And so I just found it quite interesting how my music genre preferences have changed over the years.

Before I started playing the guitar, I wasn't really into much music. We're talking when I was 14-15 years old. I'd listen to random bands music like AC/DC, Blink 182, The-All American Rejects, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Sum 41 and so forth...

Then I got my first guitar 6 years ago and I started playing Blink 182, AC/DC and my own music.

Then, I just changed and I have no idea how it happened. I had that 'Mathematics' moment where everything just starts making sense, from knowing nothing and then finally understanding and appreciating the science...and my band preferences changed...for the better.

The Beatles, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Pink Floyd, Jimi Hendrix, Queen, Guns N' Roses, Beach Boys, Bee Gees, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Duran Duran, Led Zepplin, Eric Clapton, Ozzy Osbourne (Randy Rhoads,) Simon and Garfunkel, ZZ Top, The Who, Rolling Stones, B.B. King et cetera. (I still listen to AC/DC and Red Hot Chili Peppers tho, with a few other modern bands like Muse...)

I shudder when I think back to my first couple of guitar lessons and wanting to learn the 'Blink 182 - Josie' intro.

I'm actually just an Old Rock, Hard Rock, Classic Rock and Blues kind of guy and thats the only music I'll ever listen too...I'm 21 years old today. Quite a change in 6 years, wouldn't you say? I get mocked for it by my friends though...They think 'Old School' music and laugh.

But then they mention their bands and I think to myself...not one of them are accomplished guitarists or contributed anything to the art of guitar playing...

So, tell me, how did you start with music and what become your calling or do you still listen to the same bands as you did before you started played guitar...?

Peace!
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Plus
Takamine G-115 Flamenco
Fender Blues Deluxe Amp
Fulltone Full-Drive 2 Mosfet
Zakk Wylde Signature Wah Pedal
H2O Liquid Chorus/Echo Pedal
MXR M108 10 Band EQ
I thinks your post belongs in the "How has playing guitar changed you" thread.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Well, I started off listening to Linkin Park, then got to where you are (classic rock and such) and now I'm starting to look at more Indie, and modern rock.
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
Honestly it doesn't sound like your taste has changed that much. You still listen to a lot of pop-oriented rock. Just older pop-oriented rock.
Last edited by pantera456 at Oct 24, 2009,
I'm starting to go backwards a little, actually. I started out listening to various Candyrat artists, Jeff Buckley, Jack Johnson, Muse, The Moody Blues, The Beatles, Hendrix, and various indie artists and bands (mostly folk or folk rock, but with several exceptions, including Minus The Bear and Cold War Kids).

I've recently realized I like several of Paramore's songs. Oh well, I'm not ashamed.
Last edited by i_don't_know at Oct 24, 2009,
Quote by floppypick
Well, I started off listening to Linkin Park, then got to where you are (classic rock and such) and now I'm starting to look at more Indie, and modern rock.

same
It's always the last day of summer and I've been left out in the cold with no door to get back in
Quote by G|_|itarGod
I used to like blink 182 and now i listen to teh cool rockz! please love me Peace!

fixed.
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
Quote by floppypick

I started liking rap then about 2 years ago started getting into bands like Linkin Park, now I can honestly say I'll listen to anything except country.
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by G|_|itarGod
and my band preferences changed...for the better.

The Beatles, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Pink Floyd, Jimi Hendrix, Queen, Guns N' Roses, Beach Boys, Bee Gees, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Duran Duran, Led Zepplin, Eric Clapton, Ozzy Osbourne (Randy Rhoads,) Simon and Garfunkel, ZZ Top, The Who, Rolling Stones, B.B. King et cetera. (I still listen to AC/DC and Red Hot Chili Peppers tho, with a few other modern bands like Muse...)

say what?
I think we took too many drugs when we were kids,
'cause now we like to make
Weird Music
-Wayne Coyne
Pop --> Pop-punk --> Classic rock --> Heavy Metal --> Contemporary metal --> ???? ---> Profit

I still listen to what I did when I was 11 years old. I wouldn't say my music taste has progressed, I'd say it's grown.
Quote by metaldud536
This.

"Zomg Linkin Parks is not contributes to muzik LOL. listen 2 old stuff liek beatlez"

Not once did he say anything horribly rude about the bands, so I don't see what you guys are getting all worked up about and I must agree with him that his musical taste did mature over time..
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

Quote by G|_|itarGod
But then they mention their bands and I think to myself...not one of them are accomplished guitarists or contributed anything to the art of guitar playing...
Peace!

okay. you sound awfully stuck up.
Last edited by pepsi1187 at Oct 24, 2009,
Quote by JAHellraiser
I started liking rap then about 2 years ago started getting into bands like Linkin Park, now I can honestly say I'll listen to anything except country.

I used to not like country.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lhf9U5Wf3Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcVku6bFe-U
then I heard good country.
Weird Music
-Wayne Coyne
I listen to a nice wide range of music, and I couldn't give a toss if it's new or old, cool or uncool, guitar based or not.

Seriously, if you get hung up about things such as "not one of them are accomplished guitarists or contributed anything to the art of guitar playing...", then your music tastes (and therefore possibly you guitar skills) won't progress...
Quote by i_don't_know
I don't even consider Johnny Cash to be what we know as country nowadays. He was in a league of his own. Now all we have is this country-pop BS.

exactly
Weird Music
-Wayne Coyne
Quote by floppypick
Not once did he say anything horribly rude about the bands, so I don't see what you guys are getting all worked up about and I must agree with him that his musical taste did mature over time..

I know he didn't. I summed up his post in that statement which is what his OP sounded like. Elitist.

"But then they mention their bands and I think to myself...not one of them are accomplished guitarists or contributed anything to the art of guitar playing..."
Elitist much?
Quote by metaldud536
I know he didn't. I summed up his post in that statement which is what his OP sounded like. Elitist.

"But then they mention their bands and I think to myself...not one of them are accomplished guitarists or contributed anything to the art of guitar playing..."
Elitist much?

Well, he's not saying they suck, and does have a point... but I do see where you're coming from.

Really doesn't matter though, just his opinion.
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

I did say, "I think to myself..." - I don't openly say anything to anyone...I get mocked for my taste in music, so I have the right to at least think what I want.
Takamine G-115 Flamenco
Fender Blues Deluxe Amp
MXR M108 10 Band EQ
Quote by G|_|itarGod
I did say, "I think to myself..." - I don't openly say anything to anyone...I get mocked for my taste in music, so I have the right to at least think what I want.

And so do I. I found your opinion on what you think about your friend's musical tastes as elitist. So I pointed it out. Whachoo gonna do about it?
I'm going to point out to your nickname...You're criticising me cause I don't listen to metal.
Takamine G-115 Flamenco
Fender Blues Deluxe Amp
MXR M108 10 Band EQ
Quote by The Madcap
So, you progressed from one kinda rock to another in 6 years?

like /10
I haven't really noticed much of a difference in my taste of music because of me playing guitar. A lot of it has instead come from me maturing and searching for different bands. If anything, I'm a lot more into electronic music then I was before I started playing guitar.
I'm a MAN!
Quote by floppypick

Eh, I wasn't getting worked up at all, I just felt the need to point out how statements like

make one sound like a prick.
-