I've been wondering about this for some time: what is more important to fingertapping: the amp or the guitar? Also, would a compression/sustain pedal help? Thanks,

virx67
The guitar makes music. The man makes the guitar.

Gear:
Epiphone Junior
Crate GX-15
Deltalab chorus pedal

Money sucks.
The most important thing is building a solid technique so you don't have to worry about whether it will come through the speakers.
Quote by blue_strat
The most important thing is building a solid technique so you don't have to worry about whether it will come through the speakers.

+1
^ this and imo having a decent guitar helps at well, some guitars (cheaper ones, is seems) are just hard to tap on.
According to wiki FAP really stands for familial adenomatous polyposis, a type of colon cancer.
--------------
Ibanez SZ720
Randall RG75D
--------------
Me Playing Stuff: Here
Thanks for the info.

Gear:
Epiphone Junior
Crate GX-15
Deltalab chorus pedal

Money sucks.
I can do it without an amp and I have a pretty crappy guitar so I guess it's all about technique
K. Then can anyone give me some tips on how to improve my technique/the proper way to fingertap?

Gear:
Epiphone Junior
Crate GX-15
Deltalab chorus pedal

Money sucks.
It's easier to tap with a shorter-scale instrument, like a Gibson, than it is with a longer-scale guitar, such as a Fender...
I have a epiphone junior, so I'm not sure whether it's a shorter scale or what.

Gear:
Epiphone Junior
Crate GX-15
Deltalab chorus pedal

Money sucks.
The pickups help a lot. A good quality set of humbuckers makes the notes sound more pronounced than a single coil equipt guitar. Try Midnight from Joe Satriani and then you can move on to Van Halen etc.
Ibanez 540S, Randall RG50TC, Blackstar HT-DISTX, Ibanez TS-808
Quote by WantzChas
The pickups help a lot. A good quality set of humbuckers makes the notes sound more pronounced than a single coil equipt guitar. Try Midnight from Joe Satriani and then you can move on to Van Halen etc.

Wat??
Quote by diminishedtobme
Wat??

Yeah that guy is confused, try All Blues by Stanley Jordan, then satch, then Van Halen.

Quote by IronMaiden76
It's easier to tap with a shorter-scale instrument, like a Gibson, than it is with a longer-scale guitar, such as a Fender...

I disagree, it's easier to tap with more space between frets.

A low action and some compression helps with tapping, so you should practice with a higher action and a higher gauge string than normal.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
imo you just need to nail the technique, just keep playing a simple lick until you get it then keep playing that lick until you`ve mastered it.......

try the tapping lick fom metallica`s one (it doesn`t get much simpler)
The tapping in Eruption is pretty straightforward too, you could work on that part. Also the tapping in Ride the Lightning.
Gear List:
Yamaha SJ-180 Steel String Acoustic
2008 Ibanez S520
Peavey 6505+ 112 Combo
Peavey Vypyr 15W

Call me Erk.
Obviously good technique will benefit you the most, but having a good setup will also make it much easier for you to learn good technique.
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
1994 Jackson Soloist XL Professional
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V
2003 Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15
Thanks for the info. Technique is important, but I also think the axe you are playing is just as important.

Gear:
Epiphone Junior
Crate GX-15
Deltalab chorus pedal

Money sucks.
When I first started tapping, I made the mistake of just hitting the string up and down with my tapping finger, not doing a 'pulling off' motion. What I am trying to say, is that instead of just hitting the string with your finger, hit it and bring it off on the side of the string, kind of like you were plucking it. It is hard to explain but just look up some stuff on tapping online and watch videos, focus on what the tapping finger is doing.
Guitar:
Jackson DX10D Dinky
Ibanez Tone Blaster 150w head
Line Six 4x12 cab
Marshall MG10CD
Dunlop Crybaby from Hell

Bass:
Ibanez ATK
Random ass EQ thing that's not even a real bass amp
1x18 2x10 cab
Watched a couple of video's on youtube. My technique still needs work, but i can successfully (more or less) fingertap now. Thanks for all the help, everyone.

Gear:
Epiphone Junior
Crate GX-15
Deltalab chorus pedal

Money sucks.
Quote by blue_strat

indeed, if you learn the proper technique, you can tap even with an acoustic guitar
I've done that a bit, unplugged my electric and messed around that way.

Gear:
Epiphone Junior
Crate GX-15
Deltalab chorus pedal

Money sucks.