Hello there!

So I got this "progression" that looks like: Dm7 - Cmaj7 - Dbm7b5 - Em7b5 (arpeggiated they sound nice and kind of make sense but still they are a bit off, which makes it pretty interesting). Those are in the intro. (there is also an A augmented in the end of the intro to help me move in the main song.)

Then I strum a Dm7 and move to a Am7 with a bass transition of C - B - Bb - A, then back to Am7.

And so here are my questions.

The song seems to be in C major, since Dm7 and Am7 are the II and VI degrees in C major. Am I right here? ( I ignore the half-diminished chords since they are there only to cause a chromatic feel.)

Then, I know some stuff about chord substitutions (families etc.) but I'm not really strong in this field yet.

With C as a bass, Am7 is Cm6. Does the opposite case hold true? I mean, with A as a bass is Cmaj7 the Am9?

PS: Excuse my bad english but it's a second language.
My gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Fender DG-11E Black (Acoustic)
-Marshall AVT50
-Cry Baby "Wylde Wah"
-Roland RE-20 Space Echo
The song seems to be in C major, since Dm7 and Am7 are the II and VI degrees in C major. Am I right here? ( I ignore the half-diminished chords since they are there only to cause a chromatic feel.)

yes..C Major

it would be ii7..vi7..minor chords use lower case roman numerals...small detail..but if all you have is a chord chart in roman numerals it could be a big detail..

the half diminished chords could be very valuable harmonic tools as they are nice sounding in minor third symmetric movements...they could be thought of as:

Emi7b5 = C9 = Gmi6 = Gb7b9...depending on the function..the quality changes...

this is where a good study of diatonic harmony and chord inversions becomes invaluable

Then, I know some stuff about chord substitutions (families etc.) but I'm not really strong in this field yet.
With C as a bass, Am7 is Cm6. Does the opposite case hold true? I mean, with A as a bass is Cmaj7 the Am9?

Ami7 = CMA6 not minor...and yes CMA7 = Ami9

play well

wolf
Thanks a lot that really helped!
My gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Fender DG-11E Black (Acoustic)
-Marshall AVT50
-Cry Baby "Wylde Wah"
-Roland RE-20 Space Echo