Hello everyone. I just bought a Seymour Duncan hotrails pu for the bridge of my Mexican strat. I hooked it up the way the instructions said and the hum from the bridge position is gone Yay! only problem is that now there's a hum in the second setting (bridge/mid) where there shouldn't be. Can anyone help me?
"We have no dreams at all or interesting ones. We should learn to be awake in the same way: Not at all or in an interesting manner."
Don't use that setting...

Ah, I love that joke, no matter how old it is.

What kind of hum is it? Might be a ground problem. Might be a polarizing or out of phase problem. Around what freq. is the hum?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
That will happen. They way it worked in the original configuration was the single coils of the bridge and mid pu were wired in opposite directions, so they offset to eliminate hum. Now that you have two coils in the bridge position they no longer balance each other, so your second position will hum.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
I don't think i have any equipment capable of determining the frequency of the hum bro.

How would i determine whether it was a ground issue or polarizing or out of phaze or none of the above? and if it was of the above what would i do about it?
"We have no dreams at all or interesting ones. We should learn to be awake in the same way: Not at all or in an interesting manner."
Quote by gwitersnamps
That will happen. They way it worked in the original configuration was the single coils of the bridge and mid pu were wired in opposite directions, so they offset to eliminate hum. Now that you have two coils in the bridge position they no longer balance each other, so your second position will hum.

I agree.
Ohh. So is there anything i can do about that?
Quote by Robinsonero
I don't think i have any equipment capable of determining the frequency of the hum bro.

That's not true, man. Your ear. It's a great piece of equipment. Of course, you need to learn to differentiate, but it's just like learning the difference between musical notes.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
If it has four cables, you can coil split it.
I have a ponytail fetish.
..And a labcoat fetish. SCIENCE!
Quote by Robinsonero
Ohh. So is there anything i can do about that?

Buy stacked/lace sensor/emg/noiseless pickups for the rest of your positions.
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Quote by AntiG3
If it has four cables, you can coil split it.

What exactly does that entail?
Quote by Robinsonero
What exactly does that entail?

Imagine an actual humbucker. Splitting the coils would give you either the top or bottom coil depending on how you wired it.

If the pickup has 4 wires the other two can be used to split the Hot Rails at the 4th position and use the whole pickup in the 5th.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
Imagine an actual humbucker. Splitting the coils would give you either the top or bottom coil depending on how you wired it.

If the pickup has 4 wires the other two can be used to split the Hot Rails at the 4th position and use the whole pickup in the 5th.

thanks bro.
Last edited by Robinsonero at Oct 25, 2009,
Would i attach those wires to the pickup selector and the volume pot respectively? or do i need some fancy shmancy switch? the instructions for the pu had a little digram about coil splitting but it had some wierd six pronged box shown and i was completly lost.
Quote by Robinsonero
Would i attach those wires to the pickup selector and the volume pot respectively? or do i need some fancy shmancy switch? the instructions for the pu had a little digram about coil splitting but it had some wierd six pronged box shown and i was completly lost.
The box in the diagram is probably the switch.
Quote by Robinsonero

There is a cool Wiring Only Thread in GBnC that I would suggest you read through. It will help a lot. It is probably on page 1 or 2. What kind of solder iron do you have?
The thing is that I think you need a switch with 5 contacts (a super switch) if you want 4 to have coil split and 5 to be the full humbucker.

A stock strat would have a switch with 3 contacts (with 2 & 4 being connected to two contacts next to it).