venues
If a mortal stands before us
Strike him down with sleight of hand.
And if heaven rides against us
Then God himself must be damned.

Computer Science major! Apple enthusiast!
I wear Vibrams and type with Dvorak!
Well, I live in Edmonton, Alberta, so yeah. I don't know if there are many people from around here on this site, but yeah. I don't really need specific places, just kinds of venues that will take kids under 18. We did play at the opening night at a coffee house once, but that's not really our music style.
Something small. Boys and Girls clubs even. My first band started out with that, then got venues, then got bars, and so forth.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
If I was in your shoes I'd suggest looking for a Battle of the Bands, maybe a school talent show, (You could organize one for your school quite easily), play at your local church, (If you go to church, that is). Bars are going to be hard to get into when your 16, I feel that you'll have a hard time realting to a 21+ crowd unless your freaking kick ass, or you play a lot of main stream covers, (Nothing wrong with that).

Outdoor festivals, acoustic shows at Coffee Shops, Music Shops, so on and so on. What you could easily do, assuming that you have a PA, is hold an outdoor show for your friends on school grounds, your house, or a public park. Just get out there and have some fun.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
do you guys take music lessons? talk to your teachers about where you could play.
thats how my band got our first gig. we were the opening act for our teacher's band and there were at least 100 people in the audience

████████████████████

███████████████████████
███████████████████████

█████████████████████

███████████████████████

█████████████████████

█████████████████████

███████████████████

█████████████████████

████████████████████
I am from Lloydminster... so only a couple hours away...

I can look into it a little more for you, as we go to Edmonton quite a bit.

Anyways you only have 2 more years until bar age... (Canada WOOT) so it wont even be that long of a wait.
Quote by SKAtastic7770
Garages.

Fully. put up some posters around school. Tell your class they HAVE to come or you will never talk to them again. Post it all up on Myspace/facebook/UG. We've got HEAPS of people coming to our garage gigs!

Quote by speedy1330
do you guys take music lessons? talk to your teachers about where you could play.
thats how my band got our first gig. we were the opening act for our teacher's band and there were at least 100 people in the audience

This works. My guitar teacher once mentioned a concert his students at Uni were going to be in, and I nagged and nagged and nagged and nagged, and eventually I was slotted in too!

Busking is also AWESOME. It's another thing you can publicise and you also get a lot of great contacts and get to know the people around. The place we go busking at, there is a guy who will lend us batteries as long we return them fully charged within a week. He also lends us leads and things too.

We got a person come up to us and say we needed to up the mic on the horn because it wasn't loud enough in proportion to the guitar.

An old man gave us a big mat to put our stuff on which he now brings every Sunday.

We get people coming to us and asking us to play at their cafe and as opening acts for open-mic nights..

It's good pay too, if you're good enough!
Quote by GODhimself37
venues
Could you possibly be more vague?
How about places!

srsly, dude. go back to The Pit. your post is just spam.

Quote by CODE
google
nah, yah can't gig at google.

back to The Pit for you too.

Quote by littledude65
Well, I live in Edmonton, Alberta, so yeah. I don't know if there are many people from around here on this site, but yeah. I don't really need specific places, just kinds of venues that will take kids under 18. We did play at the opening night at a coffee house once, but that's not really our music style.
Yeah, you're gonna find that rock audiences don't tend to gravitate toward the average coffee house. But there are a few coffee houses that do feature rock bands, so you take what you can get.

Most school dances don't really want a rock band unless you can do some pop and old-school disco-funk as well. If your band is willing to expand in those areas, you might be able to break into that market. It's a tough one to crack though. DJs have pretty much taken over.

For rock, your mostly looking at shows. Battle of the bands or a concert setting. Some schools do these, either in their gym or auditorium. Also, local service clubs like Kiwanis or the Lions Club or Key Club or JayCees will do these.

Probably the best contact you can make is in your local music store.
There will be a bulletin board where you can find out about upcoming events and post your own little ad for your band. And the owner of a store is often contacted by local merchants and clubs about bands they can contact for an event they're planning.

There's a reason why some of us pay a bit more for our gear at a local shop, rather than buy on-line. In addition to being able to simply walk in and buy what you need on-the-spot, try out new gear, and get proper service without shipping the merchandise across the country, you make valuable contacts. Both with the owner of the store, and with other musicians and people who wanna hire musicians. Even if you just buy a few picks or a set of strings every few weeks, a few moments chatting with the owner can pay HUGE dividends when it comes to landing gigs.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Could you possibly be more vague?
How about places!

srsly, dude. go back to The Pit. your post is just spam.

nah, yah can't gig at google.

back to The Pit for you too.

Yeah, you're gonna find that rock audiences don't tend to gravitate toward the average coffee house. But there are a few coffee houses that do feature rock bands, so you take what you can get.

Most school dances don't really want a rock band unless you can do some pop and old-school disco-funk as well. If your band is willing to expand in those areas, you might be able to break into that market. It's a tough one to crack though. DJs have pretty much taken over.

For rock, your mostly looking at shows. Battle of the bands or a concert setting. Some schools do these, either in their gym or auditorium. Also, local service clubs like Kiwanis or the Lions Club or Key Club or JayCees will do these.

Probably the best contact you can make is in your local music store.
There will be a bulletin board where you can find out about upcoming events and post your own little ad for your band. And the owner of a store is often contacted by local merchants and clubs about bands they can contact for an event they're planning.

There's a reason why some of us pay a bit more for our gear at a local shop, rather than buy on-line. In addition to being able to simply walk in and buy what you need on-the-spot, try out new gear, and get proper service without shipping the merchandise across the country, you make valuable contacts. Both with the owner of the store, and with other musicians and people who wanna hire musicians. Even if you just buy a few picks or a set of strings every few weeks, a few moments chatting with the owner can pay HUGE dividends when it comes to landing gigs.

Your avatar just danced to bulls on parade

On topic: Competitions
I don't know if this is true where you live, but it is in the states. But, they will let you in a bar if your parents are with you, just no drinking. there are also some bars that will let you in without parents, but again, no drinking, and they might stamp your hand or something.
Axe Music used to run "Axetremefest" which was kind of a battle of the bands tour of high schools in Calgary and Edmonton. They brought equipment and lights and invited schools and bands to sign up to host or play.

Not sure if they still do that, but you could call them and see if they still have a program.

In the same note, talk to the guys in the music stores and music teachers. There always seems to be available small gigs if you don't expect to be paid to get some experience and exposure.
Last edited by Quintex at Nov 3, 2009,
Do what we do in Jersey. Firehalls and Lodges.
Rigz.
SX Furrian
Eastwood Mandocaster
Bugera v55
DigiTech DL8
Boss BD-2
Dean Markley Tuner
Ebow

Gear Hitlist:
2x12 Cab
Im from edmonton too.
Im 15, and my death metal band was gonna do some shows. there was a club on whyte ave, and we were gonna play there. I forget what it was called at the moment, but I could find out. Just to clarify, I was the youngest in the band, but we were all under 18. we couldnt do the gig because we couldnt write material fast enough, so we had to cancel.
How about a high five?

My Gear
Ibanez RG320
Schecter Demon 7
Fender Standard Stratocaster
Line 6 Spider III 30
Bugera 6262/Peavey 412 cabinet