hey, so my itunes is really messed up with repeats / songs that cant be found / etc, but I do have all my music in a seperate folder which is in perfect shape (no repeats and whatnot). can i just delete my whole itunes library and somehow move all the songs from the seperate folder into it? sorry if this doesnt make sense, but im not very computer savy... feel free to ask any questions if you need clarification on the problem.

thanks
MEOW
Just change the iTunes folder location to the folder that's in working condition (under Preferences>Advanced)
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
sounds like it should work. try it with one song first. also when you do that set the preferences to not copy songs iTunes will do that to you and it does indeed suck by taking up space.
Yea, delete the music from itunes WITHOUT removing from disk, then take the folder and drag it to the iTunes window and it should just import them all.

This is how I do it on my Mac, I don't know if it will let you do it this way on a PC.

Also, I think it will copy it to an iTunes music folder, but it is usually really nicely organized in there anyway.
if you move you're folder from the place it was originally or have a playlist file (.m3u), you will have errors, and repeats (respectively).

The easiest thing to do would be to move all of you're music into one big folder (but have more individual folders inside that one folder to keep it still seperate). I.E. Have a main music folder (main folder) > Artist Folder (one for each artist) > Album Folder (one for each album). Then delete all .m3u files from those folders and upload the entire music folder at once.

That's what i did so it's just my opinion

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
thanks for all the quick replies guys

Quote by SPBY
if you move you're folder from the place it was originally or have a playlist file (.m3u), you will have errors, and repeats (respectively).

The easiest thing to do would be to move all of you're music into one big folder (but have more individual folders inside that one folder to keep it still seperate). I.E. Have a main music folder (main folder) > Artist Folder (one for each artist) > Album Folder (one for each album). Then delete all .m3u files from those folders and upload the entire music folder at once.

That's what i did so it's just my opinion

this is EXACTLY how my seperate folder is set up, but how exactly do I delete the .m3u files and upload the whole music folder?

EDIT: I am on a PC
MEOW
Last edited by HeyItsChenny at Oct 24, 2009,
Quote by HeyItsChenny
thanks for all the quick replies guys

this is EXACTLY how my seperate folder is set up, but how exactly do I delete the .m3u files and upload the whole music folder?

EDIT: I am on a PC

i used to have a PC (i switched to mac since i major in design at my college now) but if i remember correct you can search somehow for specific file names or extensions in a certain folder. So go to your main music folder and search for ".m3u" (without the quotes). then just delete every file that comes up with .m3u at the end of it. or remove them and place them in a different file first. if something goes wrong, just put them back. nothing should go wrong however.

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
hey so i tried to move the .m3u's into another folder (just in case i screwed something up), but only about 3/4s of them went into the new folder. the ones that are left in the search results page where i found them refuse to be moved or deleted. it gives me an error that says "Cannot delete file: Cannot read source file or disk." or "Cannot move file: Cannot read source file or disk." Should i just forget about those and delete all the m3u's that can be 'read'?
MEOW