I have two very simular offers on a New Engl Powerball, and almost new Mesa DUal rec.

I play progressive metal such as Textures, Tessaract, Opeth, KSE OPeth etc etc..

I cant really decide. I play alot live and i will record alot eith the amp.
I play a jackson guitar with SD's and own a mesa rectifier 12'2 cab

I really like both amps tones.

what u all think?
they are completly different beasts. the powerball is german voiced and the mesa is american voiced. for prog i personaly would go with the powerball because it has a tighter sound, the recto's are quite loose and i dont really like that.
thats just my opinion anyway
Quote by samlocke14
they are completly different beasts. the powerball is german voiced and the mesa is american voiced. for prog i personaly would go with the powerball because it has a tighter sound, the recto's are quite loose and i dont really like that.

Lol. Since when is there something like german-voiced
Quote by WtrPlyr

There actually is, if you check the tone testing thread Mark posted a guide written by BostonRocks who writes quite a bit about different amp voicings towards the second half of the first page...he even includes EQ graphs so you can see the differences
Guitars: PRS Custom 24, PRS EG3, PRS Santana SE, PRS Tremonti SE, ESP-LTD M-200FM

Acoustics: Maton EM225C, Washburn WD-42S, Ovation Tangent

Amps: Peavey 5150 Mk 1, Randall V2, Marshall JCM2000 DSL100

Cab: Framus FR212
Quote by WtrPlyr

Since... a long time.

Diezel, Engl, Framus, all "German voiced" amps. They are neither American or British sounding, they are very distinct in their tones.

I'd go for the Engl personally, not too big on the new 3 channel Rectos, they don't sound nearly as good as the older 2 channel ones
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I'd go for an ENGL Powerball over a new Mesa Dual Rectifier anyday.

It's tighter and...well, awesome
My Gear:
Guitars:
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 in Charcoal Burst

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Vintage '70s Thomas Organ Crybaby Wah
Boss DD-6
Powerballs are tight but they have a compressed almost processed sound that I don't care for. There seems to be this idea that anytime anyone here mentions ENGL half of UG falls down jizzing on themslves. ENGL makes some darn nice amps but there are plenty of alternatives that are just as good.
Last edited by BobDetroit at Oct 25, 2009,
Quote by samlocke14
+1

That's basically the most important thing to note.

I'd personally suggest the Powerball over the two for the genres you mentioned. I played the ENGL , however, through a 2x12 Mesa Boogie cabinet and it sounded like utter crap. I'm just warning you.

But really, trying them out is the most important thing for you to do - or at least downloading accurate clips. I'm sure UG has one or two lying around.

If you cannot find a Dual Rectifier to test, or a Powerball to test, opt for a different model within that brand; they often have relative response traits and characteristics.

Also to note, a Dual Rectifier has a less crystalline clean tone than the Powerball. I'd say it's a little dull in comparison. But as mentioned, the ENGL is very processed sounding for a valve amp, but that's it's quality - you either love it or you hate it. Same with the Mesa Boogie.
Depends... i mean, tones a personal thing.

But rectos have a pretty nasty sag on higher gain settings, I've always felt their gain was pretty loose, but I've never played a boosted one.

Personally I'd go the ENGL.
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
I own a Fireball (liked the sound of it more than the Powerball) and I love ENGL heads. I say go for the Powerball. But, as stated before. Make sure you test it and see if you like it. ENGLs indeed do have a very distinctive sound..
I do not want to have a signature anymore.
get an engl savage. it rapes both of those amps
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by Holy-Diver
get an engl savage. it rapes both of those amps

Difficult to find and most likely *a lot* more expensive than these "offers" TS has got..
Alternative wouls be the Blackmore Signature, which is a f*cking great amp as well.
I do not want to have a signature anymore.
the blackmore is far better than the powerball too, correct

how much is the powerball offer?
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by RDSElite
Difficult to find and most likely *a lot* more expensive than these "offers" TS has got..
Alternative wouls be the Blackmore Signature, which is a f*cking great amp as well.
+1
I have tried the blackmore. And i really did not like it very much tbh. But from what i am seeing here, people tend to think the dual rec is crap? is this true, og just trolls?
offer for the powerball is the same as for the DUal rec. 16 000 Norwegian kroner. where 1 dollar is about 6 kr, so around. 2 500 dolalrs.

This seems expensive, but the truth is, its norway, and everything is ****ing expensice + the american dollar is really low compared to the nOK atm.
imo: i love the sound of a cranked dual rec... but mesa cabs are... ah f*** it, everyone here knows what i'm about to say.
Quote by Monatyra
I have tried the blackmore. And i really did not like it very much tbh. But from what i am seeing here, people tend to think the dual rec is crap? is this true, og just trolls?
If you didn't like the Blackmore I'd suggest you avoid ENGL (except maybe their high-end stuff)

Check this amp out.
http://www.maxguitarstore.com/store/index.php?productID=3336

Quote by Monatyra
offer for the powerball is the same as for the DUal rec. 16 000 Norwegian kroner. where 1 dollar is about 6 kr, so around. 2 500 dolalrs.

This seems expensive, but the truth is, its norway, and everything is ****ing expensice + the american dollar is really low compared to the nOK atm.
Have you looked into Diezel?
Powerballs are amazing, just got rid of my Mesa for an engl. Some try to belittle engl, they say they don't cut, that's because the eq is totally different than that of say a 6505. You got to get use to setting it up instead of hating on it after 20 minutes of playing it. Another thing that just sounds stupid, the whole sounds processed, how is that bad that your amp sounds spot on to how it sounds recorded? Get an engl bro.
Is that the original Powerball or the Powerball 2?

The original Powerball had reported huge difficulties standing out in the mix even with the mids dimed.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by nathan.limes
Powerballs are amazing, just got rid of my Mesa for an engl. Some try to belittle engl, they say they don't cut, that's because the eq is totally different than that of say a 6505. You got to get use to setting it up instead of hating on it after 20 minutes of playing it. Another thing that just sounds stupid, the whole sounds processed, how is that bad that your amp sounds spot on to how it sounds recorded? Get an engl bro.

Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Gwaddamnit! What's with the bloody necrothread! Let old threads die damnit!
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.