Page 1 of 6
Saw this on cracked and thought this would be interesting to do, and besides, I'm bored. Also, no flaming about beliefs whatsoever.

0-6
I didn't really care about any religion or deity as I was raised secular, and I never thought about it at all as I didn't really see it as anything important. I guess I believed in some sort of deity, but not in the Judeo-Christian sense.

7-12
This is when I started turning Christian because of the Church of England school I went to. We regularly went to church, sang hymns (bleh) and got read stories from the bible. I was scared of hell after the first few months as I was unused to the whole idea, but gradually I started believing in God and Jesus and thinking that all other religions were nonsense. It stayed like that until I went to secondary school, were there were a few Christians, but the majority of pupils, and my class mates were agnostic or secular. I still had a pocket bible from primary school and read that in any reading time we had (partly because I had no other books with me). I asked people why they didn't believe what I believed and their answers made a lot of sense. This was when my faith started to fail.

12-14
I started seriously questioning religion, and asked my secular parents about anything I was curious about. They gave pretty good answers and helped me become agnostic, and stop praying regularly. As I got access to the internet I researched it and struggled with the usual dilemmas of being non-religious, eg. Morality and pascal's wager. I eventually concluded there was no Christian god and wondered about how everything came to be. I also learned about evolution and thought about how, if there was a god, and he didn't create everything how it is now, how it be called god?

15- Now
After reading the God Delusion and debating with others about relgion, I have become a new atheist. I think religion is a load of rubbish and impedes science, which I am really interested in now. I will openly engage someone in debate about religion and evolution and feel perfectly happy and fulfilled, with no fear of anything death etc. I am happy where I am and am glad I can see nature in all it's natural glory without thinking there are fairies behind it (sorry Bertrand Russell).

That's my story, what about your's?

Quote by Spoonman69
Rap is music,far better than metal for example. id much rather hear about hoes and anal sex than dragons and supressed homosexuality.
This is a Christian website and we don't appreciate your shenanigans here.
Quote by kayaress one

Sir, I love you.

0-9 Ignorant follower of my parents Christian bullcrap.
9-Now Self thinking agnostic/homodeist.
"Life is an obscure hobo bumming a ride on the omnibus of art."
I don't remember when I became athiest but my parents tell me it's something like this ;

0 - 4 ; Had no concept of religion
4 - Present ; Athiest

Don't let your boat be empty, don't be a sunken dream
Don't let the boat regret thee, for what you could have seen

Quote by sashki
0-6
Read books which refered to greek mythology. Thought "God" and "Zeus" were the same thing. Didn't care.

7-Now
Atheist

0-4: Too busy sucking, pooping and discovering what genitals did too care.

5-14: Banned from church for promoting zaionism with pokemon.

15-Now: Found Zordonism.
-no sig-
Mine was fairly simple actually.

0-6:
Didn't really care for or about religion, I ignored anything religious as it bored me to tears. I still believed in a god, however.
6-12:
I started asking my dad, who had been trained to become a priest, about what he believed. He wouldn't say much, which is a good thing; I would swallow anything he said as fact. I'm fairly certain that, then at least, he wanted me to form my own opinions. I had never been forced to go to church. I believed in a god, and labeled myself as a baptist, but I never really had done anything concerning that group.
13-14:
A slow crawl into agnosticism. I didn't believe in a god, but I felt certain that no person could prove it either way.
15-Now:
I'm now atheist. I started recognizing patterns in religions, realizing they were always used to cover up what we didn't readily know. They are used as a base of sorts; they give a false sense of certainty to most. I feel that most, or all, of religions claims can be disproved. My family respects my decisions, somewhat, but my dad is constantly trying to convince me that there is a god.
Last edited by that_1_dude24 at Oct 25, 2009,
0-13: Christian
13-14: A little less Christian
14-15(now): More Christian then ever as my faith has been restored
So that with good courage we say, “The Lord is my helper. I will not fear. What can man do to me?”

-Hebrews 13:6
0-14 - Agnostic

15-17 - Atheist

18 - Nihilist

Seems like a good evolution to me

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
0-13 Roman Catholic like my parents
14-15 Read the Bible, refuse to swallow it, sit on the fence for a while
16-present, read many more books on religion, discuss it in the religion thread, become an Agnostic-Atheist.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by that_1_dude24
I feel that most, or all, of religions claims can be disproved.

godisimaginary.com

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
0-10: No clue, my grandmom used to say prayers with my every evening but I don't remember what I believed. Do you people actually remember things from this age?

10-20: Didn't affiliate with any religion/belief/other

20-Now: Firm believer in igneusthphism. Can't spell it though.

Quote by SPBY

So many logical fallacies... I'm actually sad that people associate non-believers with people who wrote that stuff
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Last edited by Kensai at Oct 25, 2009,
0-11: Christian because my parents were. Hated church.
12-13: Devoted Christian.
14-Now: Realized I hated being a full times christian and applied for part time christian. Still waiting for the application to be processed; in the meantime I am searching the classifieds for a good one.
Quote by denfilade
For a moment I thought velcro shoes were ones with the whole bottom made of velcro

She could walk up your pubes with those

Quote by kannon
this post has aids
Quote by NinjaSlayHuman
and 07'ers will always be well-respected members of UG society.
0-12
I dunno, didn't really care about religion, but I went to Catholic schools

13-now
Realized that there's no proof either way about a god's existence, but it doesn't really matter since the underlying message of religion is usually "be good to people". Besides, heaven sounds pretty bitching so I don't want to miss out on that.
0-12: N/A (never went to Church, had no concern in deities or anything of that sort been in Temple maybe two-three times for bar mitzvah's)
12-15: Some sort of Agnosticism maybe
15-present: Agnostic Atheism
Last edited by RU Experienced? at Oct 25, 2009,
0-10: I was raised Christian but I was young, and I didn't really care too much.
10-12: I became a bit more Christian, but mostly it was the same.
13-17 (now): I abandoned Christianity was just an atheist for a while. Then, I began to search for a different philosophy. I currently consider myself an Existentialist.
0-8 believed in god, christian science
9 decided it was BS
11 told mom
15 finally didn't have to go to church anymore.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Quote by TrabenBassist22
0-13: Christian
13-14: A little less Christian
14-15(now): More Christian then ever as my faith has been restored

Pretty much the same, my parents are Christian but they have never tried scaring me into believing it and they never told me anything much more than where I could find some information if I wanted to look into it.
0 - 38 Agnostic (lapsed)
39 - now Pagan 'cos it makes more sense than fairy tales and its good to have friends in high places.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

0 - 12 An okay catholic. I mean when you're that young all the teachers are trying to force you to be good christians, and if you do anything wrong and sinful all your friends start telling you you're going to hell. And any questions about God and Jesus at all will make people really mad. So, yea, I sort of went with the flow with that.

13 - now sort of thinking twice. I still do believe in God, but perhaps not in the strict, roman catholic way anymore. I think there is a supreme being, but not the type that banishes people to the pits of hell for not going to church or for not following christianity. I think good people, christians or otherwise, will be rewarded. And whatever happenes to everyone else, so be it.

And just to rant a bit, I seriously hate it when people try to tell me that if I don't start going to church, I'll go to hell. Anyone else have issues with this?
0-9 Didn't give a damn about religion

10-13 Went to church from time to time just to find it boring, making me not believe in god.

14 I believe in some kind of life beyond us, but not in the bible because it was written by "man" and I don't believe that church is the right way to worship this god of ours.
DeVillains!
Quote by mrwaffles
I currently consider myself an Existentialist.

...lol

I can't really say too much. I was wishy washy interested slash not at all caring until I was about 16 or 17. I discovered creationism and it completely and utterly blew my mind. I started watching creationist videos for comedic reasons and I just got interested in how people can believe that the world got 6000 years old. From here I got really interested in belief and non belief and I'm still so today.
0-13 Roman Catholic (but spent most of my time on the fence)

13-15 did some reading, read the bible and a bunch of other philosophical/relgious tracts, called myself agnostic

16-17 considered myself an athiest, though i wasn't really "concrete" in my decision

17-now i believe in "the universe" in a way, not that someone created everything, but a cosmic force called the universe created life and whatnot. i'm a hippy-ish kinda person. let's just say i believe in the universe.
that's cool that you did some research on your own. your curiosity alone makes the existence of god, or wutever u wanna call it, even more possible.
lemme ask you this...do u know what a unicorn is? ...no one has seen one yet we all know wut im talking about. some things are metaphysical which make it hard to describe physically...like love or happiness or the world. but just cuz u cant describe it in a rational physical way doesnt mean it can't exist.

what do u think about pascal's wager?????? i think about that a lot. if u believe in the soul, which most musicians/artists do, then your religious or at least spiritual which is asscoiated with religion...no matter what u call yourself. agnostic, Nihilist, atheist. u may say the defintion of atheism is not believing in god...but even that seems religious. its just another perspective from the same spectrum. like the duality of good and bad. you cant belive in goodness without believing in badness.

i've always thought of myself as a modern christian that adopts the values of the church in a way that makes sense in the modern world.

science is great for reliability and rationality but no human is perfect. human error makes me believe religion is important for everyone. above all, science will never be able to explain how the universe started. for that reason alone, everyone should consider believing in the existence of god...or wutever u wanna call it.

as u can see, i love talkin about this shit. im not tryng to convert anyone. most christians would probally disagree with me on things cuz a lot of christians interpret the bible/religion/god in a literal way. i feel its this literal interpretation that makes most people defer from god/religion. i belief life is very symbolic. is there a religion that bases itself on symbols alone??
My mum is sort of christian although not very strongly and she used to take our family up to church every sunday up until I was five when we stopped going because I kept complaining about walking up the hill

I can also remember talking to a guy who lives two doors down from me when I was pretty young about the world and he said something about Adam and Eve and I was pretty much dumbfounded that he actually believed that crap although I didn't really have anything to say to him when he asked me what else could have happened since I was still pretty ignorant of science etc.

Up until secondary school I never really thought much about religion but our secondary school RE teacher told us about agnosticism/atheism and I sort of thought that's basically what I was. I stayed an agnostic with a pretty much open mind to the whole question right up until I joined UG and stumbled across the creationism vs Evolution thread. When I saw the stupidity of some of the religous people I became a pretty convinced atheist.

Right now I'm hovering between Ignostic and Agnostic Atheist.
0-5 nothing
5-13 baptized catholic at 5. became an altar server. etc, etc.
13-17 realized that i didn't believe in god when going through confirmation prep. became sort of a deist at first. then an atheist. then back to deist.
17-19 became recatholicized. very traditionalist. tridentine rite. SSPX patron. etc.
19-present faith crumbles to perceived inconsistencies in the doctrine of extra ecclesia nulla sallus. still atheist, but wondering if i was wrong. currently reading some specific parts of the summa and having regular discourse over it with my theology major/jesuit-hopeful friend.

also considering orthodoxy.

also still considering that they're both BS.
#DTWD
0-13: Raised Christian, was very happy, life was simple.
13-19: I bought into religious dogma.
19- 22 (now): I've been in the process of relearning true Christianity. Realizing a lot of things that I should have been taught but never was.
We're only strays.
Quote by burythebully
*turd*

You are 12 and what is this...
Obvious Christian is Obvious...
and lern2grammor.

join Zordonism.
-no sig-
Quote by Craigo
...lol

I can't really say too much. I was wishy washy interested slash not at all caring until I was about 16 or 17. I discovered creationism and it completely and utterly blew my mind. I started watching creationist videos for comedic reasons and I just got interested in how people can believe that the world got 6000 years old. From here I got really interested in belief and non belief and I'm still so today.

Not a fan of Existentialism? Beats Nihilism if you ask me. I suppose I fall under Absurdism more than Existentialism.
0-11 Half-ass catholic, because that's how I was raised. Went to a catholic school. At 12 I got out of private school and religion slowly started fading.

11-now
I was always interested in Taoism and Buddhism. So I'm a weird combination of those and christian just because I can't bring myself to fully let go of something I was raised on and was present through my whole childhood. I have vague and off-balance religious beliefs.
Today I feel electric grey
I hope tomorrow, neon black
Quote by Al4Project
You are 12 and what is this...
Obvious Christian is Obvious...
and lern2grammor.

join Zordonism.

don't be a dick.
#DTWD
Quote by mrwaffles
Not a fan of Existentialism? Beats Nihilism if you ask me. I suppose I fall under Absurdism more than Existentialism.

Those are philosophical positions not religions.
Quote by Nietsche
Those are philosophical positions not religions.

True, but "atheist" is such an overused umbrella term that I felt like being a bit more specific. Also, is that not just playing the game of semantics? Religion and philosophy are closely tied together if you ask me.
Last edited by mrwaffles at Oct 25, 2009,
0-10 I new there was religion but never thought a thing of it, I just assumed there was a god and heaven above.

10-17 I began to notice religion more and questioned the truth to it. I was more or less Agnostic

17-19 (now) I undertook a spiritual revelation. I questioned everything in its existence, religion, governments, society, space, time, human nature, nature, anything and everything else. I am still in questioning all these things today. I have however come to the conclusion that there is a bigger picture than what any religious man or atheist man is aware of. I'm not going to try to explain it because everyone will tell me to quit taking drugs and see how I feel so I'll just leave it at this, I'm spiritual but not religious.
There is a war going on for your mind.

If you are thinking, you are winning.

Resistance is victory.

We are building up a new world.
Do not sit idly by.
Quote by mrwaffles

Existentialism admits nihilism. That's the point of Existentialism - it's a cheap way to escape nihilism but it doesn't really escape it at all. The fundamental aspect of it is that it is nihilism - it's why it 'works'.
Quote by mrwaffles
True, but "atheist" is such an overused umbrella term that I felt like being a bit more specific. Also, is that not just playing the game of semantics? Religion and philosophy are closely tied together if you ask me.

And if you ask me saying that Philosophy has close ties to religions is like saying that medical science has close ties to shaman witch doctor voodoo. But that's an argument probably better suited for the religion and philosophy thread.