Could someone please explain the difference between noise gate and compression/sustain? Basically, I want to know which one of these helps cut down on the excess string noise you get when strumming and that sometime occurs from certain distortions. I have a pretty basic set up: epiphone sg and I play through a Line 6 Spider III 15. It's a good amp especially for the price, but like I said, I want to be able to get a bit more of a tighter sound. Know what I mean? My amp has a built in noise gate, which I haven't tried yet. Think this will do the trick? I really don't know the difference between that vs a compression/sustainer pedal.
It is NOT a good amp for the price, unless you got it at least half price. It's a buzzy, disgusting amp.

Compression removes much of your picking dynamics and makes your notes roughly the same volume, noise gate cuts out unwanted humming and such when you're not playing.

Could be a technique problem, ie letting strings ring out when playing chords or something.
Use the money you would have used to buy a noise suppressor pedal to save up for a new amp .
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
spider 3 has a built in gate, which is pretty good tbh. Get the compression sustain, but use it spareingly like in solo's or lead lines cos it ruin rythm dynamics.
Hello
Any suggestions for a new amp? I am a recreational player. I take it seriously, but I don't play in bands or anything. I want something that's good for metal distortion, e.g. Metallica, Rammstein, etc. - something that sounds great palm-muted.
Well, I don't think I have the money for a decent tube. I'm thinking $500 or less.
USD? If that's the case you might be able to find something nice used, perhaps a B52 AT112 or something. I'm from Australia, so I can't really help you on that, but I'm sure there's some much more knowledgeable Americans lurking about that'll be able to help you.
if you still wanna go SS, a used randall might work. but bugera's a cheaper tube amp. their quality has increased from what i've heard. check out outlet zones on like AMS and stuff. don't forget to check out craigslist, i've seen a few nice amps on it before.
In addition to the Bugeras, check out the Blackstar HT-5 combo. It's right at the $500 mark and has a couple pretty useful features.
Squier VM Jazzmaster
Superfuzz/ RAT/ OCD /DE7/ Spring Chicken/ DL-4
Vox AC15C1/ Ampeg Jet 12T/ Guitar Rig