Hey guys,

Got my Epi LP a few months ago, decided to put new strings on it (i dont know the stock strings are - but they were crap to start with and now dead)

Put Gibson LP UL's on and now theres a bit more buzzing all over the fretboard with a few frets being a little bit more problematic than the others.

Maybe the UL gauge (.009 - .042) is lighter than what was on before?
I took all the strings off to give the fretboard a clean then restrung it, maybe the neck moved? - the strings only wouldve been off for 10 mins max.

Assuming this is a truss rod issue, is it worth taking to a guy or doing myself? never played with a truss rod before, but will if advised to do so

Thanks!!!!!
you might have dropped the action on accident. i did that a couple weeks back
❒ Taken ❒ Single ✔ Would like a sandwich

Vereor Deus

Quote by dann_blood
Branding!?!? THAT'S TOO PROGRESSIVE! I say bring back settlement payments in weights of lead and impalement upon wooden stakes!

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Oh! Sorry, I thought that was a braille name tag.
take it into a pro and get them to set it up for you, the guys who live near me own a guitar store and made my strat copy free of fret buzz. If you dont know how to set up a guitar then taking it into someone always helps
If you've gone down a gauge there may be too little neck relief as the strings won't be exerting as much force onto the neck of your guitar. Sounds like you may need to put more bow in your neck by loosening the truss rod. By loosening the truss rod (lengthening it) it will have a little more give and the strings will be able to pull on the neck more, increasing the amount of bow.

The best analogy i've heard to explain this is to think of a bow and arrow. Imagine what the string would be like on the bow if the wooden piece was longer/shorter. This simplistically explains what's going on with a truss rod (the truss rod being the wooden bit).

HOWEVER. If you're uncertain of how to check neck relief/are not confident adjusting the tross rod then don't do it! I'm sure you're local tech/someone who knows what they're doing will be happy to do it for you.
Exactly, just compare the old e string with the new one... if the old one is bigger you probably had 10s on before you changed them.

If you liked the old ones you could just put 10s back on and avoid messing with the neck. But if they were too stiff for you or you want try out 9s then you could just give the truss rod a tiny turn.The thing is you need to make sure to make tiny adjustments until you get familiar with your guitar... 1/8 to 1/4 turn will make a big difference.

Taking it to a tech will solve the problem, but taking it to a tech for something that you will probably encounter often is not good. It's better to learn first hand how to set up your guitar and fix small problems like this your self. Avoiding the truss rod will probably cause you more grief over the life of your guitar than getting to know it will.

Just read up on"how to" before you do it... the only thing that I would suggest you never try to do yourself unless you have some prior experience or an old guitar to practice on is doing a fret level & crown, or anything under the hood.

Good luck!
~JP~
Last edited by Jammy Pige at Oct 25, 2009,