop with every wah in your price range and take your favorite right over to the counter and buy it. simple. damn simple.
Peter Frampton: "Homer Simpson wrecks my pig, Cypress Hill steals my orchestra.... and Sonic Youth is in my cooler! Get outta there you kids!"

Thurston Moore: "Come on Mr. Frampton... you're not gonna eat all that watermelon..."