Deleted the other thread, ive decided i want to build a body

I want a unique look, good tone, and it will be fun. I was thinking this -

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/3/4/7/592347.jpg

I have the template for it. I have a few questions -

1. How do I route out those little pockets? A band saw will be used to cut around but how do you get inside and carve those suckers?
2. If I use Hard Maple for the body and make that shape, it will lose weight, a good thing with hard maple. But, will it sacrifice tone? Will those pockets make it have less bass or something?
3. How do I cut out the proper neck joint for it? Not sure what type of saw to use.
4. How does hard maple sound in a guitar?

Thanks
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Congrats dude. I kinda want a BJ too 'cause I like them so much. I'll check your clipz later.

umm I don't really know if it will make you lose bass tone, bbut if it does just use a bassier wood. you don't have to use hard maple.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Last edited by the_perdestrian at Oct 25, 2009,
I don't want hard maple for its bass.. i want it for its aggressiveness. Maybe I should just stick with mahogany..
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Congrats dude. I kinda want a BJ too 'cause I like them so much. I'll check your clipz later.

you asked if the holes would make it lose bass "or something"

anyway, this is what warmoth says about hard maple :Hard Maple is a very hard, heavy and dense wood. This is the same wood that we use on our necks. The grain is closed and very easy to finish. The tone is very bright with long sustain and a lot of bite. This wood cannot be dyed. It looks great with clear or transparent color finishes.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Yeah, like, have any detrimental effect on the tone.

I asked because to my knowledge hard maple doesnt have too much bass anyways, so losing it would be bad.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

Also, my high school has woodshop, and we have 3000+ students enrolled, im sure we have a CNC machine, perhaps I can borrow it!

How do you use a CNC machine anyway?
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

Quote by injected
Also, my high school has woodshop, and we have 3000+ students enrolled, im sure we have a CNC machine, perhaps I can borrow it!

How do you use a CNC machine anyway?

You have to draw up a model on the computer then calibrate the machine and if you punched the numbers in right, it should give you an accurate real life model of what you've made on the computer. The thing is though if you do have a CNC then it's probably designed to cut metal and therefore the blade is cooled with lubrication fluid which is clearly pretty shite for wood. The best thing to do in this case is get the template, stick it over the wood and just use a router, a steady hand and a lot of elbow grease to get the shape you want.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Ah, okay. i dont think i have a problem cutting. I'm just a little lost on how to make the neck pocket.. how do i make it the right size for my neck?
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

Quote by injected
Ah, okay. i dont think i have a problem cutting. I'm just a little lost on how to make the neck pocket.. how do i make it the right size for my neck?

I just literally drew round my neck when i did it but if you have a fretboard overhang that's a bit more difficult. You could just stick a piece of paper over the heel and draw round where the edges are then stick it on the body or something. That's what i'd probably do now.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by injected

Clicky
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Quote by the_perdestrian
This wood cannot be dyed.

I beg to differ, as I have seen huge amounts of dyed maple tops and necks. In fact, maaple can get some really great finishes after being dyed.
^yeah, it can definitely be dyed....
I just died some maple scewing around while testing aniline dye for my build...
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
I always hear hard maple cant be dyed... but can it be stained? Cause dyeing and staining can classify as being different or so I have heard... Also maybe most figured maple that is worth staining is soft maple.

But as said.. to route out those cavitys you could use a router, a Jig saw, or a Scroll saw. The scroll saw is probably the most accurate one, other than a router with a wooden precut template... or if you just have a paper template you could glue it on to some 1/4 plywood or MDF scroll saw the design out and stick it on top of your body blank and route it with a template router bit (it has a bearing on it to act as a guide).

Explorers tend to have a nice resonance due to the large amount of wood behind the bridge. So cutting out some of the wood behind the bridge is going to cause a noticable difference in vibration and tone than a fully solid explorer. So although maple has little bass to start with you will suffer some cuts to the bass responce, but also sustain, and basically everything else. It still may sound fine, but its not gonna sound just like any other explorer.

For the neck joint your gonna wanna make a template of the necks heel then your gonna wanna use this template with a router that once again has a template bit. The other way is with a drill and some chisels. I dont think theres a saw that you could use...
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major
MXR phase 90, Pigtronix Echolution 2
Digitech Whammy (5th gen)

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
Quote by supergerbil
I beg to differ, as I have seen huge amounts of dyed maple tops and necks. In fact, maaple can get some really great finishes after being dyed.

I think hard maple is different to the figured softer types of maple, hard maple or "rock" maple is generally used for necks whereas softer maple is used for bodies. So perhaps it's that extra hardness that makes it less permiable to the dying?
EH

Quote by supergerbil
yeah maybe, but check out this thread.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=905932&highlight=tiger+eye

Look at the neck the guy has dyed. Its hard maple and it turned out really great

as he said, it was a lot harder to stain it so maybe it's possible but it's not quite as easy.
EH