Page 1 of 2
Quote by oands
that seems like an oxymoron...

Starting Weight: 310, 38.8% Body fat (11/2008, pic in profile)
Latest Weigh in 230.2 14.3% Body fat (4/13/2013)

Pro life, pro gun, health nut, Christian and conservative. I make no apologies if what I say pisses anybody off.
Quote by oands

Yeah those Eltists and Masterbuilts are real pieces of shit hey?
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
I'm not sure which is the bigger joke. Oands' remark, or the short list of Epiphone players.
Last edited by jetwash69 at Oct 25, 2009,
they use the open style in japan. it would be awsome if they used it over here aswell.
Epiphone les paul custom
Epiphone les paul 56' reissue goldtop
Custom Telecaster
Boss ME-50
Digitech flanger
Digitech Hot Head
Marshall MG100DFX

Unmarked P-bass
Johnson J-style
Aria STB jazzbass
Fender Rumble 100
Quote by oands

ORLY?
http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Epiphone/1962-Wilshire.aspx
that's a high end epiphone, made in the gibson custom shop.

Just because it says epiphone on it doesn't mean it's a low quality guitar. and note the headstock looking pretty similar to the one in question

@ippon: i also wish epiphone would use that headstock. it just looks better. i've always loved the classic gibson headstock, and the non-reverse firebird headstock
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by jetwash69
I'm not sure which is the bigger joke. Oands' remark, or the short list of Epiphone players.

Short, maybe, but look who is on that list. So many of the people who shaped music heavily and just great players.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
So many of the guys on that list probably only whip out the Epiphone once in a blue moon.

Epiphone, to get you by in the interim.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
^ I dunno, I do like me some Riviera action, not to mention some Coronet pleasure. I Pete Doherty heavily uses his Coronet and Nick Valensi always uses his Riviera's (I think I've seen him use an LP once).

Also, Noel Gallagher used his Sheraton and Supernova guitars for years. Not to mention how long the Beatles used theirs.

Then again, they all use vintage models, so make of that what you will. I certainly want an old Riviera though.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
i think that looks ugly compared to the standard epi headstock. bu that's my opinion. i think that big curve is too odd.
TOMAHAWK!

"Now I think I understand how this world can overcome a man..."

R.I.P.
James THE REV Sullivan
I actually really like the standard prodution Epiphone headstock. The one thing I don't like about the Elitist series is the headstocks they use.

As far as the "lol Epiphones aren't for serious use" or whatever, what part of "The Rolling Stones, The Beatles and Les Paul himself use them extensively" do you not understand? The fact that original Epiphone hollowbody models sell for more than the Gibson and Gretsch equivalents from the same era should tell you something.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I actually like the open book better on an epiphone than a gibson, i frankly think the word epiphone suits it more...i guess im just weird like that
My name is Collin, please feel free to use it

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/pickgnomehu nters/

Quote by STABxYOU
Quote by Blakeu224

this is absolutely, 100% correct.
For example, Dave Mustaine has a signature coffee mix.

Good Morning, Black Coffee?
Quote by flanders_91
i think that looks ugly compared to the standard epi headstock. bu that's my opinion. i think that big curve is too odd.

this.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Quote by oands

What the f*ck is an oxymoron?
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
Quote by Kurapica
Short, maybe, but look who is on that list. So many of the people who shaped music heavily and just great players.

Yeah. And a lot of them played instruments made before Epiphone was to Gibson what Squier is to Fender. In fact, most of them were before Squier existed.

Incidentally, everyone thinks the guys in Metallica play ESPs, but watch their documentaries or youtube clips and you'll find them playing a lot of Gibsons, a few Fenders, and even a Parker Fly in the studio.
^Epiphone IS NOT to Gibson what Squier is to Fender. Epiphone is to Gibson what Fender Mexico is to Fender America.

I totally agree TS. I can't stand the standard prodution Epi headstock unless its an LP custom or something with plenty of binding. They look horrible otherwise.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Last edited by Natrone at Oct 26, 2009,
Quote by Natrone
^Epiphone IS NOT to Gibson what Squier is to Fender. Epiphone is to Gibson what Fender Mexico is to Fender America.

Thank you. I am sick of people comparing some of the higher-quality Epi's like the Sheratons and the Les Paul Customs to a $200 Squier.

Anyway, simply, because the current one is sexier to more people. Yes that one is the one they used back in the late 19th century, but as they figured out in 1935, the more Gibsony headstock is sexier to more people.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Limited-Edition-1959-Les-Paul-Standard-Electric-Guitar?sku=581892

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Les-Paul-Studio-Electric-Guitar?sku=517030

I really can't see any case where buying a new Gibson with the intention of playing it could be a good decision. Simply put, anywhere below $1000, Epiphone WILL give you more for your money. Just look at the specs of the guitars above. If you have $2000-3000 or more saved up for a Les Paul Standard, or a Gibson Custom, you're way better off going to a real custom luthier or shop. Buying a new Gibson just doesn't make sense.
To be fair, the Epiphone was around before they were made a cheaper subsidiary of Gibson. So when guys like John Lennon and Paul McCartney, Les Paul, and all those big names come up, they weren't playing the same Asian made guitars that you buy from Epiphone now. Gibson didn't send Epiphone production overseas until the '70s.
Quote by Stickymongoose
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Limited-Edition-1959-Les-Paul-Standard-Electric-Guitar?sku=581892

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Les-Paul-Studio-Electric-Guitar?sku=517030

I really can't see any case where buying a new Gibson with the intention of playing it could be a good decision. Simply put, anywhere below $1000, Epiphone WILL give you more for your money. Just look at the specs of the guitars above. If you have $2000-3000 or more saved up for a Les Paul Standard, or a Gibson Custom, you're way better off going to a real custom luthier or shop. Buying a new Gibson just doesn't make sense.
Are you seriously picking based on specs?

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Washburn-D10S-Acoustic-Guitar-?sku=515152

"solid spruce top and mahogany back and sides for exceptional tone. A mahogany neck and rosewood fingerboard make fretwork a breeze, while chrome Grover-style machines keep you perfectly tuned."

Same "specs" as a Martin D18. I take it that you would rather have the $200 Washburn?
Last edited by al112987 at Oct 26, 2009,
Epiphones good, TS' headstock bad.
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
Quote by al112987

Just pointing out that the Epiphone model has all around better hardware, electronics, higher quality body material...and as far as I've seen, probably better craftsmanship than a "budget" model Gibson. What else is there? Face it, Gibson guitars, unless you get a great deal on a used model or something are an absolute rip-off. People are suckers for the headstock logo, and the company knows it.
epi elite/elitists, great guitars for a great price!
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
Quote by al112987
To be fair, the Epiphone was around before they were made a cheaper subsidiary of Gibson. So when guys like John Lennon and Paul McCartney, Les Paul, and all those big names come up, they weren't playing the same Asian made guitars that you buy from Epiphone now. Gibson didn't send Epiphone production overseas until the '70s.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Washburn-D10S-Acoustic-Guitar-?sku=515152

"solid spruce top and mahogany back and sides for exceptional tone. A mahogany neck and rosewood fingerboard make fretwork a breeze, while chrome Grover-style machines keep you perfectly tuned."

Same "specs" as a Martin D18. I take it that you would rather have the $200 Washburn?

Epiphone elitists are made from the same wood as the R8's pal, I'd rather have that than any sub 3000$ gibson.
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
Quote by Natrone

Don't confuse Squier with Starcaster.

Starcaster = Maestro by Gibson

Squier = Epiphone

MIM ~ Gibson "Studio" guitars

Of course, all of these Fender brands are much more economical than their Gibson equivalents.

Of course, there are places where all of these lines cross over each other. E.g., Squier Bullets aren't much better than a Starcaster

Squier makes some great guitars in India and Indonesia around the $350 - $400 range.

Lots of Squiers are better than MIM Strats in several ways (Standard & Deluxe models with 22 frets vs. 21 on a MIM; some have better necks and fretwork, too). Some even come with actual Seymour Duncan pups (although some others are Duncan Design). Most will require more intense set-up out of the box (inlcluding neck shimming) though.

And I'd rather play a well set-up $150 Affinity than any short-scale, heavy guitar lacking a tremolo system anyway.

So a lot of it comes down to personal preference.
Quote by Stickymongoose
Just pointing out that the Epiphone model has all around better hardware, electronics, higher quality body material...and as far as I've seen, probably better craftsmanship than a "budget" model Gibson. What else is there? Face it, Gibson guitars, unless you get a great deal on a used model or something are an absolute rip-off. People are suckers for the headstock logo, and the company knows it.

It really doesn't though. Gibson pretty much uses higher quality everything than on Epiphones. Every Epi I've played feels very cheap. Every Gibson I've played has beat all Epiphones I've played (minus Elitists because I've never played one). Epiphones are budget versions of Gibsons, they're meant to be worse.

Quote by jetwash69
Don't confuse Squier with Starcaster.

Starcaster = Maestro by Gibson

Squier = Epiphone

MIM ~ Gibson "Studio" guitars

Of course, all of these Fender brands are much more economical than their Gibson equivalents.

Low-end Epis = Squires
Epiphone = MIM Fenders
Faded/Studio Gibsone = Highway One Fenders
Gibson = MIA Fenders

Fenders aren't cheaper than Gibsons, they're about the same
Quote by JELIFISH19
It really doesn't though. Gibson pretty much uses higher quality everything than on Epiphones. Every Epi I've played feels very cheap. Every Gibson I've played has beat all Epiphones I've played (minus Elitists because I've never played one). Epiphones are budget versions of Gibsons, they're meant to be worse.

So, I'm guessing you never actually bothered to look at the two guitars I was comparing? The reason you and so many other people think Epiphones are worse is that you're trying to compare $200 models to Gibson Customs. For any model of Gibson, find an Epiphone (or just about any other brand out there) around the same price, and it will almost ALWAYS be a better instrument.
Last edited by Stickymongoose at Oct 28, 2009,
Quote by falconthefirst
What the f*ck is an oxymoron?

like "big-little" something that contradicts itself.
Quote by Stickymongoose
So, I'm guessing you never actually bothered to look at the two guitars I was comparing? The reason you and so many other people think Epiphones are worse is that you're trying to compare $200 models to Gibson Customs. For any model of Gibson, find an Epiphone (or just about any other brand out there) around the same price, and it will almost ALWAYS be a better instrument.

I've never played a sub-$400 Epi and I've only played Gibson Studios and Standards. All of the Gibsons beat the Epis in every single way. I think you're just a Gibson hater if you think that a Gibson which uses higher quality wood, hardware, electronics, and has better craftsmanship is worst than $400-600 mid-range guitars.
TO answer the original TS question.........
Because the headtsock you posted is foro the Elitist Models not the standard Epis.
Some people hate it sure, that's personal preference and a matter of taste not a right or wrong answer. Personally I like the way it doesn't angle the strings sideways as much as the Gibson ones does as the strings leave the nut. On some Gibson headstocks the D & G strings are practically rubbing on the A & B uner posts as they pass by and I don't appreciate that aspect of them.
Moving on.....
Quote by JELIFISH19
I've never played a sub-$400 Epi and I've only played Gibson Studios and Standards. All of the Gibsons beat the Epis in every single way. I think you're just a Gibson hater if you think that a Gibson which uses higher quality wood, hardware, electronics, and has better craftsmanship is worst than $400-600 mid-range guitars.

Again, look at the freaking links. $899 for an Epiphone with Burstbuckers, Switchcraft and Mallory electronics, Locktone TOM and a AAA flamed maple top. $1100-1300 for a Gibson with 490R/498T pickups, generic electronics, standard TOM and a carved maple top. Pay a little more attention next time, okay? You're even still comparing Gibsons to $400-600 Epiphones. This is something I thought I was VERY clear about in the earlier post, but I guess you never bothered to read it. You CAN'T compare $400-600 guitars to $1500-3000 guitars.
Last edited by Stickymongoose at Oct 28, 2009,
Quote by al112987

I was going to post this.
Page 1 of 2