What is his playing technique?

I have watched his instructional dvd's but he doesn't actually discuss HOW HE PICKS.

The closest thing to that is his video on pick angles.

I have a few questions and I was wondering if you guys could help out.

1. Does Paul Gilbert anchor his wrist to the bridge or any part of the guitar during non-palm muted runs?

2. How does Paul mute unwanted strings from ringing out during picking and tapping.

Many thanks to those who will help out.
he always has a second person mute the strings with his hand at the top of the neck, and move away when the camera zooms out. he always picks the same string to get the picking sound but every note on other strings is actually a 'hammer on from no where'. he doesn't anchor but he does rest his hand on the bridge. his wrist also has a fourth movement beside oscillation, translation, and rotation, which he calls ***ulation

actually it's all just downstrokes

edit: nvm i looked closer. he is in fact playing on the top of the strings with the tip of his pick
Last edited by eddievanzant at Oct 25, 2009,
Quote by eddievanzant
he always has a second person mute the strings with his hand at the top of the neck, and move away when the camera zooms out. he always picks the same string to get the picking sound but every note on other strings is actually a 'hammer on from no where'. he doesn't anchor but he does rest his hand on the bridge. his wrist also has a fourth movement beside oscillation, translation, and rotation, which he calls ***ulation

actually it's all just downstrokes

edit: nvm i looked closer. he is in fact playing on the top of the strings with the tip of his pick

Where the **** are you ****ing talking about boy
^ Troll, don't listen to him

Edit: I mean Eddie not that guy
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
He anchors his pinky and sometimes rests his hand on the bridge it depends what techniques he is using and what style he is playing, hope this helps.
If you're playing single notes I don't see the point in muting, just don't pick the strings that you're not playing? As for powerchords you can mute strings with your index.

I don't think Paul Gilbert does it differently to everyone else really.
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
Quote by ChangeMyName
He anchors his pinky and sometimes rests his hand on the bridge it depends what techniques he is using and what style he is playing, hope this helps.

I've never seen him rest his pinky at all. He doesn't anchor, unless you count where his wrist is always at the bridge.

He mutes unwanted strings with both hands. If you're playing the A string, for instance, your fretting hand's fingers would mute the strings under it, while your picking hand would most likely be muting the top string.

When he taps, he might be wresting his picking hand on the strings he's not tapping, along with using his fretting hand for muting as well.
Quote by FallsDownStairs
I've never seen him rest his pinky at all. He doesn't anchor, unless you count where his wrist is always at the bridge.

He mutes unwanted strings with both hands. If you're playing the A string, for instance, your fretting hand's fingers would mute the strings under it, while your picking hand would most likely be muting the top string.

When he taps, he might be wresting his picking hand on the strings he's not tapping, along with using his fretting hand for muting as well.

so paul "anchors" his wrist on the bridge?
er squeze me PG nerd coming through.

right, *ahem* yes he anchors his wrist to the bridge, but obviously not on the string that this can palm mute them, however when he wants to do insane string skipping licks and the sort, he will just hover over the string rather than resting anything.

to answer question 2; theres alsorts that determine this, his tone, which although does have distortion most of the time, does not have "crushing overdrive" which helps. Also usually when paul is tapping he sticks to one strings, so he could rest his arm on the otehr string. Also he wraps his tapping hand around the neck, which also some times mutes some of the strings that could be likely to buzz. And finally years of practice.
-no sig-
Quote by Al4Project
er squeze me PG nerd coming through.

right, *ahem* yes he anchors his wrist to the bridge, but obviously not on the string that this can palm mute them, however when he wants to do insane string skipping licks and the sort, he will just hover over the string rather than resting anything.

to answer question 2; theres alsorts that determine this, his tone, which although does have distortion most of the time, does not have "crushing overdrive" which helps. Also usually when paul is tapping he sticks to one strings, so he could rest his arm on the otehr string. Also he wraps his tapping hand around the neck, which also some times mutes some of the strings that could be likely to buzz. And finally years of practice.

Thanks for the info!
Quote by xyrzrockrain
Thanks for the info!

no problem dude, is there any other info you need?
-no sig-
Gilbert mutes with both hands. Palm muting and left hand muting. As for anchoring, he doesn't. He doesn't need to. After all, he's the creator of life, the universe, and everything.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by Junior#1
Gilbert mutes with both hands. Palm muting and left hand muting. As for anchoring, he doesn't. He doesn't need to. After all, he's the creator of life, the universe, and everything.

Sig'd

For unknown reasons, this made me laugh.
Quote by Junior#1
1. Does Paul Gilbert anchor his wrist to the bridge or any part of the guitar during non-palm muted runs?

Sometimes, sometimes not.

2. How does Paul mute unwanted strings from ringing out during picking and tapping.

Lots of ways - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIEnzboW0Hc for a start.

He picks with lots of translation, a bit of rotation - ie, just think of it coming from the wrist.
In "The Get Out of My Yard instructional DVD" Paul Gilbert explain with detail how he holds the pick.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
First post! =D

Hey, i've been reading about anchor on this forum and i realized that i should try some of the unanchored side.
Paul Gilbert has a beautiful right hand technique, i will try to copy him.
I'm having a problem on muting strings with my pick hand, i mute them with the palm of my hand, so i keep the palm ALWAYS touching the strings, but im not resting it on them. Am I anchoring?
Yes, I read about 20 pages of the "Anchor or no anchor" topic. I've also seen your video about muting the strings and i said "if I have to mute like that, I'll go back to anchor", I would have to change my left hand technique too... But thank godness I can mute the strings with my palm, I'm so used to it!

Btw: Thanks for the tips man! You are the one who convinced me to unglue my hand!
Last edited by LeoLmX at Oct 28, 2009,
Just play in a way that is comfortable to you and casues no pain and you will be fine.

As with everything in life....if it hurts...stop doing it...simple as that.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
"if I have to mute like that, I'll go back to anchor",

It's not that different from what you're doing, cept my hand isn't "stuck" anywhere - and you will have to change your left hand technique if you're not muting with it anyway.

Thanks for the thanks, btw.