Long story short, I've been playing acoustic for about 7 months. Played bass in high school close to 20 years ago. I'm now itching for an electric 6 string.

My frustration is with picking out a guitar. I like both the single coil sound and a fatter humbucker sound, but I don't know which to prioritize. I'd like to play stuff like Rush and Zeppelin, but I also like SRV, Hendrix and Pink Floyd.

I was thinking about a HSS MIM Strat, but every one I tried (unplugged) at GC didn't feel right. They were all severely out of tune and buzzed. I'm sure they'd be a lot better if they were set up, but they weren't.

Are there other options I should look at? Are there any split coil humbucker guitars in the sub $500 range that sound "stratty" enough to pull off the styles I mentioned?
The HSS Strat sounds perfect for you. Just ask the store to set it up properly
DO IT LIVE
Quote by Corby1888
The HSS Strat sounds perfect for you. Just ask the store to set it up properly

+1 tell them you might buy and set one up for you. GC setups aren't the best but thier tech should get the job done

when i went in to buy my alexi 200 i had them tune it to drop C before i even bought it, so i could see how i liked it before buying.
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
You're going to find that almost all guitars in GC are horribly set up, rusty, sticky and out of tune. For the first time electric guitar buyer, it's a pretty disheartening experience. I suggest you just try a few out...feel how the neck feels in your hands, how it sits in your lap, etc. Plug in a few, test out the different pickup configurations...see if it has the general tone you're looking for.

It's pretty amazing to me that the GC employees don't wipe down the guitars once in a while and make sure they are somewhat in tune. One of the GC's around me has a Jackson SL2H soloist ($2000+) and the floyd is completely rusted out, a string is missing (thus making the whole thing completely out of tune), the selector knob missing, one of the locking nut clamps are missing, etc and they wonder why no one buys it.
Ibanez S7320
Peavey 5150 + Mesa 2x12 Rectifier
You could go for a versatile HSH like a Cort X-6 or the H-H coil split M600 and consider changing one or both the humbuckers later on.
Of the people you mentioned, I think only SRV always recorded with a Strat. Hendrix used Flying V and SG for most of the studio work and Gilmour mostly used an old Les Paul until he got a Strat with EMGs. With huge stage amps Strats sound pretty meaty but we don't all have quad 100w stacks handy.
Now, get down to the music store and select an amp first. Then try some guitars to cover the sound range you want.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

If you want something that has a decent price and would last go for schecter or LTD.

Schecter go for C1 (theres loads of series to choose)
LTD go for MH (or Horizon i fogot)
LTD or maybe one of the classic bc rich designs
"Life is an obscure hobo bumming a ride on the omnibus of art."
Quote by Lurcher
Hendrix used Flying V and SG for most of the studio work and Gilmour mostly used an old Les Paul until he got a Strat with EMGs. With huge stage amps Strats sound pretty meaty but we don't all have quad 100w stacks handy.
Now, get down to the music store and select an amp first. Then try some guitars to cover the sound range you want.

I don't think that's quite true. He used a variety of guitars for different things but to say he used SG's/V's for "most of the studio work" is a bit much.

As for the amps, well to say a strat doesn't sound meaty unless you're playing through monster amps just isn't true. A good tube amp/right EQ would give anyone enough punch, and for that matter so would a small bedroom amp. The HSS will give more meat than an SSS but either way they're meaty enough.

TS, i think that you should definitely look at the HSS strat and ask them to set it up properly. Not only are they great guitars (as is the case with some others that have been mentioned here) but judging by your influences playing a strat will parallel what they used, thus you're going to be able to recreate certain tones/feel like a badass when you play in front of a mirror.
Last edited by Duv at Oct 25, 2009,
Thanks for the feedback. I'll give the HSS Strat another chance.