Page 1 of 2
would you say it is much harder to pull off than on a metal guitar like an ibanez?or a warlock?
I doubt it. If it has any effect on how fast you play, it would be very little.
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
Yngwie malmsteen ring a bell?
Quote by 23:50 inbleach
can't i just eat the fucking cactus?

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

I hear you'll suck my cat...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
warlock

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
eric johnson.
not shred but still fast!
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
Yeah look at Yngwie, and those guys from Iron Maiden.
Stuff:
ESP/LTD EC-200QM (with SD Distortions)
1986 Charvel Model 4
2013 Ibanez RG7421WH

Amps
Marshall MS-2 microamp (a POS)
B-52 LG-100a head (Not bad)

Pedals
Digitech Grunge distortion
And Gary Holt from Exodus!
New Setup:
Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Black SG w/ 3 Hum.)
Peavey Classic 50
EHX Metal Muff
Cry Baby 535Q

"I'm the one that's got to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to"
Jimi Hendrix
I own a strat, ibanez and a shecter. I must say that it is much easier for me to "shred" on the strat. It's all preference my friend.
Stuff:
-Orange Tiny Terror head
-Roland Cube 20x
-Ibanez SA
-Ibanez RG7321
-Fender MIM Strat
-EB Music Man SUB 1
You can shred on an accoustic if you're good enough.

Malmsteen uses scalloped fingerboards which have a similar effect found with the larger frets on shred guitars like Ibanezes.

An MIA Standard or Deluxe Strat has 22 frets (and so do Squier Standards & Deluxes, but not Affinities, Bullets, or any MIM Strat or MIA Vintage series.)

Shred guitars have 24 frets. Shure you could fret on the 22d and pre-bend a step, but most folks can't do that reliably on sextuplets at 180+ bpm, plus that's realy hard to do for legato or tapping (i.e., impossible).

Shred uses a lot of whammy, and Strats go out of tune fast with just a little whammy use. There are a lot of tricks out there to help, but nothing beats a Floyd Rose. You can put an FR on a Strat, but that's a lot of work beyond most folk's capabilities to do right. You can buy one currently in production, but it'll be a MIM and only have 21 frets.

Fender made an HM Strat in the 80s w/ 24 extra jumbo frets, no pick guard, humbuckers, and a Floyd Rose, but they're rare now.

You can put a 24 fret neck on a Strat but you'll have to move the neck pup and you won't be able to reach the new frets unless you expand the cutout--which means you'd have to refinish the guitar or have a really ugly guitar.

If you really like Strats and really want to shred, I recommend a Jackson DNKY or Soloist. Jackson is owned by Fender.
Quote by j37h307
I own a strat, ibanez and a shecter. I must say that it is much easier for me to "shred" on the strat. It's all preference my friend.

I have 2 Strats (1 MIA & 1 Affinity), a Xiphos, and an Avenger. Me and everyone else whose played these guitars can play fastest on the Avenger, then the Xiphos, then the MIA, then the Squier.

Although Iron Maiden uses Strats a lot, they've also used Ibanez Destroyers, Lado Earths, and a lot of Jacksons.

Malmsteen can shred, but he's limited without those 3 extra frets.

Setup on the guitars can be important too. If a Strat has a setup optimized for shredding, it'll be easier than on an Ibanez JEM with the action set too high. Pickups can make a big difference, too. Higher output pups are harder to control, but more responsive to a lighter touch; especially for legato.

There's a lot of variables involved, but the main ones are # of frets, size of frets/scalloping, neck shape, and vibrato system. And yes, as j37h307 points out, the most important variable is the player.
Last edited by jetwash69 at Oct 25, 2009,
Iron Maiden, Yngwie, Eric Johnson?

It's all personal taste, my friend. Purely taste. Plus, can you play jazz, blues, R&B, funk, etc. on an Ibanez?
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by rooster456

It's all personal taste, my friend. Purely taste. Plus, can you play jazz, blues, R&B, funk, etc. on an Ibanez?

The right Ibanez, yes.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by the_white_bunny
eric johnson.
not shred but still fast!

False.

Shredding = Slang for Playing Fast

Therefore, Eric Johnson = Shredder.
My Rig:

Guitars:
Schecter C-1 Classic (Deep Sea Green)
Jackson DK2M Snow White Edition
BC Rich Mockingbird Special X

Amps:
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 212
Roland Microcube

RIP Kevin Robert Swerdfiger
September 15 1991 - May 16 2008
Yeah, Malmsteen pretty much gives an outright no to your question. If you can shred properly then a guitar model will not stop you from doing it.
But, if you don't scallop your 'board properly, you will just wreck your guitar. Also, you can develop tendonitis because of the extended stretch your fingers must deal with because you want to "shred"
And dont we forget Ritchie Blackmore
My Gear:
Fender Stratocaster MIM Sunburst
Epiphone LP Studio
2X Roland Cube 30X
Little Big Muff
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
Squier Precision Bass
There is a vid of Shawn Lane shredding on a Fender strat on youtube. Malmsteen shreds with a scalloped strat, Eric Johnson can definitely keep up with a lot of modern shredders (Not to mention his tone sounds so much more pleasing...).

Satriani has played a strat and Les Paul before. I have also seen Vai play a strat before. Andy Timmons can shred on a Telecaster. It's all about your technique and preference in comfort. I can personally play faster on my strat than on an Ibanez or any other 'shred' guitar. However, that only goes to one of my strats (EJ strat), I can't play as fast on my MIM because the neck is thinner, which doesn't fit well with my hands.
Quote by IronMaiden76
But, if you don't scallop your 'board properly, you will just wreck your guitar. Also, you can develop tendonitis because of the extended stretch your fingers must deal with because you want to "shred"
How the hell is someone going to wreck their neck from shredding? And what will scalloping do to save that?
Someone might wreck their neck from scalloping it I think hes saying. Find someone good if you are going to get your neck scalloped.

We think yes. Also why was the TS banned?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Quote by jetwash69
You can shred on an accoustic if you're good enough.

Malmsteen uses scalloped fingerboards which have a similar effect found with the larger frets on shred guitars like Ibanezes.

An MIA Standard or Deluxe Strat has 22 frets (and so do Squier Standards & Deluxes, but not Affinities, Bullets, or any MIM Strat or MIA Vintage series.)

Shred guitars have 24 frets. Shure you could fret on the 22d and pre-bend a step, but most folks can't do that reliably on sextuplets at 180+ bpm, plus that's realy hard to do for legato or tapping (i.e., impossible).

Shred uses a lot of whammy, and Strats go out of tune fast with just a little whammy use. There are a lot of tricks out there to help, but nothing beats a Floyd Rose. You can put an FR on a Strat, but that's a lot of work beyond most folk's capabilities to do right. You can buy one currently in production, but it'll be a MIM and only have 21 frets.

Fender made an HM Strat in the 80s w/ 24 extra jumbo frets, no pick guard, humbuckers, and a Floyd Rose, but they're rare now.

You can put a 24 fret neck on a Strat but you'll have to move the neck pup and you won't be able to reach the new frets unless you expand the cutout--which means you'd have to refinish the guitar or have a really ugly guitar.

If you really like Strats and really want to shred, I recommend a Jackson DNKY or Soloist. Jackson is owned by Fender.

who says you need 24 frets and a floyd rose, I shred on a mexican telecaster through a mesa!

learn some noob!
I don't get why anyone would say shred guitars have to have 24 frets. Oh no I only have 22 frets I guess I have to play slow now?
depends on the strat and its specs.

Can it be done, even on a vintage-style strat? Sure, malmsteen and johnson as already mentioned. Are they much better players than we are, and do we need all the help we can get? Of course.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Malmsteen does it.. So it's very Doable to say the least!

I think it's all about what suits you personally.. i, for exampel, can't play strats for shit. Really, stratocasters are just uncomfortable to me, and i don't play as good on them as on many other guitars. I have no idea why, though.
FUCK YOU ALL!

666 BLACK METAL HOLOCAUST!!!!!
I actually find strats more comfortable to play than Ibanez. Their necks are too thin and too wide for my liking.

Also, Warlocks have pretty big necks. Don't know if you're into that kind of thing, but they're pretty thick and wide.
Shredding is possible on any guitar. The only reason thin necked guitars are regarded are shred guitars is because, for most people, they are more comfortable to play quickly on because of their thin, flat necks and wide fretboards. If a thin and wide neck isnt comfortable then you'll shred on whatever you want to.
I've seen people like Matt Heafy play pretty damn fast on an unscalloped Les Paul simply because that's seems to be what he likes. He also played a seven string Razorback which must have a really thick neck for the genre and still managed play quickly. I know too much about Trivium for not listening to them.
It all boils down to the player. Does anyone here think that Paul Gilbert or Steve Vai couldn't play the same on a strat with a few hours getting used to it, assuming they don't ever play on strats themselves?
With our lives based on the hope for salvation
The humanist paradigm is nothing but a charade
Condemned to inertia: a passive race
We wait and contemplate

Quote by westdyolf
Yngwie malmsteen ring a bell?

Sold his sig strat today. I've seen people shred like crazy on that guitar.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by ApeWeevil
It all boils down to the player. Does anyone here think that Paul Gilbert or Steve Vai couldn't play the same on a strat with a few hours getting used to it, assuming they don't ever play on strats themselves?

+1

And just as an aside, Gilbert's Firemans (Firemen?) reportedly have gigantic necks: 23mm to 26mm I think it was. Huge. Vai used to play a strat, I think, back in the Zappa days (y'know, when he was good ).
Quote by ApeWeevil

exactly. this, "oh, you can only play fast because you have an ibanez" argument is retarded.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
That's like saying "Is it possible to play a D minor chord on a stratocaster?"

They're all guitars, you can play anything on them, if your guitar literally forces you away from the strings when you try to play a genre that isn't "suited" to the guitar...you have something wrong with your guitar
Quote by kyle100
False.

Shredding = Slang for Playing Fast

Therefore, Eric Johnson = Shredder.

NO
Two words - Yngwie Malmsteen. But some probably already said that
Gear:
Electric
2008 Epiphone G400 Heritage CherryFUBAR
2008 Ibanez GRG 170 DX
2009 Cort KX1Q
2011 LTD H 351 NT
Randall RG 50 TC
Ernie Ball 11-54
Acoustic
Dean Markley
Dunlop 10's
Quote by TasteMyFart
NO

I dont' see why not. Everyone who plays guitar and sees a phenomenal player will say something along the lines of "he/she shredded the shit outta that thing" despite the genre.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by ferguson911
who says you need 24 frets and a floyd rose, I shred on a mexican telecaster through a mesa!

learn some noob!

Nobody said that. The TS asked if it was harder to shred on a Strat, not if it was impossible to do it. All I said is it's easier to shred on a metal guitar, especially an Ibanez. And that's only like 5% easier, just enough to be noticeable.

If you read my first sentence, you'd see that I acknowledge it's possible to shred on an acoustic, even, so of course you can shred on your MIM Tele.

Just like I can shred on my Affinity Squier. But I can't hit the high notes from any of the Metallica solos I like to play on it. Guess I'm too much of a noob to consistently pre-bend notes on the 21st fret up a whole step at 208 bpm. Now that I've replaced the single coils with some hot buckers, its fine for the rhythm parts though.

How many noobs have 2 Strats & 2 "metal" guitars? And how many of them have been playing their Strats for years more than they've played their metal guitars? By definition, that's not possible.

Just for kicks I was in a local guitar store yesterday and was playing Metallica on the various MIM & HW-1 Fenders there (minus the notes they can't play) and then I tried it out on their cheapo LTD KH-202. Night and day difference--it was effortless on that guitar with the bigger frets. Don't tell me it's because I'm used to the KH. I've only played that a couple of times. But I've been playing Strats for years and those Strats weren't significantly different from my 2 at home. The same thing happens when I play that stuff on those guitars, then switch to my Ibanez or Schecter. So much for the theory of "it's what you're used to." I also noticed that the first time I picked up a "metal" guitar, several years after I bought my Strats.

No matter how much anyone here wants to deny it, their playing will be limited without 24 frets and a fully capable whammy compared to what they could do with them. Sure it doesn't mean you can't play fast on a regular Strat, but it does mean there's lots of songs you won't be able to play correctly in the shred genre. You just can't dive bomb six steps with a vintage trem, or pull up 2 steps. There's lots of shred songs that do that stuff. And the vintage trem will go out of tune after just a couple of dive bombs, even with locking tuners, roller string tees, and an optimized nut. Sure Jimi and SRV did a lot whammy abuse with vintage trems, but they both had to bend the rest of the regular notes in the song just to sound like they were in tune after using the whammy and then retune between songs. Most of us aren't good enough to compensate on the fly like them. Even aggressive bends will knock a Strat a few cents out of tune.

Strats were designed at least 30 years before anyone got the notion of shredding. Shred guitars were designed afterwards, based on modifications people were making to non-shred guitars to optimize them for the task.

Why would shred guitars like Superstrats have these different features if they didn't make a difference?

People keep talking about Malmsteen, but he only strengthens my case since he uses scalloped fretboards. That's just a cheap way to achieve the same effect that you'd get if you bought another neck with larger frets.

And EJ, he doesn't play with 9.5" necks like the normal Strats we're talking about here. He uses 12" necks, which is exactly the radius of most Warlocks, like the TS was asking about.

BTW, the TS obviously already knows it's possible to shred on an MIA Strat since he posted a video of himself doing it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eovDj6mQXXA --you may notice it's just scales, not an actual song with high notes or any whammy techniques.

You can shred on a Marshall MG15DFX or a Spider III, too, but it sure will sound better on your Mesa, won't it? Similar concept, though not a complete parallel because while the Mesa sounds better, that doesn't affect ease of playing like fret size does.

The reason manufacturers make different model guitars with different specifications is because this optimizes guitars for different purposes. While it's possible to accomplish a task on equipment not optimized for it, by definition, it's less than ideal.

Why do so many people here have trouble with that concept?
Quote by POWERMETAL!

however i find that scalloped fretboards/large frets and flat radius' are VERY helpful!

That's all I'm saying, folks...
Quote by necrosis1193

We think yes. Also why was the TS banned?

because he keeps posting this video of him playing a "warm-up" solo on his strat, under many different usernames. Attention whore.
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Page 1 of 2