...And its a long story...

For quite some time now, I've just been casually playing, taking my time to gradually get better before seriously searching for a band to join, or some people to start a band with. Of course, I still keep myself open to anybody who might want to start something up.

So, a couple of weeks ago, I met this dude who plays drums, and he really wanted to start something up. So, I was cool with that, so we picked a date to jam, I told him to pick 2 songs that he knew and I would learn them as well as I could. Well, jam day came around. He had picked some pretty easy songs, so we just played those as well as random improv here and there and some other stuff we knew.

So, we decided to start a band. We started jamming more, and doing a little bit of writing. He's not the greatest when it comes to writing, he's a solid drummer who can keep time more or less, but his writing sucks. He also tries to write guitar lines (since he's played some guitar as well apparently) but its never anything great. I'm not the greatest guitarist or songwriter in the world either, but... I can recognize when the drums and guitar clash and don't mix well atleast...

Anyway, recently he's all but disappeared... He disappeared all of last week, and this week he stood me up at practice. I was a tad late, but I called him a good 20 minutes before we were supposed to meet and practice. He said it was no problem. I was going to be 30 minutes late, which also shouldn't have been a big deal because we usually practice for about 3 hours. Luckily, I called him as I was leaving only to find out he'd left our practice area and gone home, and refused to come back.

But, that wasn't the first dick move he made... Earlier we had written a little something together (some random riff I'd played for kicks and didn't really like after it totally didn't fit with the drums he composed.) and he claimed he had began writing lyrics for it. After hounding him for an hour, he finally admitted he didn't actually have any lyrics written, or thought of, he'd just said that.

He also claimed he'd recorded us jamming (which he actually did) and then went home and created us a myspace page and posted it. I was skeptical about this, as we had only been playing together for about a week at the time. Though, I got home and checked and no such page or recording existed. So I wasn't really mad about that, but its just the fact he was pulling **** out of his ass that annoyed me.

He's also very unwilling to compromise on a few things... Such as band name. He thought of one after our second practice. I kinda liked it, I mean it wasn't atrocious, but I felt confident we could do better with a concentrated effort rather than the first random idea. So I got home and googled. Turns out there's a band in the Continental US with the name already, minus the difference of the placement of one letter. And a local band even with a name fairly close.

The drummer also insisted we be a "Christian Metal" band. I was sort've skeptical. Not because I'm a Satanic Death Metal elitist or anything, I actually do go to church every now and again, but I know all the assumptions about a band that go hand-in-hand with labeling yourself "Christian Metal." Everyone presumes its crappy and generic, or an As I Lay Dying cover band. We talked about this, but he simply won't budge. That annoyed me a fair bit.

He also insists we play mostly metalcore. I told him blatantly "No... We can genre mix if you want, but its going to lean towards Death and Thrash." Since he wanted to play songs by A Day to Remember, and The Devil Wears Prada ( ), whilst I wanted us to learn Children of Bodom songs and Lamb of God's Sacrament album.

Lastly, his disappearing routine didn't start until our last practice, which was two weeks ago. His mom called him on the phone, simply to ask where he was and he exploded into the phone, screaming how he was 18 and he didn't have to phone every 4 seconds to tell her where he was. I was going to make a few comments, both serious and for lulz but chose not to, no matter how immature his course of action was. After that day though, he's acted like they really shortened his leash. I know my father would've knocked the **** out of me if I did anything like that.

Anyway... What should I do?

By the way, sorry for the wall of text.

tl;dr my drummer insists alot of things upon our newly founded band, wants to play metalcore, and usually refuses to compromise with me. He is a solid drummer, but tells tales alot, and dropped off the grid two weeks ago after an immature outburst at his mother. What do I do?
...Obvious answer is obvious.
Ditch him, man. Seriously, that is not the kind of person you want in your band. Surely you can post an ad or something in a couple local music stores or something?
My gear:
Schecter C-1+ w/ Seymour duncan Jazz (neck) and Full Shred (bridge), with Sperzels
B-52 LG-100A 4x12 half stack
Rogue LX405 Bass
Yamaha classical
Some sort of acoustic Squier
Boss Flanger
Lyon Chorus
doesn't sound worth your time.

if he puts forth the effort to arrange practices and whatever, then go for it, but don't go out of your way for someone like that.
+2 for the children of bodom and lamb of god
but yeh ditch em
peavey vypyr 30
yamaha starter guitar
Agile AL-2000 Tribal Blue

R.I.P REV!

A God Has Fallen,
R.I.P. Dio!

why Scorpions Why!?!
kick his legs out from under him, put your left foot on his collar bone, and with your right arm, grab behind his top row of teeth and YANK!

...Pez dispenser!!!
Well it's obvious you have to ditch him, even if he was the most awesome musician in the world, you need someone who is reliable. You'll find that being a reliable musician is usually the main thing you need for a band.

Also, I found it incredibly weird that a cover band would choose a genre. A cover band is hired to entertain and attract large audiences. Unless you guys were aiming specifically to draw a Christian Metal crowd to play at venues geared towards Christian Metal dudes (I don't know what these places are - none in Australia) you should just play popular songs which attract wide audiences to come see you. You know, like other cover bands.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
they're the blackest of black christian metal cover bands! they only cover what they want to hear, not what the regular jackoffs came to see!
Christian Metal? .. Just kill him and be over with it. Sounds like a complete retard, and honestly, anyone who wants to compose "Christian Metal" haven't got any feeling for that type of music. Then again, he wanted to play Metalcore.. I suppose he's just one of those fairy-boys who wants to look cool and scream into a microphone, while preaching bastardeous Nazerene shit.

Sorry, but certain things just piss me off to bits. If somebody wants to make Christian music, they should make CHRISTIAN MUSIC, damn gospel, or mainstream prima-donne crap, in which artists thanks their god for every award.

You should dump him. You obviously seem to know what kind of direction you would like to take your writing and playing in. And you should do just that. If you just look around, i'm sure you'll find someone will similar values or ideals, and not just someone wanting to play teenage-music for teenage-reasons.

Most importantly, it does not sound like you even have much fun playing with this guy as things have progressed. So just.. Find somebody else. Because he sounds horrible. Jam his drumsticks up his arse for good measure too.

Ahem. Yes. My confusing mix of rant and advice, with a grain of opinion is now over. Thread can proceed.
FUCK YOU ALL!

666 BLACK METAL HOLOCAUST!!!!!
Quote by AlanHB
Well it's obvious you have to ditch him, even if he was the most awesome musician in the world, you need someone who is reliable. You'll find that being a reliable musician is usually the main thing you need for a band.

Also, I found it incredibly weird that a cover band would choose a genre. A cover band is hired to entertain and attract large audiences. Unless you guys were aiming specifically to draw a Christian Metal crowd to play at venues geared towards Christian Metal dudes (I don't know what these places are - none in Australia) you should just play popular songs which attract wide audiences to come see you. You know, like other cover bands.

Well... I think the general idea was to be half and half, and then progress more towards being an originals band. Of course, it doesn't matter much now as everyone's giving the same suggested course of action and I'd be fool to discard it.

And I doubt we would be hired in any case, with the direction HE wanted to take. More like playing free gigs on random Wednesday afternoons and weekends, at churchs...

Quote by GrisKy
they're the blackest of black christian metal cover bands! they only cover what they want to hear, not what the regular jackoffs came to see!

Yes! You nailed it, good sir. I'll play "Walk With Me In Hell" in the middle of a Sunday morning service if I damn well please.

Quote by Northernmight
Christian Metal? .. Just kill him and be over with it. Sounds like a complete retard, and honestly, anyone who wants to compose "Christian Metal" haven't got any feeling for that type of music. Then again, he wanted to play Metalcore.. I suppose he's just one of those fairy-boys who wants to look cool and scream into a microphone, while preaching bastardeous Nazerene shit.

Sorry, but certain things just piss me off to bits. If somebody wants to make Christian music, they should make CHRISTIAN MUSIC, damn gospel, or mainstream prima-donne crap, in which artists thanks their god for every award.

You should dump him. You obviously seem to know what kind of direction you would like to take your writing and playing in. And you should do just that. If you just look around, i'm sure you'll find someone will similar values or ideals, and not just someone wanting to play teenage-music for teenage-reasons.

Most importantly, it does not sound like you even have much fun playing with this guy as things have progressed. So just.. Find somebody else. Because he sounds horrible. Jam his drumsticks up his arse for good measure too.

Ahem. Yes. My confusing mix of rant and advice, with a grain of opinion is now over. Thread can proceed.

Yeah man, we're totally on the same page. You pointed out all the reasons I really don't feel like creating a "Christian Metal" band. As I've told a few people, the term "Christian Metal" is a blatant oxymoron, for what should be quite obvious reasons. Metal is Rock'n'Roll's older step-cousin who smokes and drives a beat-up, black Camaro. Judging by how most "religious people" (I do try to use the term lightly, as to not offend, although there a lot of living stereotypes of that term out there.) automatically write off Rock'n'Roll as "the devil's influences."

But, yes... You're totally right.

@All the posters in the thread: Thanks a lot, guys. This is what I was pretty confident the verdict would be, but I would stick in there for another week if anyone had any positive suggestions. (Not that dropping this punk isn't positive ) Since that's not the case, I suppose I'll post up an ad in my local music store on Monday looking for people to jam and possibly form a band with, eventually. Thanks again, guys.
well then since you got your answer mine wouldn't be serious.

I've seen this before in a movie once, the guy seems all nice but as you become closer to him he goes crazy, then he eats your soul

████████████████████

███████████████████████
███████████████████████

█████████████████████

███████████████████████

█████████████████████

█████████████████████

███████████████████

█████████████████████

████████████████████
TS - Good luck finding a new drummer. If you decide to work with the old one, its "enter at your own risk."
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Not worth the trouble.
It's clear that he gets ahead of himself quite a bit and that can really **** up a band when it's just starting out.
he does sound like a prick so i'd ditch him especially if he's not willing to compromise at this stage whats gunna happen if you get to recording and he'll just completely take over the editing and make it his own way

however i will have to disagree with the whole christian metal hating thing going on
its metal.. so heavy riffs drums and solos etc but with christian related lyrics
i'm not a fan of it myself but just think if you like metal music and some of your inspiration comes from christian beliefs why make up bs that you don't mean?
however i do agree that some people don't mean the christian aspect and are doing it to look cool
I wasn't hating on Christian Metal, I was saying it's an extremely poor choice of direction for a cover band. You'll get no work.

However, one advantage is that your audience will always applaud, even if you are crap.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
I wasn't hating on Christian Metal, I was saying it's an extremely poor choice of direction for a cover band. You'll get no work.

However, one advantage is that your audience will always applaud, even if you are crap.

This is most certainly true. I've seen kids who struggled with "Raining Blood" and Slipknot covers ( ) get applauded for out-of-key vocals, half-assed Major chord fests in 4/4, and stale bass lines (holding one note for 4 bars, with it usually being out of key). Not that there's anything wrong with just Major chords... But... Playing 8ths at 100bpm, if you're missing these you should not be on stage.
i just think it's kinda' funny

death metal +christianity =

...life metal?
Quote by GrisKy
i just think it's kinda' funny

death metal +christianity =

...life metal?

A genre waiting to be founded...

No offense, but you sound like a child too.

Quote by CraZyB0y
), whilst I wanted us to learn Children of Bodom songs and Lamb of God's Sacrament album.

Why are you bossing him around? You two are just too close minded to mix both genres, which aren't even too different anyways.

Also, if you were 30 minutes late, I'd leave too. If I'm going to be absent to a band practice I let my bandmates know at least a day earlier for rescheduling.
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?