Hi all

I am looking to buy a new 6 string guitar and am wondering what the lovely people of UG would suggest. I play and love metal so keep that in mind. I have a budget of €1000/$1500, I live in europe and guitars are more expensive here so if you live in the USA the budget is around $1200.

Ok, now to get into a bit more detail. The following is what i would prefer but I am open to discussion on any change. I love all genres of metal. I find the black metal renaissance style picking songs fun to play but my main priority is heavy riffing and shredding. I was thinking active pu, my first choice would have to be Seymour Duncan Blackouts but I also like EMGs. I hope for a guitar with a tremolo, my first choice is definitly kahler(keep this in mind) but i would settle for a OFR. Body shape does not concern me too much. Oh, and ebony fretboard would be a nice touch too .

The brands I have in mind are something along the line of ESP/Jackson/Ibanez but if it has what I want and I like it any brand will do.

The guitars I am considering so far are:

ESP LTD JH-600 - This is top of my list so far. Almost bought it the other day. It is a signature model which I am not too happy about (bringing up the price) but it is almost exacting what I want. My only other slight problem with it is that it has EMGs not Blackouts. What brings me to this guitar is the Kahler, other than that it is your standard superstrat.

Schecter Blackjach ATX C-1 - This is another possibility. Its really the Blackout p.u. that attracted me towards this guitar. My only worry about this guitar is that i have heard the neck is quite chuncky, along the lines of Les Paul chuncky and im looking for a thin neck. Oh ye and also the OFR instead of a Kahler

BC Rich Kerry King Signature Wartribe - Another Slayer guitar. Its not that im a huge fan of theirs, its our shared love of Kahlers, which this guitar has. The PA2 preamp is a nice feature on this guitar and like with the other two guitars the ebony fretboard. The price is also nice too. The problem with this guitar is I have a few to many problems with it, there mostly small but they add up. Once again it is a signature, The scale length is only 24 5/8” and I would prefer 25.5, I have heard that the headstock is a bit flimsy, EMGs instead of Blackouts and I just think it looks a bit gimmicky.

We come to the end of this lengthly post and I applaud you if you have made it . As you can see I know what I like, I do welcome any suggestions so don't feet too limited by what I have specified and if you have any reason to stray me away from a certain spec I would be happy to hear why.

Thank you for your time and I do hope that this post helps others as well as me. I look forward to hearing from all of you.

-IamSatai
Last edited by IamSatai at Oct 24, 2009,
personally... i think you'd be best off with the schecter blackjack ATX c-1.. it's an awesome guitar.. i play a schecter damien and i don't find the neck to chunky.. when i went from a washburn to schecter i didn't even notice a change...
Don't pick a guitar because of the pickups. They're easy to replace. You can't expect that a guitar will have you're perfect pickups since there are hundreds of different pickups that all have different qualities that may be desirable or not. The Kahler is going to be the hardest to find. They don't come on many guitars. But with that budget, you might be able to get MIJ ESPs and Ibanezes which will be a lot higher quality than the ones you listed. I would go with one of those over a lower quality guitar with a trem you like.
Thanks for the replies so far.

MetalGuitarest - Do you know the specs of the Schecter Blackjach ATX C-1

JELIFISH19 - ESP is out of my price range by quite a bit in Europe(where I live), unless I was to go for a second hand one.

IronMaiden76 - Kahler are quite different to Floyds the only real similarity is that they are both tremolos.
emgs are better than blackouts imo blackouts have more natural tone but theyre muddy and i personally hate muddy tone but hey thats your call i just think emgs are the best in terms of active pups
Quote by Ikey
im no fred flintstone but i can sure make the bed rock

MY GEAR!

Epiphone Futura Custom EX
Randall RG75DG3 Combo Amp
MXR 10-Band EQ
Oscar Schmidt OG10CEN

howya doin
Thanks wolfman that is something to consider. I don't get much of a chance to try out active p.u. because the guitar shops in Ireland only really stock Fenders and Gibsons. One or two places stock Jacksons but thats about it.
Quote by IamSatai
Thanks wolfman that is something to consider. I don't get much of a chance to try out active p.u. because the guitar shops in Ireland only really stock Fenders and Gibsons. One or two places stock Jacksons but thats about it.

take it from a guy who owns a guitar with emg's and has played a few guitars with blackouts

some people like the tone they get from blackouts but ive always found the tone muddy, youd have to try them both out and find which one you like better before you could be completely sure what you want, but seeing your situation i doubt thats an option

you could always get a guitar with blackouts and if you dont like it send it back and get one with emgs and if you dont like that one send it back, thats an easy way to tell of course you might not like blackouts OR emgs but i can tell you right now emg's wont disappoint easily but some people just arent for actives

you just gotta find what you like, thats the most important thing in guitar/amp purchasing and in music in general
Quote by Ikey

MY GEAR!

MXR 10-Band EQ
Oscar Schmidt OG10CEN

howya doin
Quote by wolfeman85
take it from a guy who owns a guitar with emg's and has played a few guitars with blackouts

some people like the tone they get from blackouts but ive always found the tone muddy, youd have to try them both out and find which one you like better before you could be completely sure what you want, but seeing your situation i doubt thats an option

you could always get a guitar with blackouts and if you dont like it send it back and get one with emgs and if you dont like that one send it back, thats an easy way to tell of course you might not like blackouts OR emgs but i can tell you right now emg's wont disappoint easily but some people just arent for actives

you just gotta find what you like, thats the most important thing in guitar/amp purchasing and in music in general

Thanks again, I feel much more at ease about EMGs compared to Blackouts now, that will no longer be a worry to me. I have only been able to hear them compared throught youtube videos and sound samples; so it was almost a guess as much as a informed choice.
Quote by IamSatai
Thanks again, I feel much more at ease about EMGs compared to Blackouts now, that will no longer be a worry to me. I have only been able to hear them compared throught youtube videos and sound samples; so it was almost a guess as much as a informed choice.

something to keep in mind when using emgs (or any active pickups for that matter), they drive solid state amps like crazy and it makes a lot of breakup that can get quite annoying (at least, it annoys me ) and they sound so much better and more natural through a good tube amp, i mean if all you have is a solid state then the emg's will still deliver, youll just love the tone so much more with a tube amp
Quote by Ikey

MY GEAR!

MXR 10-Band EQ
Oscar Schmidt OG10CEN

howya doin
Quote by wolfeman85
something to keep in mind when using emgs (or any active pickups for that matter), they drive solid state amps like crazy and it makes a lot of breakup that can get quite annoying (at least, it annoys me ) and they sound so much better and more natural through a good tube amp, i mean if all you have is a solid state then the emg's will still deliver, youll just love the tone so much more with a tube amp

Hmm, never knew that. Thanks for all this valuable information.
Ibanez S prestige and swap out the pickups. In fact, since you're swapping pickups, you could save the dough and get a higher end S and swap out the pickups, there's not really any difference, and the ZR/Edge Zero Trem is awesome.
Ibanez Saber Series Owner!

Don't jump on the bandwagon, Line 6 Spider III's Aren't that bad!

B.U.C.K.E.T.H.E.A.D.

Quote by kirkwannabe

You, goonerbynature, win teh internetz.

Quote by b4t3man

Gold.

Quote by whitenihilist

Quote by IamSatai
Hmm, never knew that. Thanks for all this valuable information.

not a problem im just glad i can help someone out with their emg questions cause i bought my futura knowing next to nothing about the emgs in it, now id say i know almost everything about them

and you might hear people complain about how you need the 9 volt battery to power them, you dont need to change it often at all, i havent needed to change mine yet and ive owned my futura for going on 3 months, and when you do need to change it it's quite easy (at least on my guitar) the 9 volt sits in a compartment in the back and all i have to do is open the compartment, take 9 volt out, put new 9 volt in, close compartment and im done. i dont know if thats special to my guitar or if its like that on all emg-equipped guitars but its a lot easier than people make it out to be, at least for me
Quote by Ikey

MY GEAR!

MXR 10-Band EQ
Oscar Schmidt OG10CEN

howya doin
Quote by goonerbynature
Ibanez S prestige and swap out the pickups. In fact, since you're swapping pickups, you could save the dough and get a higher end S and swap out the pickups, there's not really any difference, and the ZR/Edge Zero Trem is awesome.

Hmm, thats an idea but the S prestiges are over my budget by about €400. Ill give that one a think.
Quote by IamSatai
Hmm, thats an idea but the S prestiges are over my budget by about €400. Ill give that one a think.

How about

http://www.sweetwater.com/guitargallery/electric/all/s211P01090115584/

I have the quilted maple version of this, the S620EXQM, playability beats just about any guitar I've played, it's light, and the neck is incredibly thin.
This one has the stock Ibanez Infinity humbuckers, I think, whereas mine came with Designed by EMG(decent for stock, but nothing to write home about), but you'll be saving enough money to buy some awesome pickups. She'll sing with Blackouts!
Ibanez Saber Series Owner!

Don't jump on the bandwagon, Line 6 Spider III's Aren't that bad!

B.U.C.K.E.T.H.E.A.D.

Quote by kirkwannabe

You, goonerbynature, win teh internetz.

Quote by b4t3man

Gold.

Quote by whitenihilist

I'm gonna be an odd one out here.

Ibanez Xiphos with Dimarzio X2N and Tone Zone. Done.

The X2N has a FAR beefier tone than any Active will get you IMO.
Quote by Themadisraeli

I was looking at the Xiphos. Anyone Know what the DiMarzio DiActivator humbuckers are like?
D-activators are very punchy and very attack oriented but they didn't have quite enough output for my taste, but that's me.
Get the Blackjack ATX. I have one and I love it.
Lots of people prefer Blackouts to EMG's because of the more Natural, Living and Organic sound of Blackouts as opposed to the Sterile, Compressed sound of EMG's. A lot of people I know who have been playing for more than 15 years and own EMG equipped guitars prefer the Blackouts on my Schecter. They are brilliant pups.
The neck joint is a set-neck with Ultra Access giving it the feel of a neck-through. The Neck is really smooth and I don't find it thick at all. It feels very comfortable to me and awesome for shredding and riffing. The fretboard is Ebony and the body is Mahogany. It has an OFR and looks sexy as hell. Go for it.
Quote by Themadisraeli

Though I wouldn't put a tone zone in the neck (but I guess it'll work with the X2N)

And D-activators:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFY6OgKIdTo

Not the best review ever, but it gives a rough idea (samples on the DiMarzio website might be better)

But I think that most of the guitars named here are very good indeed
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
Last edited by Slicer666 at Oct 26, 2009,
Quote by Helion786
The peavey PXD series Sounds good Except for The emgs but they can be easily changed to Blackouts if you prefer
Peaveys Specs
http://www.peavey.com/products/pxd/index.cfm
A review
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8iLYb10UVw
The Cab Wasnt miked to well And therefore it sounds a little far off in the distance

Ye I was looking at the peavey PXD series, I like the fact that some of the higher end models have kahlers. I do have problems with them though, the 24.75" scale, the set-neck and also i don't really like the look of them. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Quote by Slicer666
Though I wouldn't put a tone zone in the neck (but I guess it'll work with the X2N)

Why not? It works perfectly fine and sounds pretty good and I'm sure with an amp that can do cleans it would be able to sparkle and pop.
Quote by IamSatai

IronMaiden76 - Kahler are quite different to Floyds the only real similarity is that they are both tremolos.

no bro, all im sayin is theyre both floating trems with locking headnut...