Ok, I hope I put this in the right forum...

So I play bass and I am in a band and now that that's explained...

My singer is AMAZING. She has been in chorus for several years, and now she has found herself as the lead singer of a punk rock band. The problem is that she is very used to singing fluid, gracefull chorus type songs, and now she needs to sing a more broken vocal found in rock and punk. She loves rock music, so it isn't a completely alien style to her but she just tries to sing songs like Ignorance (Paramore) and When I Come Around (Greenday) in the very fluid, gracefull (chorus like) style she's used to.

Any suggestions on how to break this habit?
Articles/Videos/Lessons I can have her look at?
John 3:16 = Truth

Sight reading tableture = Guitar Hero for real guitarists
Well you could just let her do it, the unique style might make your band a little more memorable.

Or you could have her sing along and imitate songs that have the same style of singing you want her to sound like.

Edit: This probably belongs in the "Singing" thread BTW
ericarceneaux on youtube has a video on youtube called something like "3 reasons for a weak singing voice" and in one part he explains how to give your voice an edgy "rock" sound. He uses SOAD to demonstrate it.

It really just comes down to sharpening your pronunciation of vowels, from what I understand.
You could always try to seeing if you could make her current style fit in with the music, Jon Anderson from Yes always had a graceful voice but they could still rock hard (the fact that they had lots of harmony vocals helped too). I would recommend asking in the vocal forum though if you think she needs to sing in a different style.
Let her sing the way she does, and put your style of playing on top of it to create an awesome band that stands out

What if they told Dio to stop singing like he's in choir?
My singer has that, too. We just did some recording and the producer was having her enunciate syllables more than she is used to. Concentrate on that. Make the beginning and end of words clear. Check out the style of Maynard Keenan (when he's singing, not screaming) for an example of both clear and fluid vocals.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
I say work with your strengths. I'd make music that compliments her voice.
There is a war going on for your mind.

If you are thinking, you are winning.

Resistance is victory.

We are building up a new world.
Do not sit idly by.
Quote by Zoot Allures
It's her voice, don't try to make her sound generic and fade into obscurity.. why does everything in music have to become so homogenised nowdays? ¬_¬

The problem is it can make it VERY difficult to make out the lyrics.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
Quote by Bandit Eagle

Edit: This probably belongs in the "Singing" thread BTW

Haha. Sorry, I looked and didn't see one

btw. Thanks everyone for the opinions. Now that I think about it, it might be cool to have her sing that style on top of the heavier music

Hey, it worked for Lacuna Coil and Nightwish.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.