Page 1 of 3
I felt in love with the art of building a guitar with my custom iceman so....

I'm planning a next build

for this one, it will be sommething a little bit different of what you usually see...

here's the spects

Telecaster shape w/ semi hollow,special "f" holes, a kind of tribal I draw,
mahogany for wood,
flame maple top ( how thick? )
neck trough,
maple neck, ebony fretboard
25.5 scale,
compound radius,
24 frets
block inlays ( custom les paul style ) in RED,
somme random tuners, maybe gotoh as my first guitar I made...
red binding around the fretboard
head shaped like a ESP eclipse ( but more stylish, i have a drawing if you want )

here's where I will need help....
floyd rose, original? Shaller? Gotoh? whatever cheap licensed?
pickguard... Clear? flame maple tinted in black? paraloid?
I will probably put dual EMG as pickups... but maybe a sustaniac in the neck position, should I ?

finishing: top will be tinted red, with a little black burst all around, and the back will be all black, matching head

so.... what do you think about that ? anny other ideas then that? I've been thinking about that for alot of time now

thanks

edit: adding a picture

Last edited by xXavengerXx at Oct 24, 2009,
lol ummmm... telecasters aren't meant to look metal... IMO looks like you're combining Alexi's hot pink V with a telecaster

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
woah. Good luck bro, that looks like an awesome guitar. Dunno if it'll sound too good though
"You have brains in your head,
You have feet in your shoes,
You can steer yourself,
any direction you choose,
You're on your own,
And you know what you know,
And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go."

- Dr. Seuss
Looks good, but red binging might look tacky.
Also, try a different headstock, that one looks bleh.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
yeah, i'm not sure for the headstock... but I don't want the telecaster shape, but didn't find a head that was looking good with the shape of the body....

what do you think about the spects?

I was thinking of just doing a solid body, with paint all white, with MOP inlays, paraloid pickguard....

what should I do ?
get a black figured pickguard. By figured, i mean like just not plain black, wether you want some cool black swirl or something on it, i dunno. Check out custom pick guard sites and the choices they have.

specs sound good, this is the exact kind of build i would do.

i would vote for the gotoh, everyone loves 'em, including me.
I could care less for sustianers, so straight emgs, maybe with a booster and their eq control?

Just call me Bobby
Quote by mikeyElite

Quote by Invader Jim
yeah that could be cool...

but the reason I was thinkong about a flame maple pickguard, is because I don't want to hide the top, which may be flame maple, so I dreamed ( yeah, really a dream. XD ) about doing a pickguard out of maple, instead of a clear one.. cuz I really like the look of a pickguard on a tele. A telecaster is not a telecaster if it don't have a pickguard IMO

thanks for your advices on the parts, i needed somme opinions comming from poeple that have somme experience with all these parts, cuz where I live,, poeple don't know annything about guitar, they just play them :P
a flame maple would looks quite good actually. Wouldnt be that hard to make either.
Just call me Bobby
Quote by mikeyElite

Quote by Invader Jim
mate, i quite like the look, even though most people don't use teles for metal but then again look at Jim Root. you might want to take inspiration from his or something. As for the choice of emgs i would use a 85 in the neck and a 81 in the bridge. friend of mine has that setup and it sounds awesome. also use the 18 volt mod
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Cort AD350CE
Homemade Strat
Marshall 10CD
Behringer UV300

Dremel/Bandsaw Fund:
$0/$400
yeah. but one thing is sure, I will make a coupple out of scrap wood before don't wanna waste flame maple...

oh, somme questions like that.

what is the price that I should pay for...

mahogany ( wings )
maple neck blank big enough for a neck trough
a maple top ( maybe sommething like 2/3'' thick ?or what yould you reocmmend? )

cuz I dont want to overpay...
Quote by chrismetalhead
mate, i quite like the look, even though most people don't use teles for metal but then again look at Jim Root. you might want to take inspiration from his or something. As for the choice of emgs i would use a 85 in the neck and a 81 in the bridge. friend of mine has that setup and it sounds awesome. also use the 18 volt mod

I was thinking about a 81/85 too, I am a metal player who want a tele, with humbuckers and a floyd, so if I can make one... I can XD I laugh when poeple says that tele are not for metal, cuz It's not the common tele that I will be making

thanks for your advices
Quote by xXavengerXx
yeah. but one thing is sure, I will make a coupple out of scrap wood before don't wanna waste flame maple...

oh, somme questions like that.

what is the price that I should pay for...

mahogany ( wings )
maple neck blank big enough for a neck trough
a maple top ( maybe sommething like 2/3'' thick ?or what yould you reocmmend? )

cuz I dont want to overpay...

If your not doing any carving, get a 1/4" drop top.
Should run you about $30-40 for wings
$20-40 for maple neckthru blank
$30-50 for the top.

At least, that's what i pay for my wood at the lumberyard.
Just call me Bobby
Quote by mikeyElite

Quote by Invader Jim
FYI, it would be really really hard to make a semi hollow with an FR.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
FYI, it would be really really hard to make a semi hollow with an FR.

how comme ?
Quote by xXavengerXx
do you ship to Canada ? XD

Yup, as long as you pay the shipping

Pm me if your serious.
Just call me Bobby
Quote by mikeyElite

Quote by Invader Jim
thanks.

AND another question :P

since that's a one piece neck... should I put carbon fiber rods each side of the trust rod, just to make it even more stable ? or it's not worth it...
I mean you could, but i have done mahogany with a one piece maple blank before, and it was fine. Completely your choice. If your worried at all, put them in. Better safe then sorry.
Just call me Bobby
Quote by mikeyElite

Quote by Invader Jim
Quote by metalwarrior40
I mean you could, but i have done mahogany with a one piece maple blank before, and it was fine. Completely your choice. If your worried at all, put them in. Better safe then sorry.

I'm just scared that it will Wrap or sommething like that.. :S
this tele is a wall of badassery.

I was thinking all red with a black pickguard when I first saw the design, and a black floyd and knobs and plate. then I factored in the stained flame maple factor...

wow.

the burst might be really cool, I'm having problems picturing it.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by xXavengerXx
how comme ?

Well, there'd be nowhere to anchor the spring claw, for one, if it's the semi-hollow type I'm thinking of. Second, the studs wouldn't be stable in 1/4 inch of wood.
This is unrelated, but semihollows get tons of feedback with lots of gain.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
it's just going to be the top part if is't hollowed, I'll keep wood there for bridge and all that
tha hollow is just there to be light, since I'm not confortable whili gigging and practicing cuz of the guitar...

and if it's just a semi hollow... will it have feedback because of that ? I dont think annyway
you could always inlay a dark wood into the tribal shape, if you go against the semihollow thing.

and leaving it solid under the bridge helps.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by xXavengerXx
it's just going to be the top part if is't hollowed, I'll keep wood there for bridge and all that
tha hollow is just there to be light, since I'm not confortable whili gigging and practicing cuz of the guitar...

and if it's just a semi hollow... will it have feedback because of that ? I dont think annyway

Yes-provided the gain levels you use are above about AC/DC level.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You dont have time for this yet...lol gotta finish painting that Custom iceman shaped guitar...lol Jk.

I'm a say this, Instead of semi hollow you could do the chambering trick. Some Gibson Les Pauls are chambered to feel lighter but most people cant tell the difference in tone, and I'm not sure but I would guess it is less prone to feedback at higher gain than a semi hollow body. For the f-Hole or Tribal Hole I suppose you could chamber that specific spot... To give it the illusion that the whole thing is possibly hollow.

For a maple top if you do chambering or semi hollow go with 1/4"... if you are gonna make it solid body after some convincing and dont want maple to be the main tone wood you can go with 1/8".

For a Floyd rose my vote goes to the Gotoh, its seems to be one of the better Lic. ones out there and some people even claim it surpases the current Floyd Rose originals quality these days. the Schaller one is a lot of $$$ for what other locking trems already offer at a better price.

Tuners with a locking nut it isnt a huge deal that they be amazing locking tuners or anything, so the gotoh tuners would suffice.

as for a pickguard, I'm gonna say get clear so you can see the pretty red figured maple under it. But if you were not going to do the black burst I would say black figured maple.

I've always wanted to put a sustainiac or fernades sustainer in one of my guitars... but I like the neck pickups I have and I use my neck pickup often in all my guitars, and I dont think a sustainer/pickup would have the tone I want it to have in pickup mod... and the trade off of a nice neck sound for "forced infinite" sustain isnt worth it to me... Plus 9 Volts are expensive... Also you must note with a sustainer there is circut board and there needs to be room for this and in the picture with your current top routed control cavity it looks a little small to accomidate a sustainer circut board... So im a suggest rear raout the control cavity. Also im not sure if Active pickups and sustainers are compatable... if they are you may need 2 nine volts ... or if using one for both the EMG and Sustainer your looking at 9 volts dieing oh so often...lol

As for pickups you could go active, but im a say try some passives... just because... for me I like the Dimarzio Tone Zone, but I plan on making a build sometime with some P90 soapbars , or mini buckers... just for something different... I have no idea if I'll like it... but I'm sure I will be able to find a use for it. So you can stick with active EMGs... But trying something different can be satisfying and may compliment your tone... It might be just what your looking for.

I've never used carbon fiber rods, but if you want to be safe go for it... only major downside I see is they are just extra $$$ to the total cost.

Good luck.
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major
MXR phase 90, Pigtronix Echolution 2
Digitech Whammy (5th gen)

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
Definantly a good looking guitar Have you thought of a reverse strat neck on it or a regular strat neck with a cool engraving.
*lust list*
Vox tone lab
Vox ac50
satchurator
satches time machine
vintage phase 90
Money towards this gear = $0.00

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Yeah I dreamt I was fighting Master Hand, but then I woke up to realize I was jackin' it in my sleep.
thanks alot for all your comments. I'm thinking of all that right now, but i'm still not sure about somme little things. like the hollow.

but for the floyd, I'll get a gotoh cuz it seems to be the best one around, and gotoh tuners too.

Does the "pain in the *ss" of making a hollow will be worth it ? cuz I dont think that it will affect the sound with emgs. and it would cost a little bit more to do it that way, more then a normal guitar with no fancy top. and I will be saving time when it commes to the finishing.
Quote by metalwarrior40
Looks good, but red binging might look tacky.
Also, try a different headstock, that one looks bleh.

Use paula abalone heart istead? Or bronze MOP? Like this:

http://www.luthiersupply.com/blockfretinlaypage.html

I got my inlays from this guy - all was cool

Time on earth is like butterscotch; you really want more, even though it will probably just make you ill.

Certified lurker
Quote by xXavengerXx
thanks alot for all your comments. I'm thinking of all that right now, but i'm still not sure about somme little things. like the hollow.

but for the floyd, I'll get a gotoh cuz it seems to be the best one around, and gotoh tuners too.

Does the "pain in the *ss" of making a hollow will be worth it ? cuz I dont think that it will affect the sound with emgs. and it would cost a little bit more to do it that way, more then a normal guitar with no fancy top. and I will be saving time when it commes to the finishing.

Like some people have said already, high gain + hollow body = feedback. You're going to use EMG´s, so I bet you are going to play with alot of gain, wich means that making a hollow is not a good idea.
hm, I like the block with the " V " in it, mother of pearl figured with mother of pearl, or whatever it is :P could look really nice
Quote by Ometh
Like some people have said already, high gain + hollow body = feedback. You're going to use EMG´s, so I bet you are going to play with alot of gain, wich means that making a hollow is not a good idea.

ok, so after all theses feedback to not do it hollow, I'll do it solid body then, thanks for that !
*cough*f-holes through the body*cough*
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
Quote by blindsagacity

I agree, it would look pretty cool.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
I'm cockblocked regularly by my appearance and personality.
Looks pretty cool
Main Gear
Gibson Les Paul Custom Alpine White
Esp Eclipse-I CTM DPS w/18v Mod
PRS Custom 24 Angry Larry
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
Quote by blindsagacity

that could de f*king cool !
We've tried to convince so many people to do it on this forum but no one actually goes through with it. If you do it I will e-blow you.
Quote by Shinozoku

Quote by Scowmoo
Seriously.

Quote by blindsagacity
We've tried to convince so many people to do it on this forum but no one actually goes through with it. If you do it I will e-blow you.

I think I will do it, and since I'm always dressed in black, it will look cool cuz it's gonna be dark inside
Quote by Shinozoku

Quote by Scowmoo
Seriously.

Quote by xXavengerXx
hm, I like the block with the " V " in it, mother of pearl figured with mother of pearl, or whatever it is :P could look really nice

Good choice - its the one I went for. Being used on the build in my sig

Back on topic EDIT:
Why not inlay mirrors into the body in those areas? Thattad be cool.

Ar you could join the LED bandwagon.

And there allways fireworks

Time on earth is like butterscotch; you really want more, even though it will probably just make you ill.

Certified lurker
Last edited by IYanoplathizoI at Oct 25, 2009,
Page 1 of 3