Page 1 of 2
So their was supposedly a "rivalry" between the Norwegian Black Metal and Swedish Death Metal scenes back in the day.

Anyway, i wanted to see if their is still a rivalry between the two genres.

I personally like Black metal. Bands like Burzum, Immortal, Emperor and Mayhem are amazing with their signature bad production quality. Then their is Drottnar(christian black metal lol) and Behemoth with great production value that are great too.(yes Behemoth is Blackened Death but i get more Black out of it, maybe its just me). Plus the black metal genres history is extremely interesting with accusations of satanism, church burning, and murder(ooh my).

Death metal is just bleh to me. The vocals aren't good to me, and its too much straight noise. There really is no variance in songs. But, it wouldn't be bad if it weren't for the shitty vocals that most DM bands have(even the great Cannibal Corpse has shitty vocals although awesome bass). And don't say that you can get past the vocals as death metal vocalists tend to mix it very far ahead in the song. And the history of the scene is pretty boring.

Anyway what is your thoughts on the different genres and the supposed rivalries within the extreme metal genre
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"
Rivalries can go suck my hole - absolute rockstar crap. If you dont hear variance in death metal songs, then you really havent heard a lot of death metal. What was the point of your thread again?
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
It can be hard to differentiate between such as bands as Varathron and Kawir who were considered first wave of black metal, meaning having really low gutteral deep growls.

But I mean, that's a only a fools way. I still call them death metal regardless, despite Kawir having those estranged Gollum vocals on Artemis.
Quote by Stranglehold
Rivalries can go suck my hole - absolute rockstar crap. If you dont hear variance in death metal songs, then you really havent heard a lot of death metal. What was the point of your thread again?

ok its a "supposed" rivalry. Not like East Coast vs. West Coast shit
You don't know much about death metal.

Since when did scene history matter at all when you're listening to music, anyway?
I can take a road that'll see me through.
People who generally only listen to well-known black metal bands and nothing else turn out to be world of warcraft enthusiasts.

EDIT: Ok these threads are exactly the type of thing I really hate about black metal 'fans'. People who download the albums of the big black metal bands, wikipedia the church burnings and all that shit, and then disregard other genres of metal with less controversial backgrounds.
Quote by Ultraussie

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
Last edited by Stranglehold at Oct 24, 2009,
Quote by Stranglehold

Thank you for posting my immediate thoughts.

The "rivalry" was a bunch of kids making something of nothing which impacted the "scene" in absolutely no way.

It might as well not even have existed.

Also way to be an internet metal fan thread starter.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
Quote by Stranglehold
People who generally only listen to well-known black metal bands and nothing else turn out to be world of warcraft enthusiasts.

We need to hang out.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
And play WoW together? Please say yes!
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested
Quote by Stranglehold

EDIT: Ok these threads are exactly the type of thing I really hate about black metal 'fans'. People who download the albums of the big black metal bands, wikipedia the church burnings and all that shit, and then disregard other genres of metal with less controversial backgrounds.

Ok i don't listen to just the popular bands. In fact my first black metal band was very underground. I don't illegally download any of them. I buy them all which is very costly and no they aren't just popular bands. The church burnings were a major thing in the early '90s. You don't have to look at wikipedia to know that. The controversy is just interesting and it's not a defining thing. I added that just to say that it is interesting to see the history of different genres and how they affect the modern status of said genre.
His point is that you're ears listen to Metal with all the wrong reasons, intents, and purposes.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
The history of each genre doesnt really affect their status today, does it? - both genres are spewing out 90% crap and 10% brilliance, if you ask me.
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested
Sturgeon's Law
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
I prefer the early 90s Swedish scene over the 90s Black Metal scene, but nowadays the black metal coming out is far superior to the death metal.
Quote by VampireGoldfish
His point is that you're ears listen to Metal with all the wrong reasons, intents, and purposes.

What "wrong" reasons, intents, and purposes. I listen to black metal(as you should listen to any music) fully to enjoy the music. I don't understand the words half the time and i don't waste my time looking them up. The interesting part of the history is not about the music but about the musicians.
Black Metal isn't really about the music. It's about the atmosphere, which the music creates, heavily due to production.

Like it or not when I say this, but Black Metal relies more heavily on production to sound good than death metal does.
Quote by The Kreator
Black Metal isn't really about the music. It's about the atmosphere, which the music creates, heavily due to production.

Like it or not when I say this, but Black Metal relies more heavily on production to sound good than death metal does.

When i said music i mean atmosphere as well. The music as a whole and the feeling you get from it
Quote by The Kreator

Hurgh
blurgh
hwarf
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Little production values are still production values. If most black metal was polished, then it would mostly sound terrible.
Xasthur - Suicide in Dark Serenity

But, I mean...it could go either way. VG could just very well say Pure Holocaust. amirite?

Yeah I remember well.

Regardless...I enjoy both genres, including power metal. Still dislike a lot of folk metal though.
Quote by IronMaiden76
I like power metal, like Maiden and Sabbath

I can't tell if you're trolling or not. Seriously.
pretty sure if death metallers fought black metallers, the deathys would win, just because they're usually bigger. Unless of course we allow the use of weapons.

Besides, there's bands in both genres that sound the same to other bands in their genres..and it really bugs me sometimes..

As far as personally favourites go, I usually listen to more black than death, just because black metal usually includes more atmosphere, which I lurrvv. Death metal is more of a mood for me that comes every couple months, and hangs around for about a week.
Last edited by technicolour at Oct 24, 2009,
Quote by technicolour
Death metal is more of a mood for me that comes every couple months, and hangs around for about a week.

anybody else see it?
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
Quote by progbass

anybody else see it?

Someone's always late...
Ka pu te ruha ka hao te rangatahi.
Quote by progbass

anybody else see it?

awwwww shit good spot!

but it's true, death metal is like that for me, just without the emotional rollercoaster. Lots of blood though.
its what I do.

I can't listen to new-er-ish death metal though, save a select few bands. Old School is where its at.
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
BM, by far and away.

I like the material and content in black metal more. And BM really can be anything, which is another reason I love it. It's extremely diverse. [DM is too, but I think most metal genre's are more restricted, pin-pointed than BM]

And most dm just doesnt strike a chord with me. Death has genius riffs to no end, but then a lot bands just tend to bore me.
Grind > everything
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
lets see

Black Metal: Famous for controversy, not for the actual music, exaggerated shows, unintelligible guitars, bad production quality

Death Metal: Good production, known for music rather than controversy, unexaggerated shows, amazing riffs, solos.

most BM riffs, if played with good sounds, are pure crap

thats just my opinion though
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
SCHECTER JEFF LOOMIS C7 FR
i know im so retarded for not being as kvlt as u are

hail satan.....i pray for him to give me all the attention and friends i need
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
SCHECTER JEFF LOOMIS C7 FR
Right.

Because I hail Satan in solitude.

And you used the word "kvlt" in a serious context.

I stand by my insult.
Philosophy > Life
derr herr herr me iz so smart

i can roll my eyes via teh internetz

LOOK AT THEM

LOOK AT THEM ROLL

AT YOU
Philosophy > Life
Page 1 of 2