I got this FREE electric guitar off some dude today, and I have no idea anything about it. It has "Kingston" brand logo on the headstock. Here's what I know about it:

I know it's real old (1960's?).
It's made in Japan (JAPAN is stamped on the back of the headstock).
It's a single pickup, solid body.

Supposedly Kingston was a named stamped on US imports of Japanese axes made by Teisco (or something like that) in the 1960's... I could be wrong... Does anyone know anything about it? Or maybe have seen this model before? It looks nothing like any other Kingston/Teisco guitars I've seen around the internet.

Here's a few pics:

EDIT: I forgot to mention, it has a pretty unique METAL pickguard (can't tell from the pics). I don't know why someone would want a metal pg, because the thing is scratched to hell... but it is pretty unique, however poorly planned that design flaw is.
Last edited by tigbot at Oct 24, 2009,
Looks like a Silvertone or Tesico. I could be wrong though, There are plenty of Japanese guitars out there.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
Quote by Zakk_Lp
How does it sound?

I have no idea! I'm away, and wont be home til Monday, and dont have access to an amp. Plus, its only got the E A D strings, so I won't know til i replace them with a cheap set. but even if it sounds like a dying cat in a trash can, it was free, right?

Quote by jneal1221
its a rare version of what are called pieces of shit

thank you, i knew that from the minute i picked it up... but how could I say no to such a prime example of the american love affair with cheap imported products?
I know I've seen it, I looked at this thread, opened it, saw the guitar, went "THAT'S A (something)"
Then approximately 1/16 of a second later, went "wait, what?"
Quote by silhouettica
Oh, DON'T use a knife. It cuts through your strings. I did that once, thinking, its the Low E, its invincible. Turns out, its not...

Quote by Kensai
Awesome
If this is a Kingston, then it was built by Teisco. I have a number of Teisco built guitars. Teisco built guitars under a variety of brand names - e.g. Audition, Checkmate, Heit, Norma, Silvertone, Duke, Fuji and Kingston. They definitely used chrome pickguards on some of their guitars.
Looks terrible to me. I mean, like a Teisco... yeah
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
its unboubtidly (or however you spell it) some sort of japanise tiesco.
they distrubuted under loads of names

it looks vintage dude, keep it safe...
Quote by jneal1221
its a rare version of what are called pieces of shit

and so are you, though I think we all wish you were in the 'extinct' catagory.
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.