So I was in a Hastings today, and came across their guitar section. Typical cheap stuff....Dano pedals, Maestro and Starcaster guitars, 15w amps, etc...

However, a familiar little blue sticker on one of the Starcaster Jazz's caught my eye, and sure enough, it said "Squier Affinity Series"....on a Starcaster. Are they just putting different names on the same instruments? The two are the same price, and from what I can tell are identical except for the headstock...

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Affinity-Series-J-Bass?sku=519631
http://www.amazon.com/Starcaster-284800108-Fender-J-Bass/dp/B00243FOLQ

Makes me wonder, are affinity and starcaster strats the same way? Because the prices on those are quite different....
Nope, no sig here.
The body shape is different methinks but its not enough to give it a new name....
maybe they just couldn't be bothered making starcaster specific parts. it would be cheaper for them to use the same ones too.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Marketing ploy? Possibly make the name sound more attractive then "jazz bass" to attract new players, while at the same time keeping the association with the famous jazz bass name by not changing all the Squiers? Or maybe the guitar design team at Fender swapped a bunch of the labels to play a practical joke on all us bass players?
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Maybe, but we have them figured out, don't we? But the Starcaster is what they call all their low-level packs that they sell at places like Best Buy...(where I bought my POS guitar 3 years ago...) while the Affinity are their low-level packs in guitar/bass/drum oriented stores. That's what I think anyways. And they're probably exactly the same.
I think someone just ****ed up at the factory. Squier aren't exactly known for amazing quality control.
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.