I have a crate and a gibson and I move my stuff around fairly often to go to a friends place and jam, one time I got there and I just couldnt get the right sound out of anything, it almost sounded like all my bass was sucked out of my amp. I used the distortion channel on the amp and sounded different, plugged in a distortion pedal it sounded completely different and horrible, I don't understand it. I thought it had to be the amp then I plugged my guitar and pedal in a different amp and got a pretty bland sound wich was pretty much the same, which lead to think I guess it's the guitar? I have no idea at all.
What amp is it? What pickups are in your gibson, if they are active you may need to change the battery, but I doubt its active.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
What you dont know is your freind hit your amp really hard with a hammer when you wernt looking...

But seriously...
Heres some possiblities...
- If you have a tube amp it could be something to do with the tubes. Or it may just be acting odd for the day. Sometimes I find my 6505+ not quite sounding the same as it did moments ago.
- The amp may be pointed directly at you rather than you being on top or beside the amp. When the sound travels directly at you from a speaker it sounds like there is less bass and more treble. When you stand away from where the speaker is pointing it sounds bassyer.
- As JoePerry4Life said it maybe your pickups if they are active.
- It could be your positioning in the room or the rooms itself. Sometimes when you put your amp in a different place in a room the amp will react differently with the walls. Some times it will create bass nodes (making the bass sound stronger) or Anti nodes (kills your bass responce)
-You may be playing at a louder volume than usual and your treble frequencies distort more and cut through the noise and mix of the jam session thus being more noticable than the bass.
-Your friend may have a lot of bass on his amp, and when you both play at the same time his amps bass frequencies are being pushed harder or a bit louder therefore drown out your bassyer tone. A lot of people seem to think that their tone when playing by themselves and playing with others will sound the same. It basically is, but some of it is unoticed because they are drowned out by other instruments covering those frquencies.
- It could be the guitar, however i find this odd because its not often a guitar will just go and instantly change its sound, unless you have actives... If it is very thin sounding perhaps your wires on the pickups or pot are starting to detach or break. Your pot could also be broken.
- For the first time in your life you may have turned the volume or tone knob all the way up on your guitar. Or you are using the opposite pickup of what you always thought you were using...
- Im not sure if this would yeild this result but maybe your amp has a bown speaker?
- And now my final idea, which is somtimes the worst of all...You may have just broke in your ear and have become a picky guitarist like oh so many of us, now you will have severe GAS and will want all the newest or oldest extremely expensive gear that you can only dream of having, and by the time you save up and do get it you realize you want more things but do not have sufficent funds for them...

If its none of those that basically leaves you with an actual amp or guitar problem that is causing your gear not to work properly... which could be anything...
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major
MXR phase 90, Pigtronix Echolution 2
Digitech Whammy (5th gen)

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
How would it sound if the battery was dieing and how could I change it? I have had it for a couple years and never had a problem like this.
"dying" not "dieing"

Also your pickups are passives, so there are no pickup batteries to worry about.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Then I'm stuck, it sounds like that whereever I put the amp and it's not my ear it's very clearly different.
Like Ethanb said, mess with your volume and tone knobs on your guitar and pedals. If that doesn't work, mess with the tone knobs on your amp, if that doesn't work, look up some factory recommended settings online and go from there. It could be anything.
I hate my sig
ummm....try the cables. switch out all the cables - gtr to effects, effects to amp, and while you're at it, check the in/out jacks on gtr/amp/eff and make sure that none of them are loose. a half-shorted cable or patch cord can do exactly the sort of thing you describe.
---
Only assholes vote Republican.
---
1988 Gibson SG Deluxe
1975 Hiwatt DR103
Carvin X100B
There are a lot of things that can affect your tone:

- Placement of an amp in a room. Your amp may sound good where it is but move it a couple feet and its going to sound different.

- Your position in relation to the amp. Your ears will perceive your tone differently depending on the angle you are to your amp.

- EQ'ing: sometimes when moving gear around your knobs get bumped and mess your settings up. Depending on how touchy your EQ is it could be very hard to get the exact same tone back (i.e. Mesa's are good examples of this).

- Volume: Different frequencies are more prominent at different volumes. So while you may have all of your EQ settings set exactly the same, you're tone will change depending on where the volume is set.