Picture of vintage fane speaker included

I will most probably be buying a 2x12 loaded with 2 Fane Crescendo's which are rated a 15 ohms each. Would I be able to run this cab with my amp's external cab switched to 16 ohms?

Thanks,

Jak

Sorry about massive pic
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Last edited by Jak Archer at Oct 25, 2009,
Quote by Jak Archer
I will most probably be buying a 2x12 loaded with 2 Fane Crescendo's which are rated a 15 ohms each. Would I be able to run this cab with my amp's external cab switched to 16 ohms?

Thanks,

Jak

No. It would have to be around 7.5ohms (8) speaker output if wired in series.
Quote by stykerwolf
Both of them wired would equal half that load, 7.5 OHMS.
I don't think you will have a problem with half an ohm

but email the company, asking them might be your best move.

He won't BUT he has a 16ohm output.
I will be using a ValvePower which has an ohm switch - 4 ohms, 8 ohms and 16 ohms

http://professional.celestion.com/guitar/features/tone/index.asp

Here it says that a 2x12" with 2 16 ohm speakers wired in series will equal to 32 ohms
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Last edited by Jak Archer at Oct 25, 2009,
A 212 with 16 ohm speakers = 8 ohms
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
Quote by ILiKePiNeAppLeS
A 212 with 16 ohm speakers = 8 ohms

In Parallel. 32 ohm in series.
I never heard of 15 ohm crescendos. Mine are 16 ohm.
To be on the safe side, if you wire in parallel and it really is 15 /2 = 7.5 ohm, then set the amp to 4ohm output. What power rating is the amp? Most Crescendos are 200 or 300w handling as they are really designed as PA speakers. Still, I use them, Gilmour always used them so they do have a certain tone and very tight bass end. And, of course, there's very few amps that will trouble them on power.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by Lurcher
In Parallel. 32 ohm in series.
I never heard of 15 ohm crescendos. Mine are 16 ohm.
To be on the safe side, if you wire in parallel and it really is 15 /2 = 7.5 ohm, then set the amp to 4ohm output. What power rating is the amp? Most Crescendos are 200 or 300w handling as they are really designed as PA speakers. Still, I use them, Gilmour always used them so they do have a certain tone and very tight bass end. And, of course, there's very few amps that will trouble them on power.

No, he should set it to the 8ohm output, not 4ohm output. From celestions website: "Note - some vintage speakers are rated at 15Ω, you can use these to replace a 16Ω without fear of damage".
I've just got an email back from Steve from ValvePower and he says if it is wired in parallel it will run at 7.5 ohms, so I would set it to 8 ohms.
Quote by Kensai

Sums up whisky perfectly
Yes, I guess that is close enough to be within tolerance. Too much under and you can have problems as I found out when using a 12 ohm output on a WEM head into an 8 ohm 2x12. I tend to be a bit cautious since then.
If the cab is that old, you should give it a test with at least a 100w amp (assuming they are the 200w speakers - check first) and you'll have a little rig that will take you anywhere just by switching the heads.
Nice find.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x