im thinking of buying this amp
its like the marshall mini halfy stacky sort of thing
i dont really know what it is
first of all id like to know
is it a decent enough amp...?
ive been playing for about ayear now and would like an amp to see me through my next couple of years before i get some more money and ican buy a better rig and stuff. i play mainly metal and rock. i play a peavey rotor ex with seymour duncans. secondly if i bought this amp, and just want like a little jam can i disconnect one of the speakers and take just one of them and the head out and use that...?
finally if this amp isnt very good do you have any suggestions...?
i dont have all the money in the world so be realisitic im only 15 xD
Attachments:
Mini-marshall.jpg
▲▼▲ Tired of wishing on a falling star, You gotta put your faith in a loud guitar!!▲▼▲
*opens topic*

*scan for pictures and see a MG-like stack*

*leaves thread*

seriously, don't buy this only because its Marshall and its a mini "stack". There's much better amp out there for the price.
To buy:

Line 6 MM4
Voodoo Lab power
Mesa Boogie Single rectifier
Done
Boss TU-3 Done
Shure SM58 Done

OUCH MY WALLET
In fairness the Lead 12 was actually a decent little amp but oh so impractical you could do much better for the money. I own one myself but it's more for the novelty than anything but it does get a surprisingly nice tone to it
I've never seen one of these in person nor played it so I can't say much. I just can never put this amp into perspective. Will if fit on my desk 'cause it is so mini? But it looks big? But its small? But its a full stack??
Do not get a Marshall MG (or a Line 6 spider III / IV). I suggest looking for a Peavey Vypyr, a Vox VT or a Roland Cube combo. They make different models. The higher wattage models sound better because they have better cicuits and moddeling, but since you don't have a lot of money, look for the best one you can afford.

Cheers and good luck
Quote by basilbrush
Do not get a Marshall MG (or a Line 6 spider III / IV). I suggest looking for a Peavey Vypyr, a Vox VT or a Roland Cube combo. They make different models. The higher wattage models sound better because they have better cicuits and moddeling, but since you don't have a lot of money, look for the best one you can afford.

Cheers and good luck

I don't think it's an MG but to TS yes you should look into a Microcube or possibly a Vypyr
what about a marshall haze 15 halfstack?

i believe its almost the exact same size, the same wattage, but all tube and sounds like a marshall should sound. i havent played one but i know rob chappers sports one for one of his small gig/practice amps. it's most likely out of you're budget at 800 for the head and a single cab, but it's definately worth saving up for i'd think. it may be a good median between the amp you want now and the amp you'll want in a few years because it can cover more territory than any solid state equivalent.

the thing with mini stacks and the whole, is it supposed to be small? look big? but is small? and sounds big? is that yes it's supposed to look big and cool, but the practicality of having a mini stack that small opposed to a half stack or a combo amp, is that its very portable and versitile. its easy to through your cables in your guitar case, cab in one hand, head in the other and walk on to a venue with no struggle. this also goes to say that its small enough for bedroom practice without breaking your windows, but still loud enough to keep up with a drummer at practice, and when either plugged into a 4x12 or close miked at a gig it sounds as big as the other bands full stacks (only miking one speaker out of 8 - very impractical).

i think the idea of buying a mini stack is a great one, but the objective of it being an MG is far from a good one. check out some other amps like this but in the all tube department, there's a big trend for low wattage tube amps at the moment (about 5-30W heads and 1x12 cabs). some goods ones to check out are the haze 15, the orange tiny terror and dual terror, vox night train, krank rev jr series, egnator rebel 20, blackheart handsom devil, randal RM20, and many other similar amps. all of those listed you can find on musiciansfriend.com, and most should be in some sort of local store.

PS. most of these are single channel amps, but if you are playing rock/metal this should suffice just fine, you may just have to get used to rolling of you're guitar volume to get a clean sound, which most tube amps will do just fine.
If you don't talk to your kids about GAS, who will?
Quote by iheartmy7
what about a marshall haze 15 halfstack?

i believe its almost the exact same size, the same wattage, but all tube and sounds like a marshall should sound. i havent played one but i know rob chappers sports one for one of his small gig/practice amps. it's most likely out of you're budget at 800 for the head and a single cab, but it's definately worth saving up for i'd think. it may be a good median between the amp you want now and the amp you'll want in a few years because it can cover more territory than any solid state equivalent.

the thing with mini stacks and the whole, is it supposed to be small? look big? but is small? and sounds big? is that yes it's supposed to look big and cool, but the practicality of having a mini stack that small opposed to a half stack or a combo amp, is that its very portable and versitile. its easy to through your cables in your guitar case, cab in one hand, head in the other and walk on to a venue with no struggle. this also goes to say that its small enough for bedroom practice without breaking your windows, but still loud enough to keep up with a drummer at practice, and when either plugged into a 4x12 or close miked at a gig it sounds as big as the other bands full stacks (only miking one speaker out of 8 - very impractical).

i think the idea of buying a mini stack is a great one, but the objective of it being an MG is far from a good one. check out some other amps like this but in the all tube department, there's a big trend for low wattage tube amps at the moment (about 5-30W heads and 1x12 cabs). some goods ones to check out are the haze 15, the orange tiny terror and dual terror, vox night train, krank rev jr series, egnator rebel 20, blackheart handsom devil, randal RM20, and many other similar amps. all of those listed you can find on musiciansfriend.com, and most should be in some sort of local store.

PS. most of these are single channel amps, but if you are playing rock/metal this should suffice just fine, you may just have to get used to rolling of you're guitar volume to get a clean sound, which most tube amps will do just fine.

Good advice but again, I don't think it's an MG.....
Its not an MG I believe.

There's something about that one which doesn't look MG-ish.

Regarding mini-stacks... they are a cool idea, but the selling point of ministacks really are just their aesthetic value. They look cute.

They can be great amps, yes, but more often than not, people will choose one over a half stack or a combo because they look cute.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
i basically need something bigger than the amp i have to run through my effects board...
i just need to know that it isnt going to be shit and crackle and fuzz and spaz like the amp i have at the moment...
▲▼▲ Tired of wishing on a falling star, You gotta put your faith in a loud guitar!!▲▼▲
what amp do you currently have at the moment, how do you run it? ex clean and overdrive pedals, modulation in the loop, all in front?

if you can tell me your exact signal path i'll help you out
well my guitar... then it runs through a tonelab... to a bb laster 15 watt starter amp thing on clean
i was going to get this marshall thing then just have it on clean cuz i get all my effects from the pedal not the amp.
you'd be much better off soundwise buying an amp to get both your clean and distorted sounds, you could still get the other effects from your tonelab if you use them by bypassing the preamp on the tonelab and running it through the effects loop.

i guess you could have... 3 options?
1. you could buy a really nice clean low watt tube amp and run your tonelab into it rather than your current amp as is.
2. get one of the amps i've recomended above, or a similar one, as long as it has an effects loop and pop your tonelab in there.
3. get one of those amps and drop your tonelab for either no effects or effects pedals, or strictly a multi effect with no distortion/preamp.

all 3 options increase in price, respectively.

i guess one of the main deciding factors is what you use on your tonelab, and what you can give up.
well currently the amp i have even when i have it on clean and have the volume on two it crackles and distorts so im just looking atbuying this marshall, its in a local shop near me and since i know the guy hes cut the price to like 100 quid so i was thinking of buying that. i would obv like to trade up when i get more money. i dont really want to get rid of my tonelab yet as it does such a lot of stuff i just ouldnt afford to replace it with all individual pedals and stuff so i dunno :/
maybe look for something like a used fender princeton or blues jr. something that functions as your current amp does but is all tube, then plug the vox into that.
your sound from running a tonelab into a tube amp over a solid state amp even like that marshall, will be a night and day difference as to what a basic tube amp will do for you.