wanting to know what a good sounding unplugged electro acoustic guitar is for around 400 uk pounds..
Ibanez have some nice acoustic guitars for a pretty low price, though I don't know anyting about pounds..
i recommend the yamaha fgx730s, which is a full sized dread with a nice sound, good build and electronics and good build quality and finish. i've seen yamaha is available in the uk, too.

i haven't found any of the ibanez to sound good - if you search the board, you'll find a lot of people feel the same way. i tried one just today at mccabes guitars, and it sounded and felt like a toy.
400 pounds is around 650 us dollars, what about seagull or taylor and ovation,ive listened to some videos on you tube and i love the sound of ovation but there all plugged in sounds,so not sure,i need to hear one that isnt amplified....
for $650 u.s. you can't afford a new electric taylor and ovations in that range or below suck. i've been told by a bunch of folks in the uk that seagulls are hard to come by. if not, they sound better unplugged than plugged, but are an excellent choice.

honestly the yamaha is a very nice guitar, not just a compromise guitar. when i first looked into them, i felt they were probably not so good, but turned out i was very mistaken. they're head and shoulders above the ovations, deans, fenders and ibanez in that price range, and while they have a very different sound and neck size from the seagulls, they are something you would keep and continue to play.

if you can go used, a taylor 114ce is also pretty nice - i like 'em a lot. in fact, i like 'em more than the all solid 300 series. and i have 2 seagulls, which will give you an idea of what i think of them. i also owned the non electric version of the yamaha, but the neck was too narrow for me so i exchanged it. otherwise i'd have definitely kept it - i loved the silvery tone.

Quote by whitty33
400 pounds is around 650 us dollars, what about seagull or taylor and ovation,ive listened to some videos on you tube and i love the sound of ovation but there all plugged in sounds,so not sure,i need to hear one that isnt amplified....
CORT = Ok, but i wouldnt. not in a million years.

My reccomendation is if you want you could try to find a taylor 214ce, Might be a bit outa your PR.
maybe the Yamaha G series, great series of guitar, all fullsize Dreads, few cutaways.
For pure tone projection, lasting sound and great hardware, you cannot go past the Taylors.
People who cant afford them badmouth them, People who can afford them are payed by other companies to play thiers. Anyone who owns or has played one has gotten an erection so hard and fast that the put a hole right through the side wood.

My point is, Taylors are Superior.
Music is an art form that celebrates potential. So long as you're looking for it, you'll always find it.
Yamaha's low end are really good value but I'm not so sure about their higher end stuff. Check out the Washburn D10SCE my cousin has one and it plays like a dream. It's handmade, the action is really low, generally just amazing. One of the best acoustics I've ever played. It's about £200 but plays and sounds as good as, if not better than a £400 guitar.
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
AFAIK, Cort and Tanglewood are made in the same factory (in the UK at least.) They use the same raw materials and there's very little difference between the quality of the instruments except for price.